Quicken running slow

For last several months my quicken has been slow. I see others complaining of this here but the discussions all seem to be closed with no answers. I thought it might be internet related at one point but I've eliminated that by moving my file to local and not syncing and still have a problem. Besides the internet seems better now that it was a few months ago but quicken still slow. Everytime I enter a transaction I have to wait while quicken spins the wheel. When you have 100s of transactions those few seconds really matter and it is really annoying. This is a new problem and I don't believe it is on my end as I have seen other complaints. I am running Quicken home, business and Rental 2020, Ver. R27.28, Build 27.1.27.28. I keep my computer up to date on everything I can.

Answers

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @karen m
    Thank you for posting about your concern. Please see each step in the following 3 articles to see if you can restore the speed of using Quicken as expected: 
    Based on the information provided in your post, I am unable to determine an exact root cause of your programs' slowdown. It will take some additional troubleshooting to resolve the issue definitively. 
    If need be, you are welcome to contact support directly for one-on-one help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow performance?

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. You can also try to drag and drop or copy and paste the image. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭
    OK, here is what I could find.
    No accounts with more than 4000 transactions.
    File size is 180mb
    File information attached.
    It is possible that OneDrive is accessing my data file as I do keep that file on my computer under OneDrive. I hadn't thought of that as an issue as was thinking that it was on my computer but guess It is syncing with OneDrive.
    For RAM, I think it is saying 16GB DDR3 and right now with quicken open and other stuff open 6.1GB is being used.

I am running windows 10 Pro version 1903.

Let me know what else you might need to help. It was funny cause just opening the account list and scrolling through it even is slow. It does act like it is just too big.
    I am going to move the file also to just my local PC and see if that makes a difference. I will let you know.
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭
    Well, I looked again and it shows the file I'm using is on my local PC and not under my One drive folder. I forgot to send the file name as well as wasn't sure how to get the entire name. Here is the path though: C:\Users\Munsell\Documents\Quicken
    and the actual current file name I am working with:
    Quicken file on Euless PC 5.16.20.QDF
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chances are that onedrive is syncing the documents folder.  Please verify via file explorer that there is no green icon next to that file name.  If there is you need to remove it from onedrive syncing. 
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob_L said:
    Chances are that onedrive is syncing the documents folder.  Please verify via file explorer that there is no green icon next to that file name.  If there is you need to remove it from onedrive syncing. 
    No OneDrive isn't syncing the Documents folder.  When it is the path will look like this:
    C:\Users\Chris\OneDrive\Documents
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is the slowness with every account, or just one/some of them?
    Are the slow entry accounts investment accounts?
    Signature:
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭
    Its a general slowness with the whole program. None are investment accounts. I notice the issue primarily when I am accepting downloaded transactions. I used to be able to enter them as fast as I could click and add the categories and/or tags but now between each entry, I get a circle while it "processes". It only last a second or two but is so frustrating. Do you think it I reinstalled quicken that might clear anything?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    karen m said:
    Do you think it I reinstalled quicken that might clear anything?
    It might help, but first do this procedure to get a clean uninstall.  Be sure to do the "Second" step as in getting rid of the old folders/files is important.
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.