Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

View Rent Receipts Crash Quicken

Clicking on "View Rent Receipts" will crash Quicken every time.
Note: Create Rent Receipts seem to be working.

Answers

• Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Has this been a very recent issue or has it happened prior? What version of quicken are you currently running. You can check by going across the top to help > About Quicken. 

I would also recommend looking at our support article here as well for additional troubleshooting steps. The step I would specifically try would be step for with the copy and validating of the file.

When you get a chance let us know a bit more information and report back if you've tried any other troubleshooting as well.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Gamal MustafaGamal Mustafa Member ✭✭✭
    It is the first time I ever tried that feature.

Year:      2020
    Version: R27.28
    Build:     27.1.27.28

Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Has this been a very recent issue or has it happened prior? What version of quicken are you currently running. You can check by going across the top to help > About Quicken. 

I would also recommend looking at our support article here as well for additional troubleshooting steps. The step I would specifically try would be step for with the copy and validating of the file.

When you get a chance let us know a bit more information and report back if you've tried any other troubleshooting as well.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

It is the first time I ever tried that feature.

Year:      2020
    Version: R27.28
    Build:     27.1.27.28

I just did a File > File Operations > Copy
    and a File > File Operations > Validate & Repair > Validate in the new file.

This is the result:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Tue Jul 21 18:01:32 2020]

File: "C:\FILE" 

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category.  Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it.  Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Tue Jul 21 18:03:26 2020]

[Tue Jul 21 18:03:45 2020]
    Reset all printer settings.
    Repair price history: 0 price(s) repaired.
    [Tue Jul 21 18:04:43 2020]

[Tue Jul 21 18:06:09 2020]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 21/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I created a new file and tried that feature. It worked.
    Then, after the copy and validate, I tried it again on my original file and it worked this time!!!

I had to delete some Receipt with strange dates....
    Also there is an "invisible" property
    On the select property I can see "All", "            " and "Property One"
    I spoke too soon... Today is crashing again.
  • Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod
    @Gamal Mustafa

Thanks for the updates! Since we're still crashing next we'll try to see if we're able to change anything by installing a mondo patch. The mondo patch can be found in the link down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

It also has instructions on how to install it. Since it's the first time you ever tried the feature I'm not sure if the issue itself was caused by updating but it's worth trying to see if we're able to get any change. 

Try it out and let us know how it goes!

Thanks
    Quicken Francisco
    @Gamal Mustafa

Thanks for the updates! Since we're still crashing next we'll try to see if we're able to change anything by installing a mondo patch. The mondo patch can be found in the link down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

It also has instructions on how to install it. Since it's the first time you ever tried the feature I'm not sure if the issue itself was caused by updating but it's worth trying to see if we're able to get any change. 

Try it out and let us know how it goes!

Thanks
    Quicken Francisco
    Ok I follow the instruction and did te new instalation:
    Year: 2020
    Version R27.28
    Build: 27.1.27.28

Went to Rental and clicked on Properties & Tenants, clicled con View Rental Receipt 
    and it crashed.. twice... BTW: sometime when I do OSU it also crashed...

or it will pop up a window saying quicken is not respoding

BTW: It keep repearing something in category, but I am not sure what. I tried to reuild the categories again... but that did not help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Thu Jul 23 18:34:24 2020]

File: "C:\QuickenFile" 

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category.  Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:

[Thu Jul 23 18:35:58 2020]
    Analyzing securities.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I upgraded to:
    Year: 2020
    Version R27.42
    Build: 27.1.27.42

The same problem: Clicking on "View Rent Receipts" will always crash Quicken
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Gamal Mustafa

I'm sorry to hear that the crashing issue persists and apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

I've taken the liberty of reviewing the submitted crash reports and the data points towards a system-related issue, however since this behavior does not occur in a test file, it does point more towards an issue with the specific data file.

If you haven't already, I would recommend creating a copy of your data file by going to the File menu > File Operations > Copy option.

When prompted, open the copied file and once more run the Validate & Repair tool, ensuring to close and re-open Quicken once the validation has completed.

Once you are back in the copied file, please try once more to select the "View Rent Receipts" button.  Does the crash still occur?

If so, have you attempted to restore a backup copy of the data file?  Does the crash still occur in the backup file?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
    Hi Sarah, I have already created various copy. I am at copy #9. Every time I do a Validate. Now sometimes it open and sometimes it crash. The same when I do a One Step Update.... it takes a long time and sometimes it also crash....
    Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you for confirming that you have attempted to create a copy of the file.  To double-check - does this crash occur in a backup copy of the data file?

Thank you again,

Sarah
    Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you for confirming that you have attempted to create a copy of the file.  To double-check - does this crash occur in a backup copy of the data file?

Thank you again,

Sarah
    Yes. Old copy or New copy. 
    Budget just crashed too and somehow it was deleted automatically, It say something about not been able to access an account before that happened.

Also I notice, that is I go to Savings Analysis and then select Customize Savings and select any of the accounts and Categories.... I can select accounts that do not exist like

ACCT_148b9
    Unspecified Account
    Unspecified Bill Presentment Account

If I try to create an account called "ACCT_148b9" I get "Name already in use."
    the same for "Unspecified Account" and "Unspecified Bill Presentment Account"

Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you for providing those additional details.  Where we are not able to reproduce this behavior in our personal data files, in order to investigate this matter further we would need a copy of a data file where this behavior can be reproduced.

Please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".

In the window that opens, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line, mark the box for the Sanitized data file copy and click Send to Quicken.

Sanitizing the file removes all personally identifiable information, including financial institution login credentials and obfuscates the transaction data to ensure your privacy remains intact.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can retrieve the report from the system.

Thank you,

Sarah

Quick question in the Sanitizes file do you see the info in comments? I usually store a password in that area.
    Hi Gamal, yes any info entered in the notes/comments column of the register are also removed.

Hope this helps - Sarah
    Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you for providing those additional details.  Where we are not able to reproduce this behavior in our personal data files, in order to investigate this matter further we would need a copy of a data file where this behavior can be reproduced.

In the window that opens, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line, mark the box for the Sanitized data file copy and click Send to Quicken.

Sanitizing the file removes all personally identifiable information, including financial institution login credentials and obfuscates the transaction data to ensure your privacy remains intact.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can retrieve the report from the system.

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I just sent the "Report a Problem" with the Sanitize file.

Thanks,

Gamal
    Hi Gamal, yes any info entered in the notes/comments column of the register are also removed.

Hope this helps - Sarah
    Did you get the file?
    I have been using quicken since 1993, but I am very frustrated with Quicken 2020.
    First, it will cash for no reason or pattern. Especially doing OSU or using the "Rental Property" features... The other thing is that out of nowhere it will delete some of the categories from very old transactions... Not sure what else could be doing that is the things I notice. I have to back up every day and also "go to spending" to check if "in all categories per Percentage of total: 100%", because when that change I know the file got corrupted.
  • Quicken JulioQuicken Julio Moderator, Employee mod
    Hi @Gamal Mustafa,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

If you suspect that your data file is damaged/corrupt, I would recommend validating the file.

This can be accomplished by going to File File Operations > Copy. Make sure you do not choose Year End Copy for this procedure. Leave all settings default and hit OK. Once copy is complete, select Open New Copy.

In the New Copy, go to File File Operations > Validate & Repair Validate File to ensure there are no lingering issues with the data in this file. If you have issues with Investment account(s) slowness or other data issues with an investment account, be sure to also select Rebuild Lots during this procedure.

After the Validation process is finished, review the Data_Log.txt for messages pertaining to the quality of your data and resolve any that are advised with instructions you should follow.

If you receive the message "Damaged data block" in the Data_Log after the Validation completes, the file is not repairable. We recommend restoring a backup from prior to the date listed on this message.

Feel free to respond to this thread with any additional questions or concerns.
    Best,
    JV
    Hi @Gamal Mustafa,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

If you suspect that your data file is damaged/corrupt, I would recommend validating the file.

This can be accomplished by going to File File Operations > Copy. Make sure you do not choose Year End Copy for this procedure. Leave all settings default and hit OK. Once copy is complete, select Open New Copy.

In the New Copy, go to File File Operations > Validate & Repair Validate File to ensure there are no lingering issues with the data in this file. If you have issues with Investment account(s) slowness or other data issues with an investment account, be sure to also select Rebuild Lots during this procedure.

After the Validation process is finished, review the Data_Log.txt for messages pertaining to the quality of your data and resolve any that are advised with instructions you should follow.

If you receive the message "Damaged data block" in the Data_Log after the Validation completes, the file is not repairable. We recommend restoring a backup from prior to the date listed on this message.

Feel free to respond to this thread with any additional questions or concerns.
    I have done several copy (I am at copy #8) also several validate and super-validate.
    I will try one now and post the result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Thu Sep 03 16:52:23 2020]

File: "C:\MYFILE8" 

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index.  No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information.  No action required.
     "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_14a3d"  0/ 0/1900

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts.  No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:

[Thu Sep 03 16:55:09 2020]

[Thu Sep 03 17:01:56 2020]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Analyzing securities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does "fix" accounts sometimes... however, that account "ACCT_14a3d" does not exist.... next time I run this it will be ok then, and then after a while, if I run validate again it will "fix" another random unexistent account name "ACCT_xxxxx"

I will always say: "Fixed damaged category.  Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List."
    Hello @Gamal Mustafa

Thank you,

Sarah

Did you ever get the file?