quicken out of the blue not reconciling with the bank.

I’ve been using quicken for years. I reconcile with the bank 2 or 3 times a week. reconciled 7/9 and everything was good. A few days later quicken said I have $500 more than the bank says. I went back to 6/1, line item by line item and they all match the bank. I can’t find anything wrong. Why the difference?

Comments

• DBW2020
    DBW2020 Member ✭✭
    I have same problem and have a ticket in with product support (they have called me back twice but I was unable to answer).
    I have discovered two things. One is a "Live Balance Adjustment" entry at the very beginning of my bank account listing. No idea how that was generated.
    The second is the amount off is now exactly the original balance with which I opened the account. This was after I realized I had duplicates as described next.
    I have also noticed that manually entered expenses no longer align with downloaded values (they double up). I had to delete several entries due to this doubling. Also, the ability to drag one onto the other to show these are duplicates also evaporated.
    These problems all presented themselves when I updated to 5.17.2 a few days ago.
  • DBW2020
    DBW2020 Member ✭✭
    I did not notice this was in the Windows area. I have same issue on the Mac version.
  • Doug B.
    Doug B. Member
    I checked the beginning balance as you suggested and that’s not the same number. I’ve done all the math on both sides and it’s correct in both sides. One day it’s all good and the next, poof...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug B. said:
    I checked the beginning balance as you suggested and that’s not the same number. I’ve done all the math on both sides and it’s correct in both sides. One day it’s all good and the next, poof...

Go back in time, comparing the monthly Statement Ending Balances to the running balance in your Quicken account register to find where the balances match again. From there, going forward month after month, compare statement and register entries until you find the discrepancy.
    Somewhere a transaction was changed or deleted that shouldn't have been changed. Most likely, a transfer transaction was changed from a transfer to a Category. This removes the other half of a linked transfer transaction, causing the account balance difference.
This discussion has been closed.