Quicken not responding

I am using quicken 2011 on windows 7 and for some reason when I am using it all of a sudden it just becomes unusable and it turns gray and at the top it sais not responding
It just does it randomly once could be as soon as I open it or just in the middle or right after entering some data
Does anyone know what is causing this ?
I hear the disk crunching away during this time
Is it doing some kind of backup or updates ?
I turned off the backup but it's still doing it so I am not sure what else could it be
Am I running out of disk space and it's doing some compacting ?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Check to see if your Quicken software has all available patch files installed

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+
    When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

2)  You had crashes. Perform Step (2) of

Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

to make sure your Quicken data file is in good working order.
    3) If you are using MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup program ensure that your active Quicken data file is NOT accessed by it while Quicken is running. Instead, send the Automatic Backup that Quicken is creating to the cloud backup program every time you close Quicken.

• status1
    status1 Member
    Thanks for the reply
    1 I downloaded the patches but did not install them yet
    I doubt it has anything to do with the patches because I did not have any issues like this for years until just recently

3 I am not using any cloud backup I even turned off the automatic backup of Quicken just to eliminate that possibility
    When I opened it today for the first time today to check the version I had to wait about 3 minutes to finish whatever it was doing It was not a crash it was just accessing the disk continuously so I had the hourglass on the page and I could hear the noise coming from the hard drive but I could work on other programs

2 I did the validation but it did not find anything that would explain this long delay There was no read errors and all internal consistency checks passed
    There was some stock splits that were missing and some securities that were dated in the future but that was from a few years ago so I don't see that causing any problems now

I was leaning toward the idea that there is a posibility that maybe I have reached the maximum amount of data that quicken can handle but I am not sure about that since it doesn't do it all the time