Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

No password needed for update account??

Using Qkn Premier 27.1.27.28 for PC. I see there is no longer a password required to enter into the Online update for this account/One Step Update setting dialog box. I am so used to entering my password from last version update. Either this is new norm, to not have to enter password, or I have a problem. Anyone else have same issue?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @bluzchaser,

Just an FYI - I, similar to you had avoided using the password vault for many years, and also had a similar experience as you just had, with not needing to enter a password for one account.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.

Anyway I am glad you have your answer, and happy to help!

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Accepted Answer
    Trini said:
    Thank you folks for bringing this up. I just had the same problem on one of my accounts. And read the same message when I clicked on the ? How do I get into the pwd vault to check. Is it the same as my Quicken online pwd. I have never used the vault or put anything in it, so how do I get in to remove the acct pwd and get back to inputting the pwd manually when I update using one step. Note this only happened for one of my accts, the others I still type in the pwd. Hopefully they remain that way and I can fix the acct that someone other than me decided to put the pwd in a vault!
    The EWC (under QCS) account's password is NOT stored in the Password Vault in your Quicken data file, it is stored on the Quicken aggregation server that logs into the financial institutions overnight to collect and aggregate the transactions for later download by the Quicken program on your computer from the aggregation server.
    See this article for how the EWC process works: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Trini said:
    Ok. So this is not the password vault that comes up when you click on manage password in one step update settings? When I click on manage passwords in one step it asks me to enter a vault pwd. So if not there, how do I get back to typing in my password as opposed to having it stored somewhere by Quicken?
    You don't. This is the new process for Quicken EWC downloads.  Would you prefer that Quicken continue to ask you for a password that they have already stored on the aggregation server to do the nightly data collection? (see the link in previous post) 
    If you are not happy with their change, I suggest you contact Quicken Support and complain to them, in general except for the moderators, we are all just Quicken users trying to help others.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    No.  The FDS to QCS conversion is still in rollout, so there is not a lot known about all of the details yet.
    Quicken Support  should be able to answer that question.  If you get an answer, please respond back here with it for others to know.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trini said:
    Any idea how to change a password under this new system?
    I don't think there is a password any more, which is great news!
    Note this message at in the Edit Password Vault:

The "Not required" is "telling" for me and I just did a test where I changed my Macy's credit card password and the update worked fine.

I believe they have gone to OAUTH or something like it.
    This is an encryption system that exchanges "tokens" instead:
    https://oauth.net/2/

As when first setup there is an exchange of "signed" information so that Quicken can send information that has been encrypted based on that token that only it and the service that it has exchanged this information with know about.

Edit:

I'm going to add some of the benefits of a system like OAUTH.

It is more secure.  In this system the "tokens" are regularly update, and there isn't any way to "guess your password".

One of the major problems with Express Web Connect has always been that the server is "logging in as you".  And as such the financial institution's log in procedures apply.  So when the financial institution changes anything like that the updates fail.  Just for fact that they will now be using a set protocol should help emensly.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    P.S.  Your password would be used the very first time the account is setup for this system just so that it knows you a the person authorized to access the account.

And actually whereas I believe that not using passwords any more is a "good thing", people that have been relying on not putting in their password in Quicken to block anyone from updating are not going to be happy with this change.
    Signature:
  • bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    To Frankx, splasher, Chris_QPW and GeoffG and other users joining in my query regarding the "No password needed for update account" question.
    I had indicated earlier I would contact Quicken for resolution. I see now there is no need to do that after all the super responses.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which password specifically are you asking about?
    There are multiple passwords used in Quicken:
    • Quicken ID and password
    • Data file password
    • Transaction password
    • Password Vault password
    • Password to each individual bank account, usually stored in the Password Vault
  • bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    It's regarding the QKN Register. I am addressing. FYI..To update my QKN checking register with MY credit union's checking balance, I would access the right-hand Settings icon (ctrl+shift+N) UPDATE. This brings up the dialog box in which I would normally enter my credit union's required password to allow my credit union to update my checking account register. But since QKN updated my version to 27.1.27.28 recently, I seem to be freely able to access my credit union WITHOUT entering a password. All I am interested in, is finding out if I have a bug, or if this new QKN version no longer requires a need to enter a password to access my credit union account. I never saw any notice that Quicken would eliminate the need for a password in order to enter ones' banking or credit union account. The new version being (27.1.27.28)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bluzchaser,

You said " I seem to be freely able to access my credit union WITHOUT entering a password." Have you actually tried to Update the account in question, or have you stopped because of the change in Quicken's apparent behavior from what you have historically done?  If you've stopped, please go ahead and try to update the account and let us know what happens.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Optionally, a bank password can be stored in the Password Vault. I can only guess, but it's possible that, the last time you entered the bank password the option to store the password in the vault was checked. So, now the password is saved and you won't have to reenter it every time you download new transactions.
    Take a look in Tools / Password Vault and see if it's in there.
    I've been using the Password Vault for all my bank passwords for many years and have not had any issues with it (except for once forgetting to update the vault after changing the bank's password at their website)
  • bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Allow me to show you the dialog box I am referring to. (see below) Pls see the attached. What I meant by freely able to access .....is that fact that there is no entry box shown where I would be able to enter my password. There is only a button labeled Update now and a button labeled Cancel. There USED to be a box labeled Enter Password in the last build version. See the below jpg I have inserted. When I select the Update now button, I would be shown that my credit union is processing the request to update my checking acct register. All done without any need to enter my password as was required by previous QKN version.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently you haven't been using the password vault in the past.

What happens when you press the "Update now" button from that screen?

Frankx

• bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    You are correct. I do not use the password vault. Never have been. I have reasons for not wanting to save passwords on Quicken or other apps. Anyway, since 1984, when using QKN, I have had the One Step Update dialog pop up and ask me to enter my credit union/bank password. Since QKN build 27.1.27.28, the Enter Password box is no longer shown. Again, the only boxes shown are Update now and Cancel. When I select Update Now, like magic, my credit union starts processing the balance information automatically without my need to enter a password.
    From the few helpful comments I have been receiving, this now seems to be a matter of my being "out of the loop" on new procedures to update ones' checking register. I always read the information on what all QKN update consist. I never seen any information on this latest build that QKN would eliminate need to enter password to update register. I had thought I had a bug.
  • bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    To UKR superuser.
    I have reread your response; re: Password Vault. I did what you suggested, and opened Password vault. Indeed my credit union check account is listed. I have NO freaking idea how that happened since I am not trusting any apps to remember my passwords. I am going to try to find way to remove that account/password from Password Vault. That Password Vault is reason why I now know no longer have to enter my password manually into the Update Now dialog box. Thanks so much for your response. And thank you Frankx superuser.
    Kind Regards, bluzchaser
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @bluzchaser,

Just an FYI - I, similar to you had avoided using the password vault for many years, and also had a similar experience as you just had, with not needing to enter a password for one account.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.

Anyway I am glad you have your answer, and happy to help!

Frankx

• bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    Final Ending note. Although I mentioned that my credit union was indeed listed in the Password vault, I also noted that the vault does not include ANY passwords for that credit union. That is because I NEVER set up a password SPECIFICALLY for the Password Vault. When I dbl click the credit union acct in the Password Vault, I get a msg In the Password Stored column, it says ("Not Required". Clicking on the ? says: <Bank> is a EWC activated account for which the credentials are encrypted and stored in Quicken at the time of the account addition. This reduces aggregation issue s and simplified sync across sources."" )

So since I did NOT set up a Password Vault and Vault pwd, I am unable to delete that credit union listed in the vault, I need to contact Quicken directly and find out how I can delete those financial accounts in the vault without having a password to do so. Somehow Quicken seems to me to have on purpose, or mistakenly made my Quicken checking account easier to update by not having me to manually enter a password for my financial institution. On one hand it does seem to make it more convenient to update without having to enter a password, on the other hand I don't like to have my financial institution being able to being accessed automatically by just pressing an "Update" button.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Go to the Help menu in Quicken, hold down the F4 key when you click on About Quicken.
    What is shown?  This might be due to this recent change: EWC->QCS

• bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    Hi splasher. I believe I have read a few of your helpful responses you offered to many other QKN users. But in any case, after following your response, I did do the F4 key with About Quicken, and received mysterious response. See attached. Can you offer explanation of meaning? I welcome any and all responses to my quirky problem.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Quicken Inc. is undergoing a back-end change to their connection methods. This is being rolled out to random users until fully tested. This is what you are seeing in your screen shot.
    I too noticed an Update Now for an EWC account does not require entering the password first. Not sure if this is as intended or an oversight.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Quicken Inc. is undergoing a back-end change to their connection methods. This is being rolled out to random users until fully tested. This is what you are seeing in your screen shot.
    I too noticed an Update Now for an EWC account does not require entering the password first. Not sure if this is as intended or an oversight.
    Well there is this new help message:

BTW I always wondered why the password is needed for Express Web Connect given they always said that it is cached on the server so that the server can log in daily.
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Hi splasher. I believe I have read a few of your helpful responses you offered to many other QKN users. But in any case, after following your response, I did do the F4 key with About Quicken, and received mysterious response. See attached. Can you offer explanation of meaning? I welcome any and all responses to my quirky problem.
    The transition of EWC from FDS to QCS is causing all sorts of new "quirky" issues that users have not seen in the past and I was just trying to figure out if your issue was related to it and it seems like it is as documented in your screenshot and by @GeoffG 's and Chris_QPW 's responses.

• Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭
    Thank you folks for bringing this up. I just had the same problem on one of my accounts. And read the same message when I clicked on the ? How do I get into the pwd vault to check. Is it the same as my Quicken online pwd. I have never used the vault or put anything in it, so how do I get in to remove the acct pwd and get back to inputting the pwd manually when I update using one step. Note this only happened for one of my accts, the others I still type in the pwd. Hopefully they remain that way and I can fix the acct that someone other than me decided to put the pwd in a vault!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Trini said:
    The EWC (under QCS) account's password is NOT stored in the Password Vault in your Quicken data file, it is stored on the Quicken aggregation server that logs into the financial institutions overnight to collect and aggregate the transactions for later download by the Quicken program on your computer from the aggregation server.
    See this article for how the EWC process works: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭
    Ok. So this is not the password vault that comes up when you click on manage password in one step update settings? When I click on manage passwords in one step it asks me to enter a vault pwd. So if not there, how do I get back to typing in my password as opposed to having it stored somewhere by Quicken?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Trini said:
    You don't. This is the new process for Quicken EWC downloads.  Would you prefer that Quicken continue to ask you for a password that they have already stored on the aggregation server to do the nightly data collection? (see the link in previous post) 
    If you are not happy with their change, I suggest you contact Quicken Support and complain to them, in general except for the moderators, we are all just Quicken users trying to help others.
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    No.  The FDS to QCS conversion is still in rollout, so there is not a lot known about all of the details yet.
    Quicken Support  should be able to answer that question.  If you get an answer, please respond back here with it for others to know.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trini said:
    I don't think there is a password any more, which is great news!
    Note this message at in the Edit Password Vault:

The "Not required" is "telling" for me and I just did a test where I changed my Macy's credit card password and the update worked fine.

I believe they have gone to OAUTH or something like it.
    This is an encryption system that exchanges "tokens" instead:
    https://oauth.net/2/

As when first setup there is an exchange of "signed" information so that Quicken can send information that has been encrypted based on that token that only it and the service that it has exchanged this information with know about.

Edit:

I'm going to add some of the benefits of a system like OAUTH.

It is more secure.  In this system the "tokens" are regularly update, and there isn't any way to "guess your password".

One of the major problems with Express Web Connect has always been that the server is "logging in as you".  And as such the financial institution's log in procedures apply.  So when the financial institution changes anything like that the updates fail.  Just for fact that they will now be using a set protocol should help emensly.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    P.S.  Your password would be used the very first time the account is setup for this system just so that it knows you a the person authorized to access the account.

And actually whereas I believe that not using passwords any more is a "good thing", people that have been relying on not putting in their password in Quicken to block anyone from updating are not going to be happy with this change.
    Signature:
  • Trini
    Trini Member ✭✭
    Thanks all!
  • bluzchaser
    bluzchaser Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    To Frankx, splasher, Chris_QPW and GeoffG and other users joining in my query regarding the "No password needed for update account" question.
    I had indicated earlier I would contact Quicken for resolution. I see now there is no need to do that after all the super responses.
  • arbor57
    arbor57 Member
    I'm been entering the account passwords for years. Now it only prompts for the first account. I do not use the password vault or the one step update.
    Other account downloads in the same session the password prompt does not come up and it says the account has been updated when I know it has not. Why do people say the account is being updated without the password when it is not?
    If I close and re-open the program and try on the same account then i get the password prompt.
    Can someone explain what's going on? Will Quicken fix be corrected eventually?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @arbor57 What is happening is that Quicken Inc is switching Express Web Connect accounts from using an "old connection method" called FDS to a new one called QCS.  The QCS connection method has been used by Quicken Mac for years now.

And yes the "behavior" in the status messages and not prompting for a password has changed.  At this point though we are still waiting on a FAQ they said they are making up to get the details of exactly how this should all work.

But in this thread even though the people are reporting the change in status messages and the lack of prompting for a password, the updates are in fact working.

For anyone where the updates aren't working especially missing transactions I suggest that you read and post on this thread instead.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878568/what-has-changed-with-express-web-connect-i-cant-download-update-transactions
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Well folks, sorry but because of the "quirky" system they are using and my optimist wishing I have lead you astray.

Today when I went to update my Macy's credit card update failed for the wrong password.  And I had to go through the troubleshooting step to get it updated.

So clearly they aren't using something like OAUTH.  Why will updating for a while with the wrong password works, I don't really know, that is what threw me off.

My guess would be that in fact they don't go out to the financial institution on every request from Quicken and instead sometimes you get data from their cached data on the server.
    Signature:
  • Daddio25
    Daddio25 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    This thread has been very helpful. I first noticed the no password needed "problem" on the second One Step Update (OSU) after the R27.28 update. I have never used the password vault. And I was surprised to say the least.

Here is a sequence of events that had me puzzled:
    1. OSU worked "normally" - passwords required.
    2. Update to R27.28.
    3. First OSU, passwords required.
    4. Second OSU, no passwords for EWC accounts!??
    5. Go to back up file.
    6. First OSU, passwords required.
    7. Second OSU, no passwords for EWC accounts!?? What is going on??

I think it all makes sense now given that the process Quicken uses for authentication has changed.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread, especially @Chris_QPW for pointing me to it. I think I can move on now. :)

P.S. It would have been very helpful if Quicken had informed us that this change was taking place and the impact it would have. I would have saved me several hours of debugging and research.
This discussion has been closed.