High latency when doing anything in Quicken - transaction register, reports etc. HELP!

:/ My account dates back to 1989 and has 37,000 transactions. Is this the problem? If so, how can I solve? If not, what do you suggest. Latency is very bad on every keystroke in Quicken. It's the only program on my PC suffering from this issue. I'm using Windows 10, latest version. This has been an issue for about 3 years. It's gotten so bad now that it is difficult work with.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Please do HELP, and hold down the CTRL key while you click "About Quicken".
    Take a snapshot of the resulting dialog (JPG format preferred) and post it here.
    It has info that will assist us in diagnosing your issue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • frankhdil
    frankhdil Member ✭✭
    Here is a jpeg of the info you asked for. Thank you for you help!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    OK, a couple of things to try ... but FIRST, take a backup so that you can return to this point in time if necessary.
    You number of Memorized transactions is quite high, and since Q holds those in memory, that could be an issue. SO, try doing EDIT, Preferences, Data entry and Quickfill ... and set the "Removed Memorized Payees not used in __ Months" to some value.  Opinions here vary widely as the the appropriate length, but 4 months (which I use) to 12 months seems to be the customary range.
    Also, on that same dialog, IF it's checked, UNcheck "Automatically memorize new payees".  It's unlikely that you need a separate payee for every gas station that you use.
    You might also look at Renaming Rules so that "Kroger #875" and "Kroger # 372" (just my examples) just become "Kroger".
    Next, our number of "Accounts" are similar, but your number of Categories is 50% than mine.  Are you currently using all of those Categories?  Can you consolidate some?
    Can you Archive any old Investment Transactions?  See Q Help for this function.
    Can you "Copy" your Q data file to a new name, and truncate off some very old years in the process.
    Hope that I've given you something to consider.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    37,000 transactions in one account.  What type of account?  For an investment account, 37K could well be an issue.  For other accounts, not likely, IMO.  
  • frankhdil
    frankhdil Member ✭✭
    It's a checking account, since 1989. After I create another back up, is there a way to create a new file with say the last 5 years of history and use that as my current file?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other available tool is file validation. Conventional wisdom says to have Quicken copy the file first (fully eliminating deleted information) then do the validation on the copy. 
    Might help. No promises. 
This discussion has been closed.