Home Welcome to the Community! The Water Cooler

Quicken Medical Expense Manager (QMEM)

I would like to encourage Quicken to update and release a new version of QMEM. Starting with Windows 8 there have been problems installing it as it requires Net Framework 1.1 which is no longer supported by Windows. I know that the code runs on Windows 10 as I have a desktop that was upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 to 10 such that the QMEM install thinks that Net Framework 1.1. is installed and completes the installation and then runs fine. On a laptop that came with Win 10 installed, it will not install as wants Net Framework 1.1 which cannot be installed.

There is no software out there that is as good as QMEM. I, and I believe, many others would happily pay for a new version.

Best Answers

Answers

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: I now see that the two missing items I mentioned above are covered if you click on Enter Expense and provide the details. Nice!
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Rollin HillRollin Hill Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @Rollin Hill - QMEM is an Intuit program that was discontinued several years ago.  I'm not even sure it was included in the Quicken platform package spinoff from Intuit back in 2016.  (If it wasn't, then this request should be made to Intuit instead of Quicken.)  Regardless, I don't think I've ever seen a discontinued program be resurrected so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this request to be fulfilled.
    > Did you try installing QMEM in Compatibility Mode?  It works for many older program installations but not for all.Also, you didn't say which version of QMEM you have.  If your version is older than the following, you can download an updated version of it for free at http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-med-expenses.html and maybe that will install better for you.:(Image)

Boatnmaniac, compatibility mode does not work as the install is checking for an indicator that Net Framework 1.1 is installed on the system so the install fails. I tried moving the installed version on my desktop to my laptop but, when started, the exec checks for NF 1.1 and will not start.

I have the latest version of QMEM. I will, as suggested, try my request at Intuit. I have found no other medical expense manager that is as good as it was. My searches on the web have shown several people are like me and would pay for an upgraded version.

Thanks for you response.
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > I agree, I found a copy on the web that will install on a Win 10 system - it installs .Net 1.1 as part of the process.

Jim, where did you find a copy on the web that installs on Win 10?
    Thanks.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was at the location referenced by @Boatnmaniac above. I believe you need admin privileges to install .Net. Part way through the installation it asked if I wanted to install .Net and I said Yes. Note that some of the install dialogs appear behind ones that are already open so if things seem to be stalled, try moving dialogs out of the way.

After installing, it said something about updating to get the latest version of .Net. I assume that will happen the next time I run Windows Update.

-- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > It was at the location referenced by @Boatnmaniac above. I believe you need admin privileges to install .Net. Part way through the installation it asked if I wanted to install .Net and I said Yes. Note that some of the install dialogs appear behind ones that are already open so if things seem to be stalled, try moving dialogs out of the way.
    >
    > After installing, it said something about updating to get the latest version of .Net. I assume that will happen the next time I run Windows Update.

Jim, I tried using the file from the location referenced by Boatnmaniac. Unfortunately this is the same as what I have experienced previously. When it attempts to install .Net Framework 1.1, it gets an error and quits. It then rolls back what changes it had made.

FYI, I went to Intuit to ask about getting them to release a new version. The answer is no and to ask the Quicken spin off. (Circular "not me" logic - Grin)

Oh well, when I have to replace the desktop system I can hope that I can migrate the existing configuration or else I will have to develop an Excel app.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please review the parts of this discussion talking about Windows 10 and enabling older versions of .Net Framework.
    This might help solve your problem.

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Rollin Hill - I dug up this MS article about installing Net 1.1 on Windows 10.  Not good news...MS says it is not possible to do that.:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/run-net-framework-1-1-apps
    However I did a search for how to install Net 1.1 on Windows 10 and there were a number of articles and videos saying how to do it. Reviews of the methods I'd looked at were mixed with some saying it worked, some saying it didn't and some saying it worked but the apps that needed it to run didn't work.  If you are feeling adventurous maybe that's something you want to explore.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R30.10 on Windows 10)
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. At this point I cannot get around the installation checking for .Net Framework 1.1. It runs, for now, on the one system so that will have to do for the moment. When that system gets replaced, it's time for me to develop my on Excel or Access app to do the tracking if I need to keep tracking the data. Again thanks to all who replied.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I found it somewhat odd that some people said they could run 1.1 on their Win 10 but others said they could not.  Then I came across an article that said earlier versions of Win 10 could install and run it but later versions could not.  That would explain a lot.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R30.10 on Windows 10)
This discussion has been closed.