Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Apple Card - still can't upload

Answers

• I've been importing the QFX files each month since the feature became available and it has been working great, until today. I had previously imported 18 months of data with no issues. Today I am receiving the same OL-220-B error as everyone else. There was a new drop of Quicken last week so it may be related to that.
  • MeanRX8MeanRX8 Member
    I just opened my Apple Card in July so this was my first statement on Aug 1. Getting the same OL-220-B as others.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2
    > @splasher said:
    > (Quote)
    > Did you re-download the June transactions or use the same downloaded file that you used originally?

I used the original one from July 1st. Interestingly enough, I redownloaded the June statement and it had a different checksum indicating it wasn't exactly the same file (possible download date changed). Both failed the same way.
  • udechwordiErudechwordiEr Member ✭✭
    I just had a chat with Quicken support... they are saying for QFX files, there is a "security handshake" that occurs between Quicken and the financial institution. If that handshake fails, then that may cause the OL-220-B. So, I asked whether it was possible to import a QFX file without an internet connection, the answer was no... its considered a connected service. If Apple Card had provided a QIF file, then no internet connection, and no security handshake would be required. Basically, Quicken is adamant the problem is on Apple Cards' end and will not do anything to resolve the problem. I've contacted Goldman Sachs and I'm awaiting their response.
  • ozzyauozzyau Member ✭✭
    > @udechwordiEr said:
    > I've contacted Goldman Sachs and I'm awaiting their response.

Thank you! I can do my share of calling when I get back home on Wednesday. At least we are getting to understand what the problem is.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    A security handshake makes sense but why did it work previously? One explanation is that the first time the qfx file is imported, the account is not online enabled. After the first import, it is marked online with a acct number which it could use to subsequently verify. But this is all guesswork. Has anyone tried this for the first time and have it fail?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "security handshake" is NOT for security.  It is to confirm that the financial institution associated with that account is a participating Quicken partner (paid the licensing fees to Quicken and/or Intuit, the group that actually sets up the agreements). 
    If they did not do that confirmation, anybody could create .QFX files and import them into Quicken. 
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    You’re claiming it’s a licensing issue - in a sense, any form of identification - even user login/password gives authorized credentials for identification with possible prerequisites - for example, I have to take online courses at a college before I obtain login credentials - same here for qfx - I have to purchase a license. The assumption is that Golman Sachs is a valid qfx user. It would be unusual if they weren’t.
    JohnA said:
    You’re claiming it’s a licensing issue - in a sense, any form of identification - even user login/password gives authorized credentials for identification with possible prerequisites - for example, I have to take online courses at a college before I obtain login credentials - same here for qfx - I have to purchase a license. The assumption is that Golman Sachs is a valid qfx user. It would be unusual if they weren’t.
    Believe what you want, but Quicken checking to see if the financial institution is a participating partner is the only reason for the check and something is broken in the process for Quicken for Windows for the Apple Credit Card.  The fact that a .QFX file downloaded and successfully used last month does not work this month points to Quicken as the source of the problem.
    As pointed out by @udechwordiEr, .QIF files can be imported without an internet connection because anybody can create a .QIF file because that import is not a licensed process.
    There are products on the market that will create a .QFX file for you and fake the financial institution so that Quicken thinks it is valid, but in reality, the financial institution in the .QFX file has nothing to do with the real financial institution.

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 3
    Not sure what any of this means to a working export/import solution. The solution is to figure out what the problem is and fix it. The solution has to be in a coordination between the FI and Quicken. CSV files can be used with third party converters for those without an Internet connection.
  • ttrinchittrinchi Member ✭✭
    When Apple Card first came out, they only offered OFX files (and no QFX). I ended up purchasing OFX2QFX converter and had no issues uploading to Quicken. I too am getting the OL-220-B error so tried to download the OFX file and converting to QFX to see if it makes a difference and getting the same error message. For how much Quicken charges for their "subscription", this is ridiculous.
  • Dennis@1[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    Goldman Sachs is aware of the problem. (I Think) After holding for an hour I spoke with someone and laid out the problem, bad file format, etc. I said that I hoped they were already aware of the problem as it was being widely discussed in online forums. She said ok let me put you on hold and look into this. (this never goes well) 10 minutes later the call dropped.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    >> tried to download the OFX file and converting to QFX

Did you try converting to QIF?
    > @JohnA said:
    > >> tried to download the OFX file and converting to QFX
    >
    > Did you try converting to QIF?

I only have convert to QFX software, don't have the option to convert to QIF.
  • dklimekdklimek Member
    Hmmm. I wonder if Apple would be better off if the supported Quicken, or if Quicken would be better off supporting Apple.
  • shale99shale99 Member ✭✭
    since no fix coming anytime soon I broke down and just entered the trans manually like I did when the card first was available. :(
    edited August 3
    > @dklimek said:
    > Hmmm. I wonder if Apple would be better off if the supported Quicken, or if Quicken would be better off supporting Apple.

It depends on the individual. In my case, until Apple will have one-step update, I am only using the Apple card for Apple purchases & Uber. Once a month upload is already a PITA (especially involving multiple steps from my phone to my desktop to upload); manually inputting is absurd when all my other cards download automatically.
  • udechwordiErudechwordiEr Member ✭✭
    ok, I got back to Goldman Sachs on the issue, after being on hold for an hour, the support person said there is an open ticket, I asked for an ETA, the response was "the problem is being worked".. I have a feeling the more calls they get on this issue, the more emphasis and urgency will be put on resolution.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    I have reported it to GS as well with similar results.
  • sslliissllii Member ✭✭
    Last month, I was able to import my June transactions just fine. Today it failed, both my old June file and the latest July file. There was a Quicken app update, I am now running R27.42. Either Quicken deliberately broke it because GS/Apple Card tried to get around their licensing or GS broke something on their side. So frustrating!
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    >> Either Quicken deliberately broke it because GS/Apple Card tried to get around their licensing or GS broke something on their side.

I'm not sure these are the only options. Do we know manual QFX import works for other accounts? I don't. When I googled "importing qfx files into Quicken 2020, on page said to make sure that the account was not Internet enabled. However, the Apple Card account is internet enabled (web connect) after the first qfx import. If I try and deactivate downloads, not only does it still not work but I'm unable to reactivate it - rather than linking to the account, it tries to create a new account with a name collision problem. So there could be something broken with qfx import/account identification in the latest version. Bottom line is we don't know why it's not working.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Ok, Quicken support provided me with the following information. Quicken changed the way that QFX imports are done slightly and all FIs need to update their QFX files taking into account the change. Apparently, GS hasn't done so yet so that's why old and current files don't work. Once GS updates the format, it should work properly.
  • bdahl305bdahl305 Member ✭✭
    Thanks JohnA for your work on this
    I called Apple support just to log in one more call. After spending 34 minutes on the phone, their suggestion was that I download the PDF of the statement. They were unclear on how I can upload the PDF to Quicken but at that point I just wanted to be difficult.

I did try a CSV to QIF converter and I could upload the transactions to Quicken - it is not as clean as the QFX process but better than manually inputting. Apple /GS really need to get Direct Connect.
    @ttrinchi
    Be careful with .QIF files.  Quicken does not do any duplicate transaction filtering, renaming rules are not applied and they are automatically entered into the register without user review.

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    So I did some more digging that may muddy the water - please disregard if it is confusing. But I have come to the conclusion that there may be a problem in the TLS security certificate exchange that Quicken sets up with its server. Looking at a data capture utility, I Identified the site that Quicken is using to connect as well as the IP address. I then attempted to open a secure connection to that website. Apparently, the server presents a certificate with the name of *.intuit.com. However, the URL that is being used is api.intuit.ca. Thus, the certificate is invalid and I actually get this message:

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from <IP Address> (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

My antivirus returns this message

Connection not protected
    The security of your connection is reduced. Criminals can attempt to steal your data from the website. You are advised to leave this website.

URL:

api.intuit.ca

Reason:

Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list, or was explicitly excluded. View certificate

If the certificate exchange is invalid, no wonder it cannot validate the financial institution. I saw nothing in the QFX file that specified the server to contact.

Hopefully, Quicken knows about this - I doubt support is equipped to handle this type of analysis from a Quicken User.
  • Paul SheehanPaul Sheehan Member ✭✭
    Add me to the list of folks calling in to Apple Card support and complaining.
    Someday...
  • MrBill12MrBill12 Member ✭✭
    Add me to the list of people with the same problem!

I started with a call to Goldman Sachs support, who told me it wasn't possible to download a QFX file, Only PDF files! LOL.... so I asked her if she had a phone handy to follow my steps, so I taught the rep how to download a QFX file from the Apple wallet. She then put me on hold for awhile and eventually came back on the line and told me she would transfer me to Apple Support. Apple Support informed me it was an "Intuit" issue and that I needed to contact them. I laughed and said "What does Intuit have to do with this?' Anyway she ended up telling me it was a Quicken problem not an Apple problem. I asked her to repeat the problem back to me. She told me to hold, but then the line dropped before she came back.

So I jumped on Chat with Quicken, and a rep (I really should type his name, but I'll hold back) pointed me back to Goldman Sachs and said it's their problem. I said "Hey now I'm just the consumer caught in the middle" and gave him the link to this thread and another on an Apple Community. I then proceed to preach "Your people need to call their people and explain the problem" He then suggested that I get a ticket number from him, then call Goldman Sachs and have a conference call. I agreed (because I thought 'well this will be an interesting call'). So i took the ticket number and got back in queue with Goldman Sachs.

The new Goldman Sachs rep was more intelligent than the first one, and she agreed to play along, so I dialed back Quicken and explained that I had a ticket number and had Goldman Sachs on the line with us so that we could all work together to solve the problem.

The new Quicken rep was like "Holly H*ll" this isn't how this I supposed to work. He then explained to both of us that he didn't know if it was an Apple problem, a Goldman Sachs problem, or Quicken problem but he was quick to admit this phone call is going to get us nowhere.

He then said there are multiple tickets open, he created another for me. He said he would escalate the issue. He said "I'll be honest with you I don't know how this will be resolved or by who, but this is the path to take, there needs to be someone with our company contacting the others at a programmers level, not at the customer support level. I had the call on speaker and literally started clapping! I said "Sir, you are the first person that has made sense". At that point Goldman Sachs dropped off the line. The quicken guy opened a new ticket and said it would be escalated.

He encouraged posting back to this thread and suggesting everyone here should open a ticket with Quicken Support. So please go open a ticket with quicken support.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 6
    Thanks for doing this and posting. It’s not rocket science for Quicken/GS, just takes coordination. I’m curious if QFX import works with other FIs - anyone try it? If the initial TLS certificate handshake is the problem as my analysis indicated, my guess is that no manual QFX import currently works.
  • MrBill12MrBill12 Member ✭✭
    @JohnA What other FI still uses that method? As far as I know for about the past 15 years or so all we have to do is download transactions directly into quicken.

FWIW, I also type a snarky feedback to Apple.com/feedback every month about how stupid it is that that have turned time back 15 or 20 years. I literally download the file on my phone, email it to myself, save it to my windows laptop and then import it to quicken. Apple talks about how "ground breaking" the apple card is but to me this procedure turns back time about 15 or 20 years.