Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Apple Card - still can't upload

Answers

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    @MrBill2 - not sure who allows you to download QFX as a file directly but someone mentioned using converter software to QFX, maybe they can try it with another FI?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    JohnA said:
    Thanks for doing this and posting. It’s not rocket science for Quicken/GS, just takes coordination. I’m curious if QFX import works with other FIs - anyone try it? If the initial TLS certificate handshake is the problem as my analysis indicated, my guess is that no manual QFX import currently works.
    I do QFX downloads for two CapOne accounts and my CU accounts (savings & checking), they all work just fine.
    The TLS certificate is a red herring since Quicken desktop is communicating with a Quicken server (or their aggregator's server) for this authentication, not the Apple's server.
    As far as which FIs support Direct Connect, Express Web Connect and/or Web Connect, check out the FIDIR.TXT file at: 
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019\fidir.txt
    It is a hidden file, so you have to turn on seeing that in Windows settings.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• udechwordiErudechwordiEr Member ✭✭
    >> FWIW, I also type a snarky feedback to Apple.com/feedback every month about how stupid it is that that have turned time back 15 or 20 years. I literally download the file on my phone, email it to myself, save it to my windows laptop and then import it to quicken. Apple talks about how "ground breaking" the apple card is but to me this procedure turns back time about 15 or 20 years. <<

With this kludge of an update process, the inability to get new download information other than monthly, lack of timely customer support and feedback, I'm beginning to question the value add of this card
  • MrBill12MrBill12 Member ✭✭
    > @udechwordiEr said:
    > With this kludge of an update process, the inability to get new download information other than monthly, lack of timely customer support and feedback, I'm beginning to question the value add of this card

We don't use AppleCard alot, we use Chase Freedom Unlimited for 1.5% cashback mostly, however if NFC payment is an option we put it on Apple Card since that's 2% cash back.

It's rather annoying that the transactions don't update until after the end of the month, and that the process to retrieve is manual. Quicken should allow me to check any transaction anytime....

More people should write apple.com/feedback
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    @splasher - you write:

>> I do QFX downloads for two CapOne accounts and my CU accounts (savings & checking), they all work just fine.

Yes, I was able to download a QFX from American Express with no problem. I looked at the QFX syntax on the Amex statement and incorporated the minor variances in the Apple Card statement. No cigar.

>> The TLS certificate is a red herring since Quicken desktop is communicating with a Quicken server (or their aggregator's server) for this authentication, not the Apple's server.

It could be - I was just going by the network capturing tool that showed it opening a TLS connection to an IP address on port 443, perform the TLS handshake and then close. I thought it odd that my web browser couldn't at least open the TLS connection without giving the antivirus a heart attack.

I guess all we can do is wait...
  • Don AwaltDon Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say thanks guys for pursuing this, I have an Apple Card too so I have been lurking to watch how this transpires - I don't have anything meaningful to add but keep up the good work, the silent majority is behind you on this one!
  • Katie KenKatie Ken Member
    I am having trouble adding our Apple CC to Quicken so I called Apple customer service and they said Goldman Sachs/Apple does not download to quicken. Is that true? I find it hard to believe that this is the case. Thank you!
    Currently the ONLY way you can download your Apple Card into Quicken is by downloading the .QFX file using the Apple Card app on your phone, transfer the .QFX file to your computer and then import the .QFX using the import on the File menu.
    NOTE:  At the moment, the import fails due to issues between the file's format and Quicken for Windows.  It works fine if you are using Quicken for Mac.

• reigninslayerreigninslayer Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The upload to Quicken feature is also now advertised on the Apple Card main screen when you open the app. 🤦‍♂️
  • MrBill12MrBill12 Member ✭✭
    > @reigninslayer said:
    > The upload to Quicken feature is also now advertised on the Apple Card main screen when you open the app. 🤦‍♂️
    >
    >

LOL... I see that too. I just retested by downloading again... it's definitely still broken.
  • LocoMoco10LocoMoco10 Member
    Any update on the import to Windows Quicken from Apple or anyone? Mine also fails. What is the work around?
  • dkarltondkarlton Member
    I contacted Apple Card support and they claim that it's a problem on Quicken's side. Can we get some updates from a Quicken rep? Thanks.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    >> I contacted Apple Card support and they claim that it's a problem on Quicken's side.

Unlikely - other banks are not having issues, only Apple Card.
  • FatSlowOldFatSlowOld Member
    There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.

Export the transactions to QFX on your phone

Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer

Save it somewhere simple on your local drive ( I used downloads folder )

Open the QFX file with notepad.

You will see a section in the QFX that looks like this:
    <FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940

The 18940 is the financial institution. Change it to 03000 (Wells Fargo-LOL!)

Save the QFX.

Open Quicken.

Right click your Apple Card account. Select edit.

Click Online Services tab. Deactivate electronic updates.

Click OK to close edit account

File/File Import/Webconnect(QFX) file

Select the QFX that you edited above.

Tell quicken to import to your existing Apple Card account. If you haven't already been using Quicken w/ the Apple Card, then create a new account.

Quicken will think that it's a Wells Fargo account instead of GS, but who cares?
    After you have deactivated the electronic updates the first time, you won't have to do it for future downloads. Quicken will just automatically associate the QFX with the AppleCard. However, you will always have to edit the QFX until GS and Quicken get their acts together.

Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.
    >>There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.<<
    I've tried the above and it does work with some minor differences. Prior to doing anything, I would recommend that you do backups of all of your data (I back up every time I exit Quicken). I did not want to deactivate electronic updates to my existing "Apple Credit Card" account because I have done that before, and I was not able to reactivate them. So... I created a new "Apple2 Credit Card" account and imported the altered (with WF as the FI) QFX file into Quicken. It asked me did I want to create a new account or link it to an existing account. I told it to link to the newly created "Apple2 Credit Card" account and lo and behold, the transactions were downloaded, however they were downloaded to my existing "Apple Credit Card" account!!! I restored my Quicken file, and this time, when I did the import, I asked Quicken to create a new account called "Apple2 Credit Card", and again, the files downloaded to my existing "Apple Credit Card" account. So I don't understand why Quicken puts the data in the existing account versus where it was told to put the data. With that caveat, I think this is a work around I could live with if there is no fix prior to our new statements on 9/1/20. In the meantime, I've restored my Quicken file back to where it was.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Depending on the number of transactions, it may be easier to enter them manually. It is for me although it is nice to know about this workaround.
  • Dennis@1[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    JohnA said:
    >> I contacted Apple Card support and they claim that it's a problem on Quicken's side.

Unlikely - other banks are not having issues, only Apple Card.
    On the other hand, it does seem like a Quicken problem to me. I'm running both Qwin and Qmac latest updates to both. Qmac imported the transactions, Qwin did not.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    I’m not denying that Quicken shares responsibility, just that it’s exclusively Quicken... whatever the problem is, it is unique to QFX import for Apple Card on Qwin which means the two have to come together somehow.
  • sslliissllii Member ✭✭
    > @FatSlowOld said:
    > There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.
    >
    > Export the transactions to QFX on your phone
    >
    > Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer
    >
    > Save it somewhere simple on your local drive ( I used downloads folder )
    >
    > Open the QFX file with notepad.
    >
    > You will see a section in the QFX that looks like this:
    > <FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940
    >
    > The 18940 is the financial institution. Change it to 03000 (Wells Fargo-LOL!)
    >
    > Save the QFX.
    >
    > Open Quicken.
    >
    > Right click your Apple Card account. Select edit.
    >
    > Click Online Services tab. Deactivate electronic updates.
    >
    > Click OK to close edit account
    >
    > File/File Import/Webconnect(QFX) file
    >
    > Select the QFX that you edited above.
    >
    > Tell quicken to import to your existing Apple Card account. If you haven't already been using Quicken w/ the Apple Card, then create a new account.
    >
    > Quicken will think that it's a Wells Fargo account instead of GS, but who cares?
    > After you have deactivated the electronic updates the first time, you won't have to do it for future downloads. Quicken will just automatically associate the QFX with the AppleCard. However, you will always have to edit the QFX until GS and Quicken get their acts together.
    >
    > Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.

I really believe Quicken is trying to squeeze some licensing fees from GS and turned off the verification to the GS servers.

btw, where is our trusted "Quicken Sarah"? She is always on the ball on this type of nasty issues.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Except it works on the Mac, right? It’s got to be something else otherwise it just wouldn’t work in all cases?
    JohnA said:
    Except it works on the Mac, right? It’s got to be something else otherwise it just wouldn’t work in all cases?
    I don't know if things have changed under subscription, but it used to be that a FI could sign up for Windows or Mac or both.  
    I have used the sharpest stick I can use without getting sent to the timeout corner asking why Q has not responded officially to this issue.  The fact that changing the FID as described by @Samuel Li makes the file importable, blows Q_Julio's statement that it is a "invalid/malformed OFX/QFX file" out of the water.

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, in my testing there’s nothing wrong with the QFX file. Indeed the connection log suggests that a reply from the server was either malformed or unexpected. Since other FIs work fine, it’s probably some sort of administrative block. But bottom line is it still doesn’t work.
  • jsmithddsjsmithdds Member
    Thank you. This worked for me as well.

> @FatSlowOld said:
    > There's a hacky way of working around it.
  • ozzyauozzyau Member ✭✭
    > @FatSlowOld said:
    > There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.
    >
    > Export the transactions to QFX on your phone
    >
    > Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer
    >

It works! You are it! Thank you!

Now... I don't email the QFX file from the phone to myself. I got a free Dropbox account and I save it directly there from the Apple Wallet app. Minor stuff...

Thank you @FatSlowOld ! You are @SkinnyQuickYoung in my world! :-)
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, the Wells Fargo hack works. I looked in the connection log for the differences. It appears that the Inuit failure has to do with the preliminary handshake that is usally followed by contacting the FI for the marketing portion where it downloads the FI's logo and other data. When I look at FI #18940 (Apple Card), I see the following in the log:

QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll
    20200814 16:35:20: QFN: End send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll, netstatus 0
    20200814 16:35:20: Parse error. Current object: Null Object

When I look at FI #03000(Wells Fargo) I see:

20200814 16:39:19: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll
    20200814 16:39:20: QFN: End send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll, netstatus 0
    20200814 16:39:20: Marketing session sending to: https://wellsfargo.com/quicken/index09.ini
    20200814 16:39:20: QFN: Beginning get from https://wellsfargo.com/quicken/index09.ini
    20200814 16:39:21: QFN: End get from https://wellsfargo.com/quicken/index09.ini, netstatus 0
    20200814 16:39:21: QFN: Beginning get from http://www.wellsfargo.com/quicken/graphics/splashq09.bmp
    20200814 16:39:21: QFN: End get from http://www.wellsfargo.com/quicken/graphics/splashq09.bmp, netstatus 0

Both start out exactly the same, the query and response are both sucessful. The failure is in parsing the output of the response . So this definitely appears to be a Inutit server response problem where in the Apple Card case, it is unable to properly contact Apple to get the marketing information. This might be a licensing issue *but* it could also be the information is just plain wrong on Intuit's servers regarding Apple Card. It could be that Qmac has a more liberal parsing engine so it does not choke on Intuit's reply.
  • Scott ZuckerScott Zucker Member ✭✭
    I have been having the same exact issue as of August 1. The import worked fine before, but I now get the same error message that others are reporting. I created a new instance of the credit card and tried importing QFX files that I had previously imported successfully but they no longer work. It does seem that something has changed in Quicken and that this requires the involvement of Quicken support.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    In a previous transaction, I included information from the connection log showing that Quicken sent a message to Inuit and got a response but couldn't parse it properly. So I wondered what the messages were. It turns out that they are there in detail within the OFX log (Help/Log Files/OFX logs). I found the following interesting:

<!-- ***** RECV from https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll at 20:53:14 on 20200819 ***** -->

</INTU.BIDINFO>
    <INTU.BRANDDETAILS>
    <INTU.BRANDNAME>Apple Card
    <INTU.STATUS>ACTIVE
    <INTU.NPCFLAG>OFX
    <INTU.MKTTIERTYPE>BANKING
    <FI>
    <ORG>Apple Card
    <FID>18940
    </FI>

The status flag set to ACTIVE might suggest that this is not a licensing issue. But it appears that something in that reply was not parsed properly suggesting that this is indeed a Quicken problem.
    JohnA >>The status flag set to ACTIVE might suggest that this is not a licensing issue. But it appears that something in that reply was not parsed properly suggesting that this is indeed a Quicken problem.<<

Explain why changing the Financial Institution Number (FID) fixes the problem, if this is indeed a parsing issue??
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    The reason why it might be peculiar to Apple Card is because each reply from the Intuit server is unique for the FID that was used in the query (obtained from the QFX file). Apparently the server data for FID 18940 has a parsing incompatibility with Qwin.
  • sslliissllii Member ✭✭
    It was working beforehand, so normally there is no reason for Quicken to change it. Apple/GS would also have no incentive to change anything since it was working and they want to improve customer satisfaction. Since Quicken Sarah is completely silent on this matter, it is a good indication that Quicken knows what this is about!
    I would bet you a penny that Quicken may be trying to squeeze a penny from GS for every "connection" to import a local QFX file! It is a local QFX file, Quicken should be no right to block it as long as the format is correct.
    I am getting more and more unhappy with Quicken's business model ever since they became an independent company, time to look for a replacement app