Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Apple Card - still can't upload

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    ssllii said:
    …I am getting more and more unhappy with Quicken's business model ever since they became an independent company, time to look for a replacement app
    The only things they changed was 1) the length of online banking support from the 3 years after release of the new version to whatever length of subscription you purchase, 2) starter going read-only if it expires, 3) the nag panel if the other editions expire.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• udechwordiErudechwordiEr Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    ssliii wrote: >>I am getting more and more unhappy with Quicken's business model ever since they became an independent company, time to look for a replacement app<<

What have you found that would be a good replacement for Quicken and its features that you use???

Today, given a choice of losing Quicken's abilities for forward financial, tax, and budget planning with bill and income reminders, report generation, what if scenarios, or losing Apple Goldman Sachs card which does not download directly to financial programs or allow anything other than monthly statement updates for financial transactions... I'd have a tough time choosing the Apple Card.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    I agree - the advantages of Quicken are numerous. I never expected Apple Card to support anything but PDF and manual entry. Naturally my use of the card was restricted. It was a bonus that they started supporting QFX downloads so the fact it doesn’t work now is far from being a showstopper. Indeed, while I understand the frustration, I cannot understand this dump Quicken mentality unless Apple Card is your only account without using any of the other features.
  • udechwordiErudechwordiEr Member ✭✭
    I bit the bullet, and yesterday, converted my Windows (via Parallels VM on a Mac) qdata file to a Mac version. The conversion completed in 30 minutes, then it took me approximately 12 hours to clean things up and get the Mac version to match the Windows version exactly (including data, categories, and saved reports). The Mac version has its pros and cons, its much faster, but seems to be a little less capable and customizable (e.g. no elegant solution for Fidelity cash management brokerage accounts), but with work arounds, so far, it does the job. In regards to the OL-220-B, the Mac version imports the Apple Goldman Sachs QFX file with zero issues. I'll run in a parallel mode for a couple of weeks, and if all goes well, I'll contemplate switching over and making Mac my main platform for Quicken.
  • GranacheGranache Member ✭✭
    Quicken Support just told me that at this time they don’t know if they will be adding support for Apple Card QFX files to Quicken for Windows or not.
  • Scott ZuckerScott Zucker Member ✭✭
    It’s not a question of adding support. That makes it sound like a new feature. It’s restoring support since it worked prior to August. Quicken needs to address whatever changed or broke. They need to allow the import of a QFX from any financial institution that provides them. I’m not choosing my financial institutions based on what Quicken does or doesn’t support.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    @Scott I agree, if any FI (Apple Card or whoever) supports QFX import, then it should work. I think the support person was confused.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I had a long conversation with Quicken support. They claim that Goldman Sachs is not on their OFX FI supported list any longer (it used to be). The most recent published list ( https://www.quicken.com/support/fi-list-support-quicken-versions ) is outdated and has Goldman Sachs on it. So I guess that's what they mean when they say "adding support". And that just brings one more layer into the equation: Apple, Goldman Sachs and Quicken. I'm thinking this is not going to get resolved unfortunately.
    @JohnA
    Forget the webpage you cited, it has NEVER been up-to-date or correct.
    The place to find which FIs are supported and their level of support, at least for QW, search your local hard drive for the FIDIR.TXT file.
    It will be a hidden file at:
    C:/ProgramData/Quicken/Inet/Common/Localweb/Banklist/UNZIP
    It still shows that Apple Card Web Connect is still supported. 
    Could it be that Apple wants to stick their nose up at Windows users and only support Quicken for Mac?  That is PURE speculation and a silly suggestion, BUT, an FI can elect to only support one OS over the other.  It used to be very common for FIs to support Win and not Mac.
    It never made sense to me that FIs didn't get both of them automatically, but that was the Intuit/Quicken business model.

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    @splasher Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, it definitely is in that file. This suggests to me that the support person didn't know what they were talking about. I did notice the record for 18940 (Apple Card) is one of the most shortest records in the database even taking into account other credit cards with only Web-Connect. I wonder if that isn't an indication that something is missing in Intuit's database causing the parse error with null object. Ugh!
    I look at the file using a spreadsheet program, so everything falls neatly into columns.
    The contents are just shorter, but there is something in all the appropriate fields except the DIRECT and EXPRESS WEB columns.  There is one column that is blank for every line.

• VlaslowVlaslow Member
    Unfortunately, I have had to revert to my tactic when I first found out there would be no Quicken support; stop using the card.

When I discovered that I could begin to use Quicken and automatically import my data, I started using the card again.

No guess needed as to how much I charged on that card after I found out I again could no longer use it by simply importing data into Quicken.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > I look at the file using a spreadsheet program, so everything falls neatly into columns.

Yeah, for those who have time, there’s an xml file describing the fields. I’m just not sure what missing fields can cause problems such as no address or phone number. The OFX log shows them as missing or blank but will they parse correctly? And I don’t have time to verify whether any other FI has this problem.
  • sslliissllii Member ✭✭
    It seems like Quicken has shut down the workaround already. I am on R28.23 and I cannot the modified QFX for my August transactions.
  • ttrinchittrinchi Member ✭✭
    > @ssllii said:
    > It seems like Quicken has shut down the workaround already. I am on R28.23 and I cannot the modified QFX for my August transactions.

I was able to make the workaround work. On R28.24 (Build 27.1.28.24).

Before trying, did you deactivate the existing Apple Card connect? (Edit Account > Online Services > Deactivate)
  • shale99shale99 Member ✭✭
    No change for August import; same issue, same problem, same error message. A month and no fix from either party. Wtg, Quicken. really thot it would be fixed so I didn't need to add the trans manually. Oh well.

and 2 quicken updates since the problem. ooopsie.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    The problem is not in the qfx file, it’s in the reply from the Intuit server. Apparently both Qucken Support and Applecard are ok with this even though both look bad to customers.
  • Dennis@1[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    And yet it continues to work perfectly fine in Quicken for Mac.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, the query to the Intuit server enumerates the client: qwin or qmac. In addition, the code that parses the reply is different.
    > @[email protected] said:
    > And yet it continues to work perfectly fine in Quicken for Mac.

which confirms it was a quicken for windows update that blew up the ability. On quicken to fix even if that means they have to communicate with a 3rd party. Just DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I think Splasher may be on to something "Could it be that Apple wants to stick their nose up at Windows users and only support Quicken for Mac? That is PURE speculation and a silly suggestion, BUT, an FI can elect to only support one OS over the other. It used to be very common for FIs to support Win and not Mac.".... I switched a couple of weeks earlier from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac. I just downloaded the Apple Goldman Sachs August statement to Quicken for Mac, the download and import worked flawlessly.
  • sslliissllii Member ✭✭
    > @ssllii said:
    > > @FatSlowOld said:
    > > There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.
    > >
    > > Export the transactions to QFX on your phone
    > >
    > > Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer
    > >
    > > Save it somewhere simple on your local drive ( I used downloads folder )
    > >
    > > Open the QFX file with notepad.
    > >
    > > You will see a section in the QFX that looks like this:
    > > <FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940
    > >
    > > The 18940 is the financial institution. Change it to 03000 (Wells Fargo-LOL!)
    > >
    > > Save the QFX.
    > >
    > > Open Quicken.
    > >
    > > Right click your Apple Card account. Select edit.
    > >
    > > Click Online Services tab. Deactivate electronic updates.
    > >
    > > Click OK to close edit account
    > >
    > > File/File Import/Webconnect(QFX) file
    > >
    > > Select the QFX that you edited above.
    > >
    > > Tell quicken to import to your existing Apple Card account. If you haven't already been using Quicken w/ the Apple Card, then create a new account.
    > >
    > > Quicken will think that it's a Wells Fargo account instead of GS, but who cares?
    > > After you have deactivated the electronic updates the first time, you won't have to do it for future downloads. Quicken will just automatically associate the QFX with the AppleCard. However, you will always have to edit the QFX until GS and Quicken get their acts together.
    > >
    > > Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.
    >
    > I really believe Quicken is trying to squeeze some licensing fees from GS and turned off the verification to the GS servers.
    >
    > btw, where is our trusted "Quicken Sarah"? She is always on the ball on this type of nasty issues.

I updated to R28.24 but this workaround no longer works for me. I could import my July transaction about a month ago, but couldn't do that with my August transaction. I did the deactivate, even shutdown Quicken and restart, still no go. No errors but just nothing!
    I seems QUicken has done something again within these past 2 releases!
  • refikrefik Member ✭✭
    The fact that Apple (or GS) continues to upload the qfx with a straight face knowing that the file is of no good use, boggles the mind.
  • Dennis@1[email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    refik said:
    The fact that Apple (or GS) continues to upload the qfx with a straight face knowing that the file is of no good use, boggles the mind.
    It works perfectly fine in Quicken for Mac but not in Quicken for Windows. This one is on Quicken I'm afraid.
  • [email protected] said "It works perfectly fine in Quicken for Mac but not in Quicken for Windows. This ones on Quicken I'm afraid." .... I think both Quicken and Apple know exactly what the issue is, and both are fine with the current situation with the QFX file working for Mac and not Windows... the disappointing thing is that both are mum on the situation and not giving guidance one way or the other letting the customer waste time attempting debugging the issue or developing workarounds... I've put using my card on hold and will use it only if I decide to purchase a new Apple product where the card provides special financing...
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    > @refik said:
    > The fact that Apple (or GS) continues to upload the qfx with a straight face knowing that the file is of no good use, boggles the mind.

Yes, when I was talking with Apple Card Support, I pointed out that they are advertising a feature that doesn't work. He admitted that was true but said there was nothing he could do. Same with Quicken support who seems eager to help ((heck he was going to reproduce it on the fly!) until they go and talk with someone and then there's nothing they can do. So the crux is exactly what @udechwordiEr said: both Quicken and Apple know what they are doing and are not thinking about their customers in this case.
  • sdgravessdgraves Member ✭✭
    > @ssllii said:
    > > @FatSlowOld said:
    > > There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.
    > >
    > > Export the transactions to QFX on your phone
    > >
    > > Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer
    > >
    > > Save it somewhere simple on your local drive ( I used downloads folder )
    > >
    > > Open the QFX file with notepad.
    > >
    > > You will see a section in the QFX that looks like this:
    > > <FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940
    > >
    > > The 18940 is the financial institution. Change it to 03000 (Wells Fargo-LOL!)
    > >
    > > Save the QFX.
    > >
    > > Open Quicken.
    > >
    > > Right click your Apple Card account. Select edit.
    > >
    > > Click Online Services tab. Deactivate electronic updates.
    > >
    > > Click OK to close edit account
    > >
    > > File/File Import/Webconnect(QFX) file
    > >
    > > Select the QFX that you edited above.
    > >
    > > Tell quicken to import to your existing Apple Card account. If you haven't already been using Quicken w/ the Apple Card, then create a new account.
    > >
    > > Quicken will think that it's a Wells Fargo account instead of GS, but who cares?
    > > After you have deactivated the electronic updates the first time, you won't have to do it for future downloads. Quicken will just automatically associate the QFX with the AppleCard. However, you will always have to edit the QFX until GS and Quicken get their acts together.
    > >
    > > Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.
    >
    > I really believe Quicken is trying to squeeze some licensing fees from GS and turned off the verification to the GS servers.
    >
    > btw, where is our trusted "Quicken Sarah"? She is always on the ball on this >type of nasty issues.

>I updated to R28.24 but this workaround no longer works for me. I could >import my July transaction about a month ago, but couldn't do that with my >August transaction. I did the deactivate, even shutdown Quicken and restart, >still no go. No errors but just nothing!
    >I seems QUicken has done something again within these past 2 releases!

FWIW, this workaround just worked for me with the August statement on Version: R28.24 Build: 27.1.28.24.
  • refikrefik Member ✭✭
    > @sdgraves said:
    > > @ssllii said:
    > > > @FatSlowOld said:
    > > > There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.
    > > >
    > > > Export the transactions to QFX on your phone
    > > >
    > > > Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer
    > > >
    > > > Save it somewhere simple on your local drive ( I used downloads folder )
    > > >
    > > > Open the QFX file with notepad.
    > > >
    > > > You will see a section in the QFX that looks like this:
    > > > <FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940
    > > >
    > > > The 18940 is the financial institution. Change it to 03000 (Wells Fargo-LOL!)
    > > >
    > > > Save the QFX.
    > > >
    > > > Open Quicken.
    > > >
    > > > Right click your Apple Card account. Select edit.
    > > >
    > > > Click Online Services tab. Deactivate electronic updates.
    > > >
    > > > Click OK to close edit account
    > > >
    > > > File/File Import/Webconnect(QFX) file
    > > >
    > > > Select the QFX that you edited above.
    > > >
    > > > Tell quicken to import to your existing Apple Card account. If you haven't already been using Quicken w/ the Apple Card, then create a new account.
    > > >
    > > > Quicken will think that it's a Wells Fargo account instead of GS, but who cares?
    > > > After you have deactivated the electronic updates the first time, you won't have to do it for future downloads. Quicken will just automatically associate the QFX with the AppleCard. However, you will always have to edit the QFX until GS and Quicken get their acts together.
    > > >
    > > > Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.
    > >
    > > I really believe Quicken is trying to squeeze some licensing fees from GS and turned off the verification to the GS servers.
    > >
    > > btw, where is our trusted "Quicken Sarah"? She is always on the ball on this >type of nasty issues.
    >
    > >I updated to R28.24 but this workaround no longer works for me. I could >import my July transaction about a month ago, but couldn't do that with my >August transaction. I did the deactivate, even shutdown Quicken and restart, >still no go. No errors but just nothing!
    > >I seems QUicken has done something again within these past 2 releases!
    >
    > FWIW, this workaround just worked for me with the August statement on Version: R28.24 Build: 27.1.28.24.

No go for me either
    I just did the workaround on a win10 box and it worked. there were 2 places I changed the intu to 03000 vs just one. Of course I already entered all the trans manually yesterday. boo.
    the changes themselves: <ORG>Apple Card<FID>03000</FI><INTU.BID>03000
  • Worked for me as well!