Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Apple Card - still can't upload

12346»

Answers

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    >> difference being that August statement has new INSTALLMENT payment types. 

This seems easy to report to Apple Card and bypass.  I haven’t experienced this issue yet but I suspect when I make monthly payments on an Apple device, I might see it.  It would be trivial to edit the QFX file until it is fixed.  Not knowing OFX, I’m not sure what the INSTALLMENT type is supposed to do and why it’s really different from any other payment.
  • ozzyauozzyau Member ✭✭
    I couldn't import either and I'm getting error OL-221-A.
    In the past I imported all qfx statements by manually replacing the FID and everything imported fine up to June. Now I still can't install June. Incidentally, June is the first month I have an INSTALLMENT payment type.

For those that wonder, you can buy an iPhone from the AppStore with your Apple card and pay over (however many) months with no interest. Every month Apple adds an INSTALLMENT charge to your credit card until it is paid off.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I looked up the OFX standard and it does not list INSTALLMENT as a valid transaction type. 

I don't have access to the QFX standard, but it could be that some programmer at the FI (not Apple) got carried away and thought they could make up transactioin types.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Can you change INSTALLMENT to DEBIT or OTHER? Also, check rhe Connection log to see if you’re still getting a parse error.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    My guess is that INSTALLMENT makes sense on a loan account which Apple Card is not.  Does the INSTALLMENT OFX entry reference another account which is causing problems?
  • ozzyauozzyau Member ✭✭
    Well... that was easy. I opened to QFX file with Notepad and changed
    <TRNTYPE>INSTALLMENT
    by
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    and things worked like a charm.
  • lsclinelscline Member ✭✭
    Even with the INSTALLMENT hack (which Jordan.Jacob posted a few days ago), my imports are not correct, due to the way the installment "balances" are being specified in the QFX file. I'm importing to a new dummy account file while I'm testing this. The statements show a monthly balance (includes new purchases, plus installment amounts for the current month) and a total balance (includes the total amount of all remaining monthly installments as well as the current monthly balance). The QFX file shows a LEDGERBAL amount that reflects the amount outstanding on the remaining installments. Quicken took this LEDGERBAL and replaced my opening balance (which was previously zero) in my dummy account with this amount. And thus, after the monthly installments are added for a month, and my payment of that amount, the account balance remains the same as that LEDGERBAL. E.g. it's not getting lowered by my payment of the installments. If I change my opening balance back to zero, it gets rewritten by the next QFX import once again. So the QFX file entries need to be fixed, or Quicken needs to fix their import of these entries, or they need to get their heads together and decide the right way to do this. Until then, I'll just keep importing to my dummy account and fixing things up afterward.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    lscline writes:

>> The QFX file shows a LEDGERBAL amount that reflects the amount outstanding on the remaining installments.

I'm having a hard time understanding this and hope you can clear it up a bit.  I see two LEDGERBAL fields in my Apple Card QFX statement (without INSTALLMENTS).  The first is the current Apple Card balance (BALAMT) at the time the QFX file was exported, not necessarily at the end of the month.  Quicken sets the Online Balance field at the bottom of the account ledger to this amount.  This can be confusing for those folks who simply import QFX statements after some time when they are first available - the current balance will not be backed up by any transactions.  The second LEDGERBAL field  (AVAILBAL) seems to be related to the amount of credit left including holds but I can't see where Quicken actually uses it.  The Credit Remaining field at the bottom of the account ledger seems to be simply the Total Credit - Ending Balance.  Does that jive with what you are seeing?  Do the INSTALLMENT records reference a loan account?  When you imported the QFX, did Quicken prompt you to link more than one account?  Just curious.
    Yes, sorry for the shortcutting on details. The <LEDGERBAL><BALAMT> contains the current total monthly balance (includes new purchases, plus installment amounts for the current month), plus all remaining monthly installments, minus any current payments, as of the date of download. You could consider it a current total Apple Card balance, which is different from the current monthly balance, for INSTALLMENTS sake. And I agree that it is what I would consider the current online balance. AVAILBAL is unused, as you said.

What Quicken did on my first import with installments (July) to my dummy account, was take that BALAMT, subtract the current monthly (DEBIT/INSTALLMENT) transactions and set my starting balance for the account to that amount (replacing what I had previously as starting balance). When I subsequently imported the August QFX, BALAMT in the QFX file contains an amount reduced by the previous payment. But this reduced BALAMT didn't get reflected anywhere upon import.

The result of this, is that each month, new monthly installment transactions increase my balance in the register, and then my monthly payoff payment decreases my balance, but the ending balance always ends up the same as the starting balance (e.g. July BALAMT minus one set of installments).

I looked at what happens if I import July, fix the starting balance back to zero, then import August? (I deleted the dummy account and started over to do this experiment) Well, then the August import changes my starting balance to THAT BALAMT-currently monthly installments. Crazy. That would mean I'd have to change my starting balance back to zero every time I imported a new QFX file. But I have now found a workaround. I leave the starting balance as written over by the July QFX import. Add a dummy transaction right after the starting balance that brings the account balance back to zero. Then when I imported the August QFX, it left everything alone, and now my balance goes to zero when I make a full payment (full = regular balance plus monthly installments).

There aren't any INSTALLMENT records, per se. There are transactions that have a transaction type of INSTALLMENT (e.g. <STMTTRN>TRNTYPE>INSTALLMENT<DTPOSTED>date/timestamp here<TRNAMT>amount of transaction here<FITID>FI's transaction ID here<NAME>MONTHLY INSTALLMENTS (2 OF blah blah)</STMTTRN>). (the current hack is to replace the TRNTYPE of INSTALLMENT with either DEBIT or PAYMENT) They have the FI transaction ID, but there's no loan reference. And no, I wasn't prompted to link more than one account. With Apple Card, there's no separate loan account. Monthly installments are tracked within the Apple Card account. In the monthly statement there is a list for reference of each of the Apple Store original transactions which resulted in a monthly installment being made due for that month, and the date of final installment.

I know this is long, but I hope this makes it more clear what I'm seeing.
  • daveaultmandaveaultman Member ✭✭
    I'm pretty late to this conversation, but what I experienced.

I only once had to change the FI from Apple to Wells Fargo to get it to start importing again. Every month of export data from February to June, which wouldn't import, then import with no problems.

I then ran into the INSTALLMENT issue for July and August, which was easily fixed with the DEBIT hack.

Here's where the installment plans really get crazy from my perspective: the download and PDF statement for my iPad Pro show $104.08, but the App transactions show $114.83. It took me a while to figure this out, but the $10.75 difference in that figure is the monthly cost of Apple Care. The $10.75 is downloaded as a separate transaction in the QIF and listed as a separate transaction in the PDF, but the confusion/frustration for me now is that the app's transactions data doesn't match the QIF or PDF. Really lame.

To get all the records straight, I've created a second Apple Card Installment account in Quicken, input all my installment purchases into that, then record the monthly payments tacked onto the Apple Card balance as transfers to reduce the Installment account.

Apple really has made the whole credit card experience a mess for those of us who use Quicken.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    I haven’t tried this out yet but it seems to me one way of doing this is to create a loan account for the Apple device purchase and then record the installments as transfers/paymeninto the loan account.  When I purchase an IOS device later this year, I can try this out.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    >> I only once had to change the FI from Apple to Wells Fargo to get it to start importing again. Every month of export data from February to June, which wouldn't import, then import with no problems.

You shouldn’t need to do this any more.
  • ttrinchittrinchi Member ✭✭
    I just downloaded the the September QFX and last month I purchased the new Apple Watch on the installment plan. Not only has Apple in its wisdom, decided to create its own transaction type "INSTALLMENT" but now the balance that downloads includes the full remaining balance on the installment plan so the account will not reconcile.

Each month I will now need to rename INSTALLMENT to DEBIT and adjust the balance manually before uploading to Quicken.
  • I had been importing QFX files fine for months until my August and September statements. Baffled until reading this thread about the INSTALLMENT transaction type, having recently bought an iPhone SE on installment. Changing the <TRNTYPE> to DEBIT instead of INSTALLMENT works like a charm.

Apple really needs to fix this.
  • EQuickHEQuickH Member
    Just did this. The problem is definitely the fact that the file contains TRNTYPE = INSTALLMENT. Changed it to DEBIT and the file imported correctly.
  • RandyKobatRandyKobat Member ✭✭
    Same problem. July statement worked via download. August and September haven't worked. Very frustrating. Quicken finally got together with Goldman Sachs and their Marcus savings account. Why not the Apple branded credit card???
  • RandyKobatRandyKobat Member ✭✭
    > @FatSlowOld said:
    > There's a hacky way of working around it. I am running W10 and Q2020 on my box.
    >
    > Export the transactions to QFX on your phone
    >
    > Email the file to yourself so you can get it on your computer
    >
    > Save it somewhere simple on your local drive ( I used downloads folder )
    >
    > Open the QFX file with notepad.
    >
    > You will see a section in the QFX that looks like this:
    > <FID>18940</FI><INTU.BID>18940
    >
    > The 18940 is the financial institution. Change it to 03000 (Wells Fargo-LOL!)
    >
    > Save the QFX.
    >
    > Open Quicken.
    >
    > Right click your Apple Card account. Select edit.
    >
    > Click Online Services tab. Deactivate electronic updates.
    >
    > Click OK to close edit account
    >
    > File/File Import/Webconnect(QFX) file
    >
    > Select the QFX that you edited above.
    >
    > Tell quicken to import to your existing Apple Card account. If you haven't already been using Quicken w/ the Apple Card, then create a new account.
    >
    > Quicken will think that it's a Wells Fargo account instead of GS, but who cares?
    > After you have deactivated the electronic updates the first time, you won't have to do it for future downloads. Quicken will just automatically associate the QFX with the AppleCard. However, you will always have to edit the QFX until GS and Quicken get their acts together.
    >
    > Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.

Didn't work
    > @RandyKobat said:
    > > @FatSlowOld said:
    snip..
    > > Only tested by one person on one computer. Your mileage may vary.
    >
    > Didn't work

If you have any monthly installments, you need to do the later hack as well.
  • bcompainebcompaine Member ✭✭
    Thanks to @Jordan/Jacob, @lscline and all those who have contributed to this Apple Mastercard hack. However, it shouldn't be necessary. Apple (or Goldman Sacks) are the big of the big. They no doubt have hundreds of thousands of Apple Card/Quicken users. No excuse they can't make this work seamlessly.
  • pegsteinpegstein Member
    this has been a long standing problem with Apple Card and Quicken. It appears to me that the problems can only be solved in Quicken. Is this being addressed?
  • Bob@25[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    New problem this month. When I try to export my November statement from my iPhone Wallet and I select Export Transactions, I receive an error message (“Unexpected Error”). It doesn’t matter what format I select, I get the same error.
  • ttrinchittrinchi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    > @[email protected] said:
    > New problem this month. When I try to export my November statement from my iPhone Wallet and I select Export Transactions, I receive an error message (“Unexpected Error”). It doesn’t matter what format I select, I get the same error.

I was having the same issue earlier but seems to work now (had to try multiple times for it to work). They even fixed the "INSTALLMENT" transaction for installment purchases (Now they just need to fix the balance so doesn't include the installment total and will reconcile).
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    I didn’t have any problems with either QFX or PDF.
  • JohnAJohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Make sure that your files are in the format they are supposed to be. (Read them from an application such as notepad).
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    New problem this month. When I try to export my November statement from my iPhone Wallet and I select Export Transactions, I receive an error message (“Unexpected Error”). It doesn’t matter what format I select, I get the same error.
    But that isn't a Quicken issue, it is an Apple/financial institution issue.  You need to complain to them.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• > @ttrinchi said:
    > > @[email protected] said:
    > > New problem this month. When I try to export my November statement from my iPhone Wallet and I select Export Transactions, I receive an error message (“Unexpected Error”). It doesn’t matter what format I select, I get the same error.
    >
    > I was having the same issue earlier but seems to work now (had to try multiple times for it to work). They even fixed the "INSTALLMENT" transaction for installment purchases (Now they just need to fix the balance so doesn't include the installment total and will reconcile).

Apple/GS was very responsive to my support requests today, greatly appreciated. Mine also worked late this afternoon. And I was finally able to import the QFX file into Quicken without modifying the file first. Things are looking up.