Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Repeatedly asked for Quicken credentials related to Windows 10 2004 Crypto issue?

I searched to see if there was an existing thread on this but did not find one. In the past week or so, I've been bitten by the problem caused by Windows 10 2004 (May update) that causes Chrome to lose passwords and extensions. This is accompanied by floods of Crypto-DPAPI errors in the event log.

Thing of it is .. I also was being prompted for Quicken ID each time I ran Quicken after a restart. I *may* have gotten by this with the sign on with different account trick suggested in another thread but I'm not sure.

Is there a discussion somewhere that relates the Quicken behaviour to the same root cause as the Chrome sign-on behaviour?

Answers

• Hello @LexLuther,

Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you are still needing assistance, please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭
    I'm including my version info below as you requested. However, the primary purpose of my post was not to seek individual help, but to see if there was acknowledgement somewhere that the Windows 10 2004 problem that affects Chrome credentials being lost is related to Quicken asking for Quicken password each launch. These two behaviours started at the same time for me.

I think that my issue with Quicken was corrected by going a "different user" login, but I have not thoroughly tested that. I'm trying not to restart Windows unnecessarily since I lose all my credentials and extensions in Chrome when I do.

Year: 2020
    Version: R27.42
    Build: 27.1.27.42
  • Hello @LexLuther,

I apologize that I am unaware of any threads discussing this particular issue. 

However, I would like to thank you for providing the requested information and wish you luck in finding an answer!

-Quicken Natalie

• LexLuther
    LexLuther Member ✭✭
    Well, I've determined that Quicken prompts me for Quicken credentials after each reboot. Once entered, I stay authenticated. I've tried the "sign in as different user" trick (logging in as the same user). And for full disclosure, I'm having the same problem with Microsoft apps and Chrome, and the Microsoft/Windows/Crypto-DPAPI/Operational event log shows many errors such as

DPAPI Unprotect failed. Status: 0x8009000B
    ReasonForFailure: Could not get the master key

I've restaged my PC from scratch, and of course reinstalled Quicken. It seems likely that all these issues are related to Windows 10 version 2004 since there are known problems with authentication being required unnecessarily in apps. The problem may be unique to those using a local account rather than a Microsoft account for login. Chrome has issued fixes to work around the problem supposedly (but didn't fix it for me). Perhaps Quicken needs a workaround as well.
This discussion has been closed.