How do I permanently delete a damaged transaction that returns after deletion?

I have a transaction in a credit card register that is a (damaged) duplicate of a cleared transaction and I am unable to either modify or permanently delete it. If I attempt to modify the duplicate transaction, e.g., clear it, modify the category, I get an error that says "Can't modify this transaction, because it has been damaged. Please delete it and create a new one." I can delete it, but it returns the next time I open Quicken and backup the file. That is, I can delete the transaction, backup the file, and close Quicken. When I reopen Quicken the transaction is not there. But if I backup the file again, the damaged transaction immediately returns exactly as it was before.

I have validated and super-validated the file with no results. Validation does recognize that there is a corrupt transaction in the register and reports that it's been fixed, but that has not solved the problem. I have also attempted resetting the connection to the bank, also with no effect. How do I clear a transaction that is damaged and continues to return after deletion?

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I can delete it, but it returns the next time I open Quicken and backup the file. That is, I can delete the transaction, backup the file, and close Quicken. When I reopen Quicken the transaction is not there. But if I backup the file again, the damaged transaction immediately returns exactly as it was before. "
    When you say "I backup the file again", is this a "manual" backup you're referring to?  Quicken makes an "automatic" backup each time the file is closed, so manual backups - typically stored someplace else than the hard drive your active Quicken file is on - typically is an "occasional" event.  Quicken should remember the last active file you had open and knows where it is on the hard drive and should open that file automatically when you start Quicken.  Are you opening that active file or somehow opening a backup?
    You seem to be suggesting that the act of backing up is somehow causing that damaged transaction to re-appear, which doesn't make sense to me.  Have you tried opening the active file, deleting the damaged transaction, then closing Quicken without making a backup? 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Also, are you connected to the Quicken cloud ... and downloading transactions from there?
    That COULD be the source of the damaged record.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • LRewerts
    LRewerts Member ✭✭
    Tom Young - When I say "backup the file," I am referring to a manual backup, CTRL-B, which iI store in a separate location from the auto backup. The manual backups are then copied to a Dropbox folder for off-site backup. Quicken is opening the same active file every time, not a backup.

You are correct, it doesn't make sense that performing a manual backup would cause the damaged transaction to reappear, but that is exactly what's happening, although after more experimentation I've discovered that it's mostly just a matter of time. Deleting the transaction and closing the file without making a manual backup or syncing with the cloud does not make a difference. The transaction is gone the next time the file is opened and then reappears the first time a manual backup is performed again. Or, I have also discovered that if no manual backups or cloud syncs are performed, the damaged transaction will reappear after opening and closing the file several times.

NotACPA - Yes, I have been syncing to the cloud, but as noted in the response to Tom Young, the damaged transaction eventually reappears even without performing manual backups or syncing to the cloud.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Try turning off that cloud synch for a while ... and see what happens.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you deleted the transaction, and then had Quicken make a copy of the file?  Does the newly created copy behave the same. That internal copy process is supposed to truly delete deleted transactions. 
  • LRewerts
    LRewerts Member ✭✭
    Quicken is unable to create a copy using the File|File Operations|Copy function. Attempting to create the copy fails with a "File NOT copied" error. Adding CTRL+SHIFT to the copy function ("Ignore errors that prevent file copy?") also fails.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Finding your most recent backup that will successfully Copy is your best bet to recover.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I was thinking the same thing as @J_Mike about creating a new account and moving all the transactions (except the bad one).
    But the fact that the bad transaction can be deleted and then keeps coming back tells me that there is something outside of the main data file that might be causing this issue.  Which leads me to believe @NotACPA might be on the right track regarding Mobile & Web Sync.  I keep coming back to the conclusion that perhaps the bad transaction can be found there and if it is not deleted there it keeps downloading whenever the data file syncs with it (whether by manually running Sync or during OSU).  Turning off Mobile & Web Sync for a few days should help to confirm whether or not this is the cause.
    I don't use Mobile & Web so I don't know what information is available with it and can be edited there but if the transactions history is visible there can a search of the transactions show the potentially offending transaction and can it be deleted there?
    If not and/or if turning off Mobile & Web Sync results in the bad transaction not getting reentered into the data file account register, then perhaps a reset of the Cloud data would eliminate this issue.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.24 on Windows 10)
  • LRewerts
    LRewerts Member ✭✭
    I was not able to completely turn off cloud sync per NotACPA's suggestion, but I was finally able to solve the problem by creating a new account, moving all the good transactions from the old to the new account, and then deleting the old account including the corrupt transaction, as suggested by J_Mike. It's a tedious process as there's no way to batch move transactions, and all of the scheduled transactions related to that account had to be updated, but the damaged transaction is gone and has not returned to the new account. Thanks to everyone who chimed in for you help!
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You should try to Copy the file.  If it still won't copy, the next problem is a matter of when, not if.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    LRewerts said:
    I was not able to completely turn off cloud sync per NotACPA's suggestion, but I was finally able to solve the problem by creating a new account, moving all the good transactions from the old to the new account, and then deleting the old account including the corrupt transaction, as suggested by J_Mike. It's a tedious process as there's no way to batch move transactions, and all of the scheduled transactions related to that account had to be updated, but the damaged transaction is gone and has not returned to the new account. Thanks to everyone who chimed in for you help!
    I'm glad you were able to fix your issue.
    BTW, for future reference for Banking Accounts (including credit cards) it is easy to do batch transactions moves:
    1. Click on the oldest date transaction you want to move to highlight it.
    2. Scroll down to the newest date transaction you want to move and while holding down the Shift key click on it.  All the transactions you want moved should now be highlighted. 
    3. Right click anywhere on the highlighted transaction and click on Move.
    4. Select the account you want the transactions moved to.
    5. Click OK.
    For investment accounts the process for batch moves is a different but also very easy:
    1. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Move Transactions > check the boxes for the transactions you want to move.
    2. Check the box for Select all transactions of the same security as a group.
    3. Select the account to move the transactions to.
    4. Click Move.
    5. Click Done.
    Of course, you will still need to update any/all Reminders.
    One last comment.  In order to turn off Sync:  Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Off.
    Quicken will still Sync to your Cloud Account but it will no longer Sync with the Mobile & Web services.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.24 on Windows 10)
  • LRewerts
    LRewerts Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. Regarding moving the transactions, I did exactly as you describe. The problem isn't that I couldn't select them as a batch or move them as a batch, it's that the move of each reconciled transaction needs to be individually confirmed. Since that particular account is seven years old and nearly all of the transactions had been reconciled, that took a while. As for the cloud sync, I was able to turn off the mobile sync as you describe but couldn't figure out how to completely stop the cloud sync. Since it was the cloud sync I was trying to test I skipped it and just created the new account.

Thanks again for your help!
This discussion has been closed.