Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Vanguard download not working

Categories are not working... so i chose this one

My Vanguard account does not update through One Step Update or when I select 'Update Transactions' from within the account. The process runs, but no transactions are updated. When I download transactions from Vanguard manually, Quicken throws a, OL-362-A error, indicating that data was downloaded that is not in my Quicken file.

I have trued deactivating online services, then reactivating, which does not resolving the issue. I have also validated the file several times.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jcav65,

Can you tell us which versions and builds of both Windows and Quicken you are using?

Also how long has this been happening?

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • jcav65
    jcav65 Member
    Quicken, Version R27.42 Build 27.2.27.42 Windows Version 10.0.19041 About 3 months.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you connecting via "Direct Connect"?  To determine the connection method -

1) Open the account register in Quicken;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right; and select "Edit account details"
    3)  Click on the "Online Servibes" tab;
    4) the "Connection Method:" is in the "Online setup" box.

Frankx 

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @jcav65,

This problem usually has to do with account information that is out of sync with the bank's servers.  If you haven't already, here's the guidance you should follow: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362

You should also check the settings in you Vanguard account(s).  To do that:

1) Sign in to your Vanguard account;
    2) At the very top of the screen - click on "Profile & Account Settings";
    3) At the very bottom of the list - in the "Security Profile" section:
    - a) First, open the "Security code settings" - and make sure that "Frequency" is set to "Only when Vanguard doesn't recognize my computer or device"
    -b) Next, open the "Computer access restrictions" - and make sure that "Allow me to access my accounts from unrecognized or new computers, browsers, aggregation service, or mobile devices (recommended setting)." is checked.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any followups.

Frankx

• jcav65
    jcav65 Member
    Yes it is the direct connect method.
  • jcav65
    jcav65 Member
    Hi Frankx,

thanks for all the information, I have tried multiple times to disconnect the account and reconnected as mentioned in the page reference above. It has not helped.

I have also just checked the Vanguard setting you mentioned above and it is set up properly.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @jcav65,

Okay, I understand.  The only other thing I would suggest you do - if you haven't already - is to supervalidate the file.  Here are the instructions for that (BUT make sure that you backup your file before doing this):

If the issue is still present after you validate your file, you may be able to fix it with a more advanced procedure called Super Validate. To Super Validate your file, first hold down the CTRL+SHIFT keys, and then choose File menu > File Operations > Validate and Repair.

If that doesn't fix it - I would suggest you contact Quicken Support - here a this LINK with info.

Let me know how this works out.

Frankx

• jcav65
    jcav65 Member
    Hi Frankx,

I tried the super validate, it found a couple things, but nothing related to this account, and the problem still exists. I will need to call support.

thanks for all your efforts,

jcav65
  • I'm having the same, of very nearly the same, problem with my Fidelity account that jcav65 is having with Vanguard.

My account history log on Fidelity.com shows that 11 reinvest dividends (ReinvDiv) transactions should have been generated on 07/31/2020 and be available for download now.

When I run a One Step Update (or do an "Update Transactions") from within the Quicken account the One Step Update Summary shows that there are "0 new transactions" to download.

But, this is not that unusual -- it has been happening, at least intermittently, for months. I just correct for the missing transactions by adding them in manually. If I remember correctly, sometimes it is only a subset of the transactions that are missing.

My observation is that this problem only happens for the last trading/business day of the month -- with all other days having new transactions download without issue.

Seeing jcav65's post caused me to speculate that since both I and jcav64 seem to be having the same problem with two different brokerages and that jcav65's issue also seems at this point to be an end of month issue, and because financial institutions are likely to dump out many more transaction records at end of month -- then maybe that leads to the capacity of the Quicken system being overwhelmed at end of month.

Just an observation about an ongoing irritation, I don't know how valid it is. I'm currently using Quicken Premier 27.1.27.42 and Windows 10 Version 1909.
  • kj1231`
    kj1231` Member
    Same problem with my Vanguard 401K. Brokerage account is fine. Been going on for awhile now. Are there any options beside Quicken these days? I've using it for 20+ years but open to another product if it works.....
  • wi_muggs
    wi_muggs Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue with my Vanguard Account. It just won't download to my current quicken file.

I created a new quicken file with only my Vanguard 401K account and it was able to download the new transactions without any issues. I then export the records to qif file and then import them into my normal file

The One Step update should be providing some type of error, but it just skips the updates.

I have tried calling Quicken Support and their only solution was to delete my account and start new. I have years worth of data in this file.

I have tried checking through the log files and could not really find a reason why the sync will not work.

Quicken should be able to diagnose this issue and determine a fix.

Is there a limit to the number of transactions that you can have in an investment account on quicken or is there some other sync issue between the data being provided from the institution and what I have in Quicken.

Quicken Support can feel free to contact me if they would like to research this issue.
  • prathmell
    prathmell Member
    I just set up a new Quicken. I followed the steps to add Vanguard accounts and they all set up properly but there was ZERO activity and ZERO balance in each account. I re-ran the update which completed supposedly successfully, but the accounts are still empty. I am able to access the account data through Vanguard login on the web. Am I doing something wrong?
  • dnfinance
    dnfinance Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka, @Frankx, @Sherlock

The inoperable download process for Vanguard 401K accounts has been consuming Quicken customers' time and energy for several months now. We have invested considerable effort attempting to solve the problem only to see discussion threads closed before the issue is resolved. Reference: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875171/vanguard-401k-and-downloads#latest

Meanwhile Quicken support staff offer temporary work arounds. When the problem reappears, they explain that it is Vanguard's problem and it is up to the users to work with Vanguard. I have discussed the issue with Vanguard's tech support and the representative shared content from discussions they have had with Quicken staff. Vanguard believes they have provided proof that the problem is on Quicken's end.

I'm not able to say one or the other party is responsible, but my experience supports the position that both parties will need to work together to identify and make the necessary corrections to make the Quicken download process work again.

In your opinions, what can we users due to convince Quicken management that it is their responsibility to work with Vanguard?
  • dnfinance
    dnfinance Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock

You nailed it. Good work! You are an asset to this community.

Added information: After following Sherlock's instructions the next step is to perform a "Download" from the Vanguard site (Quicken's Web Connect). Quicken then asked me to link the data to an account in the Quicken file. Once linked to the 401K account, the missing transactions were downloaded along with numerous placeholders. The placeholders can be removed with the "Delete All" button that is on the Placeholders tab.

Thank you again Sherlock.
This discussion has been closed.