Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Need info on the transition from QBP to Quicken Bill Manager

Have been using quicken Bill Pay standalone for years, I have an old quicken but haven't been doing automatic downloading and billpay thru the software. I have questions on going to the new bill pay software.

1) to go to Bill Manager, I would assume I need to start using subscription quicken? Could I tell it I am a Bill Pay user and it migrate my bills?
a) Could I use deluxe and pay for Bill Manager?

2) does check pay work the way it does in bill pay? Print out a check drawn on my account and mail it to the payee? My bank does it the opposite way and this is a deal breaker for going to Bill Manager. I often schedule checks to arrive just after payday.

3) how long do most electronic payments take? In QBP most payments occurred within a day and were already credited by the next business day.

4) I will want to transition this month before it terminates. What is the best procedure for doing that?

Thank you for your time and attention.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @iamtony,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your inquiries regarding Quicken Bill Manager! 

To answer your first question, yes, you would need to be on the subscription version of Quicken to use Quicken Bill Manager. Plans and pricing for Quicken products are available here. Additionally, plans for Quicken Bill Manager specifically are available here

In regards to migrating from Quicken Bill Pay to Quicken Bill Manager, please see this Support Article, as well as this comprehensive FAQ for details regarding this process.

Finally, you may find more information and FAQ's available here, here and here

I know there is a lot of information to look through here, however, please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns after doing so! :smile:

-Quicken Natalie

• iamtony
    iamtony Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your quick reply. I did read the Support Article and it answers all my questions about the actual migration. The big question I have outstanding is how does Check Pay issue payments. That was not evident in the Article or the FAQs. On the contrary, the FAQs make it sound like Check Pay may do as my bank does and withdraw the money from my account on the sent on date and mail a check drawn on their account.

If you can clear this up for me I do appreciate it. That feature is quite important for me.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    From my experience with two funding accounts, Check Pay functions just like you were to write the check and mail it yourself.  There is no initial interaction with the bank (once it is authorized for Check Pay) and your account is debited when the check is presented for payment by the payee.  
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I should add that the checks are not post dated.  They are dated with the printing date which is when the payment initiates.  You are provided with a range of estimated arrival dates when you schedule the initiation date.  So, you need to be careful if you want to assure the check does not clear before the first of the month.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • iamtony
    iamtony Member ✭✭
    @QuickenHugh & @jrfaris, thanks. That is exactly how I was hoping it would behave.

Looks like I am going to be signing up this week.
  • ddenucci
    ddenucci Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken since the early 90's when it was a DOS version called CheckFree. I have generally been pleased with the product until now. The major issue I have is that the Quicken Bill Manager does not support any of my billers, i.e. USAA, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, CITI Credit Cards, or American Express. Unless immediate action is taken to support these billers, it would appear that I am now essentially paying an annual subscriptions for an enhanced spreadsheet. Very disappointed and considering alternatives to Quicken.
  • iamtony
    iamtony Member ✭✭
    @ddenucci Interesting. I have used BillFree as well. I had been using Quicken itself since version 1 that was given out to me working for WaldenSoftware in college.
This discussion has been closed.