Tax Planner Error - again

Tax Planner, in two categories, shows a correct total in the detail transaction breakout but carries an incorrect total to the summary at the top of the category page and to the overall tax calculation.  The discrepancy is large (about $50k).  I have reported this to Quicken via "Report a problem" including screen shot and sanitized data file. 

The two impacted categories are "Other Income/Taxable IRA/pension distribution" and "Withholding/Self".  No other categories are affected.  This only happens when I use the "Scheduled Transactions" to estimate my year-end tax situation.

This has been a recurring problem since February 2020.  Before then, Tax Planner had been working fine for more than a year.  I can temporarily fix it (see below) but this error always returns.  Validate only reports one issue, with a stock split that occurred in 1996.  I thought this problem was fixed on May 4 following a user suggestion to delete and rebuild all the scheduled transactions, but it returned on June 6, and again on June 17, July 2, July 3, July 17, Aug 3, and Aug 4 (today).  Validate has cleared the problem today, but I am sure I'll see it again in the near future.  After each date listed above, I have run Copy, Validate, and Super-Validate and verified the problem was gone.  The previous thread on this is: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7872941/tax-planner-inconsistency#latest , where I was having extended discussions with @markus1957 and @artg .  

Currently running Quicken Windows subscription R28.10, but I this problem began when I was running R24.14.  Running now on a new computer purchased last month, with Windows 10 Home, latest build 18362.959 .

Comments

• Hello @Ray Cosner,

Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community, as well as for submitting the information via Help>Report a problem, although I'm sorry to hear this issue persists for you.

If you'd like, I can merge this post with your original post that you mentioned above, and keep that thread open for comments, so that the tracking of this issue is all in one place for you.

Please let me know if this is something you'd like to proceed with! :smile:

-Quicken Natalie

• Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I'd like to keep this new thread separate.  The old thread was quite long (2 pages) and had a lot of postings that I considered unhelpful.

In looking over the notes I've kept, I think it's possible that the cloud update could be triggering this issue.  I was doing cloud updates as a part of OSU, and I ran OSU first thing in every session.  About the time this all started in February, I bought an Android phone, installed Quicken Mobile, and put the cloud update into OSU.  The timing is suspicious.  I have removed that auto-update from OSU, and will only use manual updates, checking Tax Manager immediately before and after each update.  If that eliminates this problem, I will post to this thread.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Ray Cosner,

Thank you for the response and for providing more details regarding the issue! I will leave this thread separate from the old one. :smile: 

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update!

-Quicken Natalie

• Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    Additional info ---

I already have one instance (the Aug 4 failure) where Tax Manager was fine just before a cloud update, and had the familiar error immediately after the cloud update.  So, the question is, was that a coincidence, or does a cloud update perhaps correlate 100% with the onset of this error?  Time will tell.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It happened again this morning.  I did my normal work (OSU, manual transaction entries and also Bills & Income and Investing).  Tax Planner was fine after all of that.

I checked Tax Planner once more (it was OK), then ran a manual cloud update, checked again, and Tax Planner was screwed up.  The last two TP failures (Aug 4 and today) both occurred as a result of a cloud update.  I checked TP immediately before and after the update for each of them. 

The cloud update today gave no error messages, but it did pause with a black screen for about 30 seconds and then it resumed and appeared to reach a normal completion.  I had not seen it pause like that previously.

Three categories were affected: other income/taxable pension, other income/social security, and withholding/self.  In each of these, the year-end projection was shifted from scheduled transactions to one of the other choices.  Two of the failed categories were shifted to no projection, and the third one (social security) was shifted to use the daily average.  I ran Validate, which had no apparent effect and did not gave any new messages.  I then changed the affected categories back to scheduled transactions, and TP gave me correct data once more.  I shut down Q and re-opened it, and TP was fine.

Today, being the third Wednesday of the month, my Social Security deposit was downloaded via OSU.  Many of the past failures have a habit of showing up in the middle of the month.  I will pull out a calendar and see if those were on the third Wednesday. 

There is also a pattern of failures right after the start of a month.  Coincidentally (ha!) my pension payment comes in on the first business day of each month.  Both social security and pension are split transactions, including withholding. Interesting that this error has a pattern of recurring at the start of a month and in the middle of a month, and that these monthly income transactions hit all three affected tax categories.  These are saved transactions, and all of them were rebuilt from scratch on May 4 in response to a previous user suggestion as mentioned above.

You can see these patterns in the failure dates, which I included in my first post of this thread.

It seems nearly certain to me that the cloud update also accounts for all other failures I have experienced going back to early February, since I was running the cloud update in OSU at the beginning of each session.

@Quicken_Natalie -- Will you report this to the development team, or should I do it via "report a problem"?
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Ray Cosner,

Thank you for posting back, though I'm sorry the trouble persists.

If you don't mind doing so, please go ahead and report the problem from the program directly by navigating to Help>Report a problem.

Please be sure to leave all boxes checked, as well as include a description of what's occurring. You may also reference this post.

Thank you! :smile:

-Quicken Natalie

• Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Per request from Quicken_Natalie, I have submitted a problem report to Quicken via "Report a Problem...".
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    I now have five documented TP (Tax Planner) failures starting with the Aug 4 incident.  Every one of them has coincided with receipt of either a pension payment or a social security payment, and the failure has occurred in a manual sync to the cloud (TP OK immediately before sync, TP bad immediately after).  The pension and social security income payments are unique in that they are split transactions (pension goes to checking account and to federal and state tax withholding, social security goes to checking and to Medicare insurance premiums). Each income payment causes TP to fail on two consecutive days - first, when the scheduled income transaction is due and posted to my registers (yesterday) and then when the transaction confirmation arrives from my bank via OSU (today).  File/Validate clears up the issue each time, until the next income trigger occurs.

I have maintained a log of every Quicken session since June 6.  When the session ran OK that is noted, and when TP has failed the details also are noted.  I would be eager to share this data with the people at Quicken Inc who are tasked with addressing problems such as this.  The log data runs to 2-3 pages in OneNote and I do not propose to post it here.

I'm not doing for my own amusement, but rather in the hope that someone at Q will find this data helpful.  I did a lot of product troubleshooting in my career (not in software) and I know the value of complete data on when the failures occur and when they don't occur.

I want to emphasize - I have had five failures of Tax Planner since Aug 4, and all of them occurred in the circumstances described in the first paragraph.  TP has failed every time when the above conditions are satisfied.  It has never failed except under these conditions.  This is clearly cause-and-effect, not a random occurrence.

@Quicken_Natalie - Where do we go from here?  Does anyone on the software integrity side of Quicken Inc have any interest in this issue?  Am I wasting my time keeping records of this? 

• Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have heard nothing more from anyone at Quicken.  The problem continues, as seen in my Social Security deposit this week.  Details in cloud sync behavior have changed, but the TP failure and its tie to cloud sync has not changed (with one new non-repeating anomaly).  Unless someone requests that I continue, I am going to stop posting on this topic.