Annoying message when opening Quicken file

Latest update now displays an annoying message that Quicken has detected that my data file is being accessed remotely every time I open my file. My file is on a secure NAS on my local network. This message is annoying and I cannot turn it off. This message needs to be removed or a box to "not display again" should be added.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @celarsen,

That warning is something that you should not dismiss.  Having your Quicken QDF file on a network is not recommended and will likely cause you to have data file issues, including file corruption, sooner or later.  It should be on a local folder, and Documents/Quicken is the default location.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • celarsen
    celarsen Member ✭✭
    It is my risk to take. My NAS is secure and is backed up daily. I have been using this setup for many years without a single file corruption. I should be able to decide if this is a risk I wish to accept and the message should not annoy me every time I access my data.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is.  Good luck.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • celarsen
    celarsen Member ✭✭
    I am very disappointed in your answer. You are saying that you are right and that you do not care what I think. No consideration for a way to dismiss this message permanently if I desire. I guess the customers opinion does not matter to you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I was doing is simply acknowledging that the risk is yours to take, nothing more and nothing less.

I know of no way to have the warning message disabled - sorry.

Frankx

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - just so you know - I am not associated with Quicken in any way other than I use the program.  I am another Quicken user who volunteers time to help other users.  Most other users do not understand the risks of where their file is located and whether it can cause problems.

Frankx

• celarsen
    celarsen Member ✭✭
    Okay, than you for your explanation as I did not know you were not associated with the Quicken company. Many people and small businesses use Quicken with the data on a network server instead of a local machine so that the data may be access by more than one computer, such as I do. I think they will find lots of people and small businesses that will not be happy that this message must be answered every time they access the data. Backups made from network servers running 24/7 are usually much more reliable than backups from individual computers which may be powered down when not in use.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Inc. has never supported network data files. To do so invites data corruption. The new opening message simply highlights that fact. Data corruption comes in many shades and may not present itself until months down the road.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Hello @celarsen,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your feedback and experience regarding this, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

You may consider creating an Idea post requesting that the ability to disable this message be added to Quicken. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

More information and steps to do so are available here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• cs
    cs Member ✭✭
    I agree with OP that this new message is annoying, and at the very least should have a "don't show this again" option.

I'm also really tired of the responses about not using a network drive for the Quicken file. I've been doing this for about 15 years now, and if you know what you're doing it doesn't increase risk of data corruption or cause any other problems. I'm fine with Quicken not supporting this officially, but don't understand why this warning was worth precious development effort, when many wishlist items (better reports anyone?) deserve more attention. Heck, why not put development effort towards actually supporting a networked setup?

BTW, I also recently used a Dropbox setup for my files (to access them from my laptop during vacation), and surprise! that doesn't cause a problem either.

(I know "a little bit" about the technologies involved, and would challenge anyone to provide technical details to substantiate the claim that a properly networked setup is a problem.)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    cs said:

(I know "a little bit" about the technologies involved, and would challenge anyone to provide technical details to substantiate the claim that a properly networked setup is a problem.)
    Unless you have worked as an analyst or programmer for Quicken, you have no idea of what type of setup they are using, so you can not be in a position to evaluate the use of their program against a networked data file.  Quicken evidently feels it is an issue and doesn't want users complaining to them when the data file gets corrupted.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    cs said:
    Quite simply stated, Q lacks the "Lock", "Commit" and "Rollback" commands that would be necessary to safely work in a networked environment.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • celarsen
    celarsen Member ✭✭
    All we are asking for is a way to click a box to acknowledge the issue and not display the message again. Those of us who accept the risk do not need to be reminded every time we launch Quicken.
  • Dan
    Dan Member ✭✭
    I need my file to be shared out from my local NAS server so that my wife or I can open quicken from our computers. Is there a way to supress this notice? I am not seeing it every time I launch quicken and it opens my data file. I am on R28.10, Build 27.1.28.10. I think this just started happening with this update.
  • Stempy
    Stempy Member ✭✭
    Like other users, I've been running my Quicken file from a network share for 15+ years with zero issues. My NAS is about 10x more reliable and secure than my local desktop, with point-in-time restore snapshots, automatic backups, RAID, UPS power protection and system fault monitoring. To request I move it locally is creating hassle, aggravation, and creating data risk that was completely mitigated with my NAS setup. It is because I care deeply about my 15+ years of financial data that I have entrusted it to a NAS.

Perhaps the real worry is that multiple users will attempt to share the file simultaneously, and Intuit doesn't want to work on file locking for what they feel is a single-user, small-scale product. I can completely understand that, but this is not my use case. I'm absolutely a single user of Quicken, with no multi-user access issues.

It's fine if Intuit needs to warn at least once about accessing via a network share - so long as we can be treated like adults, and turn off the warning permanently. It would be best if the option to do this was on the dialog itself, but failing that, bury it in some obscure menu if you must.

By the way, the warning says "date file", not "data file".

I've added a "product idea" as suggested above in this thread:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879032/allow-networked-quicken-file-warning-to-be-disabled-permanently/p1?new=1
  • Dan
    Dan Member ✭✭
    Quicken does prevent a second user from opening the file. I often hear "Are you in Quicken?" yelled from my wife's desk, followed shortly by me yelling "I'm out now." :smile: Hopefully, they will have a way to disable this from popping up at every launch.
  • Dan
    Dan Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I see there is already a thread on this and it doesn't look like I can delete mine. [removed self-referencing link to merged thread]
  • Hello Dan,

I have gone ahead and merged your post with the ongoing Discussion regarding this issue.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello All,

An Idea post has been created for this, requesting that the ability to disable/suppress this message be added to Quicken.

Allow networked quicken file warning to be disabled permanently

Please be sure to navigate to the top of the Idea post and add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count!
    Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.