How to setup US BANK with Direct Connect for online bill payments [Edited]

So as I am being forced into this whole transition For testing purposes I set up some online payees to send off a few payments with the new Bill Manager.
The first electronic payment I tried to send to my credit card company for 2200.00 resulted in a message saying I could not send more than 1000.00 … I suspect I would be forced to send a check for this one instead with the new system which is a big problem with the severe limit placed on the number of checks you can send with Bill Manager.

Next I went on to try to send a smaller amount to another payee and I shortly after sending it got a message that the payee website was off line. I immediately went to the website in question with my browser and logged into it successfully so clearly it was not offline!

At that time I said screw this waste of time and paid my bills with a combination of the old billpay and my online service through my bank.

As Billpay is being discontinued at the end of the month and the new service is clearly worthless as it stands I will be forced to enter all my payees into my banks online system and pay them from there.

When I upgraded ( if you want to call it that) to the subscription service the fact that free billpay was to be included was going to offset the cost for me, now I cant use it and I am not getting what I paid for.

So as it stands now I will have to run my monthly scheduled transactions in Quiken to get everything in the register, then go online with my bank and enter and send all the actual payments.

I use US bank so if anyone has any suggestions that don’t involve Bill manager and are a little more elegant than my current work around I would be very interested in hearing them.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several banks that offer their own online bill payment service also interface directly with Quicken.  I happen to use Chase, and it works really well...
    There are several variations of the naming of "US Bank" so not sure what the exact name is for Quicken to use.   You can check your Quicken account Online Services, for Bill Payment - and see if your bank is listed....

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Okay .. It looks like I am already paying US bank a 3.95 fee for quicken as I download my transactions from them from what I read on the US bank site this fee would also cover sending payments through quicken. When I go to my one step update in the list I see US bank - FPM Direct Connect listed ... how do I check to see if I am already enrolled and more importantly .. if I am how in the heck do I use it!
  • ps56k
    everything I find when searching online seems to reference billpay or bill manager .. how does what you suggest circumvent that?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    ok - here is the Quicken entry for - US Bank PFM -
    01401    01401    01401    U.S. Bank - PFM Direct Connect    http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/about/downey/index.cfm    1-949-854-3100    https://www4.usbank.com/internetBanking/RequestRouter?requestCmdId=DisplayLoginPage    ACTIVE
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT             
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT  

SO - it looks like you should be able to use US Bank for online payment via Quicken.
    BUT - you will have to first see if there is an additional charge from US Bank for this feature.

• ps56k Okay .. I just called my bank and they said to use quicken to pay bills through them you had to use quicken billpay.
    Of course there is always the possibility this is misinformation .. are you saying with chase you are able to completely bypass the whole billpay / Bill manager mess?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    My subscription runs through 2020 so if Bill Manager does not improve by then, I too will be interested in using US Bank from Quicken.  Their online information says:
    2. Direct Connect with Bill Pay. Automatically download your transaction information and pay bills directly with Quicken. The first two monthly service fees are waived as long as you connect at least once during that time, after which you will be charged a service fee of $3.95/month.

They also give a number for tech suppport, you may need to talk with them:
    To enroll in Direct Connect with Bill Pay, please call U.S. Bank Technical Support at 800.987.7237 and select option 2.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Just to clarify ..... do you currently have your Quicken setup
    with an account for the US Bank PFM entry entry as named above....
    since there are about a dozen differently named US Bank entries -
    all with different capabilities.
    YES - with Direct Connect - it is a 2-way connection directly to Chase, and anything I do in the Chase online bill payment will show up in my Quicken, and I can "Send" a bill payment transaction to Chase, and it shows up in my Chase account in the bill payment area...
    If you go to your Quicken accounts - .... Mernu --> Tools --> Account List -->
    you should see your bank --> the Transaction Download column MUST be Direct,
    click EDIT --> Online Services --> down at the bottom --> Activate Online Bill Pay -
    and then you should see a screen similar to mine for Chase (posted above)

• Disgruntled user
    Disgruntled user Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    This is what I see

EDIT - added instream image for user

• I hear Crickets :) ... Has anyone used quicken with a "US bank" checking account and successfully bypassed having to use quicken Bill Pay, or Quicken Bill Manager?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm - I don't want to break anything at your end.... so I'll wait for any comments -
    I also updated the topic title to also include the idea of how to use US Bank directly
    There are several hundred banks that offer the DIRECT Connect + online bill paying.

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for updating the title. I have US Bank for checking and use their online billpay system but do not yet pay for Direct Connect so I am still on Express Web Connect. I would also like to hear if anyone is able to initiate US Bank payments from within Quicken.  From the description US Bank provides, it seems like direct Quicken access to their billpay system should be included.  However, given the recent issues with Chase billpay and DC access, I'm reluctant to switch from EWC without knowing.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have been using US Bank PFM direct connect with Quicken for 15 or 20 years.  I pay their $3.95/month (until a year ago it was $5.95).  It works very well for me, never a problem.  You do need to contact US Bank support as you were advised, to set it up, as it makes a different connection with different credentials than the express web connect. 
  • Ray Cosner

So are you saying you are able to write checks from your US bank account using quicken without using Quickens Bill Pay service or Bill Manager service?
    As it is I already have “US Bank PFM direct connect” as can be seen in my screen shot a few post back.

To clarify my goal is to write checks into the quicken register and then send them from Quicken through my US bank checking account WITHOUT using Quicken Bill Pay which is being discontinued or its somewhat worthless replacement Quicken Bill Manager.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. 

In the "Check#" column of the register, you select the action "Send Online Payment".  The first time you do this for each payee, you will be asked to provide a mailing address, account number, and contact phone number for the payment.  For subsequent payments to the same recipient, this information is retained and you don't need to do anything beyond selecting "Send Online Payment". 

You can select a future date for the payment to be made, but if the date you select is too soon in the future (4-5 business days) then Q will change it to the first acceptable date, with a pop-up notification informing you of the change.  I generally enter payments at least 7 days before the payment is due.  The payment order then goes to my bank via One Step Update.  Q will indicate that the payment has been submitted, by putting an icon on the left end of the transaction line in the register.  When the payment is made, you will get the usual confirmation that it has cleared via One Step Update.

As I mentioned, I have been using this system for many years, and never had a problem.  No missed or delayed payments as far as I know - never had a complaint from the party I was paying.  I have done this to pay large corporations, and  individuals like my lawn guy.

Q is only involved in that I create the transaction in my checking account register as described above.  I was doing this long before Quicken ever had Q Bill Pay or Bill Manager, and those utilities are not involved.

As noted above, you must contact US Bank support to set it up as these transactions use different login credentials than you have for the normal browser login to the bank.
  • Ray thanks for the additional information.

This is so typical these days … I called my bank yesterday and was told that using quicken Bill Pay service was the only option for this.

Since you have successfully done this without all the Quicken Bill Pay nonsense I guess I will keep calling my bank until I get someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Wish I would have known this was possible years ago so I could have saved the monthly fees associated with Quicken Bill Pay over the years.

I will update this post with any useful information I find out after talking to the bank again.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Disappointed user
    Why don't you call US Bank Tech Support instead of your local bank?  Local banks have very little knowledge regarding centrally managed online services.
    jrfaris said:
    To enroll in Direct Connect with Bill Pay, please call U.S. Bank Technical Support at 800.987.7237 and select option 2.

Quicken user since 1995
  • Jfaris

That actually is who I did call yesterday and will call again soon to play tech support roulette with regarding this matter :)
  • Okay here we go.

Note: I am on a windows system, using the Quicken paid subscription for what that’s worth

There are two parts to your US bank FPM direct connection “Download” and “Upload” You have to make sure your bank has both turned on for you.

After you have established your bank has both turned on for you then right click the bank account you want to set up then select “edit/delete account” then select the “online services” tab then deactivate Quicken Bill Pay in the online bill payment section by clicking the “Deactivate” button.

Note: If you have any payments in your register set up for online payment that you have not sent yet you will need to temporarily change them to say “print” and then go back after everything is set up and change them back to online payments, otherwise it will not let you deactivate the service.

Once Quicken Bill Pay is deactivated once again right click the bank account you want to set up then select “edit/delete account” then select the “online services” then in the online bill payment section select “activate” select US Banks online service rather than Quickens and follow the directions.

I had to jump though a few extra hoops because they failed to activate the upload portion of the connection before they had me set things up which is why I mention that at the beginning of this, do not try this until you have contacted US bank and made sure both upload and download is turned on. In fact it is a good idea to have them on the line during the process just in case you run into any issues.

If you are starting from scratch the fee currently is 3.95 per month all in to have both the upload and download connection with US bank.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had to reset this a couple months ago when I was setting up a new computer.

I went to the corporate US Bank web site, logged in, did a search for "Quicken". and went through the hits until I found a support number.  I called that number, and the person immediately told me what to do.  I probably wasn't on the phone with them more than five minutes.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    YEA.... let us know when you actually SEND a few transactions.
    You should be able to then go and log into your online US Bank website, and view, verify,  edit, modify, or cancel your online payment transactions..... at least I can do all that on Chase.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    The number I called at US Bank was (800) 872-2657.  I note that is not the same number @jrfaris sent you.  I don't recall where I found this number, but I'll guess it was from the search of their website as I mentioned above.  This number has one of those automated call handlers - I hit the option for "Technical Support" as I recall.
  • Okay so I sent a test payment to my credit card company just now, It kind of looks like everything is sent as a check, if this turns out to be the case then I will need to pay time sensitive bills a bit earlier … Payment sent 8/5/2020 – says it will process on 8/7/2020 and will be delivered on 8/11/2020.

As I have already paid bills for this month I will not be able to give it a full test until the end of this month, but so far looks like it is working.

The payment shows in the quicken register, but not yet in my US bank online register, I suspect it will show up as a pending payment in the online register on the 7th sometime … we will see.

I called the bank as to why a payment to Wells Fargo would not be electronic and was told that the processing company (Check Free) will only accept a certain dollar amount of transactions paid electronically per day as they pay a fee.

So in theory if you paid a bill in the morning it may well go electronically, if you pay it in the afternoon it may be sent by check and take longer … so the safe bet when using this service is to plan that everything will take a week to get there and be pleasantly surprised when it happens faster.

During the conversation I was also informed the payment I just sent did show up on their end so it was nice to have that confirmed rather than wondering about it.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I don't know how the US Bank online payment works compared to my Chase.
    It's been too long ago, and don't recall how to setup in Quicken the online Payee so it is a online ACH transfer vs a physical paper check being created and mailed.
    I had originally been using the Chase online bill payment website, and had created all my Payees and been entering and paying bills from the Chase website. I had setup the Payees in Chase, and at that time, they would be matched to what Chase knew it could handle electronically... so they were setup for online transfer vs paper check.
    Then I stumbled across the concept of linking Chase with Quicken - here on the forum.  When I setup Quicken to use Chase directly, and did the One Step Update - I think my Payees came across and now appeared in my Quicken Online Payee section.  My point is that my Chase was already properly setup to use the Payee as an electronic payment, so the Quicken conduit would be doing the same thing.
    I did a test today, with a dummy Payee, created an entry in the checking account registry for payment on 8/20, did a One Step Update.  Then went to the Chase online website, looked at the payment activity, and my transaction was sitting there pending for 8/20.  I could edit or cancel it - so I cancelled it... first time... wanted to see how Quicken handles it.  Went back to Quicken and did a One Step Update - and the transaction now shows up as "cancelled" and the amount field is now blank. 
    Just some things to play with -
    to see the payment transactions in your US Bank online website....

• I am still in wait and see mode on the the test payment I sent which US bank verified was in their system, but still does not show up when I log into their website.

You would think it would show up as a pending payment like the ones do that you send directly from their site, but apparently this is not the case as when I made the payment they said it would be processed on the 7th which was yesterday and it still does not show up when I log into the US bank site.

Not a hugely big deal as long as it gets processed and paid, it would just be a little more reassuring if payments showed on their site after you sent them from quicken.

I am temped to send $1.00 to all my payees and see what happens to work out any potential issues before bills are actually due later this month.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. I'm curious about your Online Payee List.  I assume that your US Bank checking account is now listed as a Financial Institution in the drop down menu.  Does the list of US Bank Payees include all those you had already set up at the US Bank website or just the one(s) you've set up from Quicken?
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Disgruntled user
    Disgruntled user Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Yes US bank is listed at the top of the online payee list … The payees are only the ones I set up in quicken.

I had set ones up on the US bank site in case I could not get the issue resolved and when I got everything set up with quicken there were some variations between the payees I had set up on the site and what I had in quicken as I had updated payee addresses etc when I set up the payees on the US bank site none of it transferred in either direction. So from appearances neither list is linked to the other in any way.

Additionally I have another bank account linked from another bank and when I switch between accounts the payee list does not change which is further evidence there is not any sort of linkage involved with the payee list.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    For ANY "Direct Connect" functionality with USB, you need to work with their Tech Support to enable the product on their end.
    This includes BillPay, which requires Direct Connect.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • The payment to my credit card company that I initiated on 8/5/2020 actually processed on the 10th for delivery on the 11th and was sent as an electronic payment.

When the payment was originally made on my end it said it would process on the 7th for delivery on the 11th …. The payment did not show up on the US bank site in any way until it was processed on the 10th.

I have not had time to contact US bank yet to see if any better functionality can be had, but I will as soon as I get an extra 20 minutes or so somewhere to do that.

Right now my recommendation if you are using US bank is to pay bills a week earlier than you normally would to be safe.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Disgruntled user, & others...

I have enjoyed following this thread, as I had recently gone through the process of setting up bill payments in Quicken with a different bank than the one I had been using exclusively since December 1997.  I can tell you that the overall "process" has not gotten easier over the years, but that - as far as Quicken is concerned - was virtually seamless for me both times I've gone through it. 

My issues in establishing the process at a new bank a couple of months ago were complicated by the bank's processes, not Quicken's. And after I figured out how to fulfill the new bank's requirements I am now continuing to make my regular payments through the new bank.  I should also note that have historically paid the vast majority of my regular bills only through Quicken for these last 23 years.  And in contrast to others here, I have never had to enter, establish, or setup payees or payee information on a bank's website to effect payments through Quicken .  In fact, when I make payments using this new bank, I simply use the same Online Payee List that I first setup 23 years ago - no changes were required.  Obviously, I have added new payees and made changes to payee names, and addresses, etc. over the years, but that's just routine maintenance.

So I am a big proponent of using one's own bank - if possible - to make your bill payments.  But this is not meant to demean, in any way, the bill payment processes that Quicken has established with third parties over the years either. I consider myself lucky to be able to use my banks' processes without having to go through the additional work that would be required if I used one of the outside third parties.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• j0001
    j0001 Member ✭✭
    Can I ask what bank you are using? I am looking for one to use now that Quicken has totally messed up their online billpay system.
This discussion has been closed.