Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Corrupted file?

All my passwords disappeared from the vault. After super validating Quicken show that my file is corrupted. So I figured I would use a backup 11/19 to check and see how far back the corruption goes. When I loaded the backup file some how part of 2020 transactions has loaded just for the checking account, not real sure how that is possible. My investment account are correct. I am trying not to start over again. I have also tried to make a year end copy but nothing is removed even though the items are reconciled and/or I no longer own the stock. I did not have this issue until I had to call tech support 2 weeks ago and they had me unlink my cash accounts and relink for a cash issue which turned out to be a issue with the software and not my file.

Software is up to date

I have been using quicken since 1991, its a big file. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Open a backup from prior to the support contact.  Start from there.
  • lizzyfshlizzyfsh Member
    I did that went back to November of last year still pulls in 2020 transactions
    Are you syncing to the cloud?  If so that could pull in transactions.  Otherwise, what you describe just can't happen.  Turn off cloud sync right after restoring from backup. Don't let it sync.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring an old backup can result in Reminders (scheduled transactions) executing because their trigger dates have passed.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    Squirrel That is it! That is why it looks so funny just my scheduled transactions are showing up. Now can anyone explain why I can not do a year end copy? I have reconciled all the way back to 1993 tried to make a year end copy hoping to purge the corruption but all my data is still there. I did chose the option to keep only this years data. I really don't want to lose all that data but willing so I do not have to set up all my 28 accounts all over. BYW checked November backup its is corrupted also. Not sure how long I have been working with a bad file.
    Try the File>File Operations>Copy from the menu with the default settings.  If it will not copy, try it again holding Shift + Ctrl key while clicking Copy, choose the "Ignore Errors" option.

You might try it on a backup file from before you contacted support so you can start with the file before messing with it.
    Thanks Markus1957. I can copy the file but there it is still corrupted. I believe at this point I have to start new which is a bummer. I have tried to supervalidate a file from November again corrupted. Thanks for the help
    Could you copy and paste the actual error?  What effect is it having on your file?
    I do not get an error, quicken make the year end copy but the files are duplicate
    I think I have found the account that has the error. Wondering if I delete that account will it fix the corruption. I have been exporting my transactions to xls files one account keeps crashing quicken, Thoughts? It is a credit card account so not such a big deal if I delete and start that one over.
    You could move the transactions to a new account and then delete the old one. The corrupted transactions likely won't move.
    Interesting idea wondering if it is worth deleting accounts one by one to find where the corruption is, delete all transactions say before 2010 or just start over. When I make a copy of the whole file the corruption follows.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @lizzyfsh

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

While removing the accounts individually to locate the problem account could potentially save you transaction history and would depend on how important the past transactions are to you.

There is also the possibility that the issue may not be found after removing accounts and transactions. There is also the possibility of moving forward with a once damaged file that it may be difficulty to determine if the issue is related to this initial problem, should you encounter a problem in the future.

Meanwhile, starting a brand new file can also be a lot of work to get everything up and running as before.

Please let us know what you end up deciding to do!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
    Well Tyka I have a mess and right now I think the software really isn't what it use to be. I have started a new file and that is not working either. Calling support is awful. Thinking at this point I am gonna ask for my subscription money back. and enter my transactions manually
This discussion has been closed.