Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Multiple Accounts at Same Payee

Hello All, I have just started migrating to the Quick Pay. What a mess this is. Current issue is as follows: I have 3 accounts with AT&T. Home cable/internet, family cell, and work cell. Added all 3 and they show up in the Bills & Income page exactly the same - as "AT&T". In the past when life was simply I could tweak the Payee names so I could tell them apart. Now apparently not? So any ideas as to how on earth to tell these apart?

Answers

• Quicken Julio
    Quicken Julio Moderator, Employee mod
    Hi @Ed,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

I an understand your frustration about not being able to differentiate between your AT&T Online Bills.

I would suggest creating a unique Bill Reminder for each AT&T account to help tell them apart. To the right of the Online Biller, there is an arrow next to Enter or Pay Now (depending on the biller) that you can click.

You would then choose Link to reminder.

In the next window, you would choose the desired Bill Reminder. If you haven't created any Reminders yet, you can click Create a new Reminder.

You would select the Payee, Due Date, Amount Due, etc. in the next window and click Done.

In order to make sure that we could continue to provide you with bill payment capabilities after the discontinuation of Quicken Bill Pay, we focused on ensuring the core functionality of bill pay continues to work for you, but this is certainly not the end of our development of the feature!
    Best,
    JV
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the quick response. I don't see this as a solution though. I don't want a reminder. Here is how I have been using Quicken for the past 25 years (yes - 25 years):

1) Enter my bills as I received them for future payment
    2) Do a one step update once in a while (pmts uploaded, etc.)
    3) Get paid (once a month)
    4) All my scheduled payments process day after payday

And BTW the process to enter a scheduled payment in my checking register went like this:

<date>, tab, tab, <first few letters of payee name>, tab, <amount>, enter

Hands never left the keyboard, takes all of 10 seconds. Now it seems all about more clicks, pop dialog boxes, payment reminders, blah blah. It's a mess and so much less efficient. I honestly don't understand who on earth thinks this is an improvement. I tried to enter a payment to Chase for a date in the future which appears to be impossible. Brilliant.

[Removed-Rant/Unhelpful]
  • baywoodtx
    baywoodtx Member
    I totally agree. With multiple accounts under one payee, I have no idea which account to pay or which one will be paid. I chatted with support about this issue and they told me to "try" something. I said try? Either it does it or it doesn't do it. Back to paper checks and stamps. Quicken totally missed the mark on this one.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bills, Income & Transfers view can be customized (gear icon) to show an optional "Show Memos for bills" line. Have you enabled this?
    If the Memo line shows the phone number or account number for this bill, that should help you see which is which.
    Oh, and if you dislike Online Bill Pay, how about authorizing the billers to automatically withdraw the money from your checking account (or a credit card) on their due date? Then, in Quicken, all you need is a Scheduled Reminder to locally record this transaction in your register. No muss, no fuss with Online Bill Pay (whoever the service provider is).
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    I have not tried the show memos for bills - thanks and will try this. Account numbers are not exactly user friendly but better than nothing for now.

As for authorizing billers to just take money from my accounts that is not a method that works for me. I normally schedule bill payments for the day after I get paid. And in many cases I make partial payments in between pmt due dates for those that I get reimbursed for by my company. In short, that is a bad answer for Quicken removing functionality that they've had in the product for 10+ years.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @baywoodtx

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community provides this feedback, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you find that Quicken does not offer a feature that you would like to see, you may post an Idea thread so that others may vote to have the feature added.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka, I'll leave that to you. These are bugs. You have my feedback. Do with it what you will.
This discussion has been closed.