Is Quicken confused?

I just entered a credit card transaction with multiple items in its split transactions. I saved it and when reopening it, a completely different transaction appeared (with a different amount and different splits from another transaction in the distant past).

Something is obviously wrong with Quicken. My question is what is the problem and how do I recover from it?

Here’s some history:
• I’m using Quicken 2020 Premier, Version R27.42, Build 27.1.27.42
• I have Windows 10, latest updates installed
• My transaction history with Quicken dates back to 1992 (28 years ago). Am I pushing some limits here?
• My Quicken QDATA.QDF file has 39,904 KB. Is this too big?

Questions:
• How can I recover my data? If I delete the newly appearing splits, will they also be deleted from their original transactions and screw up my history?
• My recently entered splits appear to be lost. Can they be recovered or found?
What is the underlying problem here?

How can I recover my database and get back to business?

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hi @ Jardon2,

What you are describing seems very unusual.  So I would first suggest that you make sure that your "View" of the account hasn't been accidentally changed.

1) Open the "problem" account register in Quicken,
    2) At the top of the register - click on the "Reset" button.
    3) That should return the view so that it shows "All Dates",  "Any Type" and "All Transactions".

Let me know whether that fixes the problem.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say "file size" isn't a problem, mine is much larger than the 39,904 KB you report.  My first guess would be data corruption of some sort so I'd suggest opening the 1st available backup before you entered the credit card transaction, and validating that file:

File > File Operations > Copy...
    Name the copied file something different than your current file.
    Open the newly named file and then File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...

• Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Hi Frankx,

Thanks for responding to my plea for help.

I followed your instructions and brought up the Account register. I did not see any button that allowed me to “Reset”. There were no menu options for a “Reset”. Also, I have no idea what you are referring to by my “View” of the account.

I am running Quicken 2020 Premier with all files residing on my Desktop computer – it does not run over the internet. Does that make a difference in your recommendation?

So far, the problem has not been resolved. Do you have other suggestions?
    Jardon2
  • Tom Young
    edited August 2020
    If that doesn't work I'd suggest the file validation process next.

• Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Hi Tom Young,

Thanks for responding to my plea for help.

You’ve cleared up my concern about file size. I agree that there is file corruption.

I have ample backups (daily scheduled backups to an external hard drive and a continuous offsite backup to Carbonite). So, I created another backup and ran your suggested validation. Guess what – there were no errors.

I was able to find the source for the new transaction that replaced my newly entered transaction – it was from a transaction previously entered 7 months ago. Weird.

Current plan: Delete the errant transaction, close & reopen Quicken, and re-enter the data as originally intended. Then assess the fall-out, e.g., did this delete affect the original 7-month old transaction; will this anomaly recur, etc.?

Thanks for your assistance. Can you think of anything else that I can do? Is there someone or a link at Quicken that I can report this problem? I no longer trust Quicken.

Jardon2
  • Tom Young
    edited August 2020
    For the moment I'd just monitor the situation.  There's a more extreme validation process available - "supervalidate" - but I believe it's generally recommended when "validate" does find file errors  but can't fix them.  That's because the supervalidate process can create its own errors in your file.
    It's at least possible that what happened here is user error if the original transaction was memorized, and the original transaction was got recorded as the new transaction.  That seems like a somewhat remote possibility since there were splits involved but I've certainly made that error a few times with non-split transactions.
  • Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Hi Tom Young,

Thanks for the advice. I will go with your recommendation and monitor the situation. Also, I will delete the erroneous transaction and try to recreate it.

I am reluctant to use the “supervalidate”. I have 30 years of Quicken transaction history and don’t want to jeopardize it. If current plans are not successful, I will begin a search for alternatives to Quicken or see if Quicken can assist.

As you noted, there was no memorized transaction involved. The transaction and its splits was for a routinely used credit card and there were many intervening transactions to the same vendor between when it originally occurred and the appearance of the error.

Jardon2
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jardon2,

Just a comment that you might want to consider...

"Super validate" is an additional "tool" that may be able to correct the potential "data corruption" that apparently may exist in your Quicken data file.  Since you will, as instructed, make a copy of your most recent data file before running super validate, there is no possibility that you will "jeopardize" your file.  You cannot lose your 30 years of data, if you've backed up the file.  The worst case scenario is that you restore the backup and move on as you are now.

That being said, as you were notified above, the more likely cause of the error has nothing to do with file corruption.  Just wanted t make sure you have the complete picture.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
This discussion has been closed.