Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Manage Accounts and Transactions (Mac)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Locking a closed account to make it read-only

I don't think that Quicken for Mac has this feature. (Someone can tell me if it does.) I have a large list of hidden accounts that are "closed", meaning that they have zero balances, are hidden, and are disconnected from online services. But they're not locked. I'd like to see a feature where you can lock those accounts so that they become read-only, and function as true archives. That means that you can't change anything in the account unless you unlock it first.

Here's why. A few days ago, my wife was rummaging around in one of our hidden accounts from the 90's that's been closed for many years. She was looking for some old transactions for a report that she was compiling. In the course of looking up these transactions, she accidentally managed to delete two transactions in one of them. When I went back in to Quicken a few days later, an account that was closed for many years suddenly had a $ 11,000 balance in it. Of course, I didn't know that she'd been rooting around in there, and assumed that goblins were at work. After I talked to her and realized what had probably happened, It took a couple of hours of comparing that account with one from an old version of Quicken to track down the error and restore the transactions.

Point is, in a "closed" account 99.9% of the time you only want to reference that account, not make changes. So why not have a way to fully lock down theses account, so accidental mistakes are not made? Also, Quicken doesn't make it that easy to restore only one account from a backup, so this would make it less likely you'd have to navigate the Quicken backup and restore situation. Thoughts?
1 votes

New · Last Updated