Changes to Quicken-Chase Bill Pay Functionality Due to Quicken Bill Pay Termination?

Hello:

This is a long post.  The purpose of this post is to identify, with some specific detail, how I use Quicken and Chase Bill Pay (CBP) together and to confirm what I believe we have been told - that the termination of Quicken Bill Pay will not impact Quicken-Chase Bill Pay functionality in any way.  In summary, I use Quicken to remind me of payments due, and to plan and schedule those payments, as well as sending that information to my Chase checking account, where the actual bill payment takes place.

This post asks a few more specific questions, that I used to think about how the Quicken software interfaces with Chase.  The answers to those questions are intended to identify, with additional detail, what is functional today, 8/9/2020, with Quicken Version 27.42 Build 27.1.27.42, and CBP.  And, I believe, what is expected to continue to be functional as Quicken implements further modifications to terminate QBP, and as it continues to update the software to respond to various user needs, such as functionality still not offered by Quicken Bill Manager.  As we all know, the devil is in the details, which are the essence of these questions, hence the long post.  Please bear with me.

As most are aware, the currently functional Quicken Bill Pay, (QBP), by Metavante, and its Quicken – QBP communications will be terminated on 8/31/2020.  Thank you to Quicken for providing this information well in advance of the end of QBP.

For what it is worth (FWIW), I am using Quicken – Home, Business, & RP 2020, Version R27.42, Build 27.1.27.42 running on Windows Pro 10, version 1909, (10.0.18363), Build 18363.959.

In response to the demise of QBP, I migrated my online bill payment activities to my bank’s online bill payment system.  At this time, bill payments are working well, using Quicken and CBP, without any significant issues or problems.  There was an issue a few weeks ago, where all payment information transmittal to Chase failed, or was entered again and again, but it seems to have been corrected, at least for me.  Thank you to Quicken and/or Chase for fixing that problem.

Quicken has also stated that bill payments using bank bill pay systems, initiated through “Direct Connect” communications from Quicken, will continue to function without any changes on the part of the user.  In short, they will not be impacted by the termination of QBP.  However, I have seen little real detail confirming these Quicken statements, and little recent communication from Quicken confirming this is still correct.

There have been a significant number of posts in this forum addressing this subject and specific issues and their resolution, but again, I have not seen any recent general confirmations by Quicken that bank bill pay availability and functionality will not be affected by the termination of QBP.  Thank you to the expert users who have commented on this, including @sherlock, @Chris_QPW, and @ps56k.  Nonetheless, the silence from Quicken has prompted me to read what is out there, again, and to create this post.  My more specific details and questions follow:

1)      My online payees, (about 65), are listed in the “Tools/Online Payee list”, and I can add new payees, and edit or delete existing payees by going to that list.  The Financial Institution, (FI), shows up as “Chase”, as I would expect.

Questions:

a.       Will the Online Payee List continue to exist in its current form, and allow adding to, editing, and deletion of current payees, as can be done now?  Will these changes flow to Chase Bill Pay, as the payee is used, as they do now?

b.       Of the 65 or so online payees, I have recently paid some that had not been used for some time, (over a year), in Quicken, and were not in my Chase account bill payee listing.  Again, these new, (to Chase), payees flowed / were added to the Chase list of payees, from my Quicken “Online Payee List”, and payments followed without issue.  Will the online payee list in Quicken remain complete, and will I still be able to use such old existing payees in the Quicken “Online Payee” list, (now showing only Chase under the Financial institution box), that have not yet been used, with Chase Bill Pay?  In other words, will the payee information still flow to Chase and function properly, as they do now?  Or do I need to take some other action now so these as yet unused (with Chase Bill Pay) online payees are available in the future?

2)      My income/deposits and Bills/payments, are listed in the “Tools/Bill and Income Reminders” listing.  There are about 75 items in my listing ranging from every two weeks to every other year.  Some are automatically entered into the applicable account register/s, (typically repeating payments or deposits, for subscriptions or services received, or income, and initiated by the payee or income source, (no payment action required by me or Chase).  Those amounts and other details are adjusted, on the Bill and Income Reminders “edit” screen, for all future bills or deposits as needed, before automatic entry, or again as needed, in my Quicken Chase checking account register after they are automatically entered.  For manual entries, details are adjusted, as needed, on each deposit or bill payment item.  This is done either in the Bills and Income Reminders screen or in the checking account register after entry.  Adjustments can be made before a One Step Update (OSU) or an individual account update is performed, which sends the information to Chase.  Depending on the particular item, some updates can be made after that point, but some require canceling the payment and then issuing a new payment, depending on the change to the item.

Questions:  The above describes my bill payment process as it is now, before the August 31, 2020 QBP termination.  After QBP termination, will the Quicken – CBP system continue to:

a.       include the “Bill and Income Reminders” list, allowing the user to either automatically enter the amounts planned into the checking account or credit card account registers, or remind the user that a payment is due and allow the user to enter the amount and other details, all as Quicken does now?

b.       for those bills or payments to be paid with Chase Bill Pay, will the system continue to support the user scheduling payments, as they do now, and will Quicken continue to send the payment information to Chase for payment with Chase Bill Pay, as it does now?

Continued in the next post or so ...

Thanks for reading this far,

Thanks,
BobC
Quicken Subscription, Build 27.1.32.12,
Windows 10 ProVersion 20H2 OS build  19042.928

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭

Continued from prior post

3)      The above questions assume the flexibility that the user currently experiences with the existing version of Quicken and CBP, will continue to be provided by the combination.  Specifically, it currently supports scheduling essentially any online payments to any US payee, in Quicken, which then flows to CBP during the next “update”, for payment when requested, and for any/all of the amounts I have needed.  (Of course there are some limitations, such as amounts, which I have always been able to work around, sometimes using two payments or more over multiple days.  And payments must be entered early enough to allow for EFTs or mailing of paper checks when needed.  The Quicken-CBP system helps by alerting the user to the need to enter the transaction early enough, and reminding the user the amount will be deducted from their account when the check is cut or the EFT payment is sent).  As a result, I have been able to pay essentially all of my bills and unbilled obligations, using the old QBP system, and now the Quicken-CBP system.  Now, with CBP, I can pay not only pay amounts larger than those associated with current bills or current charges, for that provider, but also pay amounts when no payment is currently due.  And I can schedule and make multiple payments to a payee during a month, or in future months, or even on the same day.  All of these situations have worked for me as intended.  The combination of Quicken and CBP has provided me the desired flexibility to send payments to whoever I need to pay, whenever it is necessary and convenient for me to do so, and to add additional payments or modify current payments, to manage my cash flow and control my overall debt as I choose.

Question:  Will these transactions continue to flow to Chase as they do now, or will Chase Bill Payments through Quicken be further restricted, by Quicken, as those of Quicken’s new Quick Pay and/or Check Pay are now restricted?

4)      I can also enter payments directly into Chase Bill Pay, via my browser.  This provides a work around if there is an issue with the Quicken – CBP service communications, such as that suffered last December between Quicken and QBP (Metavante), or in July of this year between Quicken and Chase.  After direct entry into CBP and payment, such transactions are currently downloaded into Quicken when the payment clears.  At that time it can be matched with a manually entered transaction already entered into Quicken, (without an instruction to “send”), or simply accepted for automatic entry if the transaction was not previously entered separately into Quicken.  (I have done this, by entering the payment into Quicken, but instead of setting it to “Send”, I simply entered it as an “EFT” in Quicken at the same time I am directly entering it into Chase; it has worked fine).

Question:  Will this approach continue to work after the termination of QBP?  Of all my questions, this seems the most obvious – since it doesn’t rely on Quicken to do anything other than download results and incorporate them into the appropriate registers, it seems like it shouldn’t be affected by whatever Quicken does or does not do – however, it is still an important part of the whole, and thus worth considering.

5)      Question:  What other steps do I, as a user, need to take to preclude other issues or problems that might otherwise occur on August 31, 2020?

I have reviewed some of the hundreds, or perhaps thousands of questions and issues with Quicken’s Bill Manager as posted on this forum.  During this review, I came across several statements by Quicken employees, (for example, Quicken Kathryn) stating that “At that time, you will be automatically migrated to the new Quicken Bill Manager service and will begin to use the Quick Pay and/or Check Pay options.”  At that time refers to the termination date for QBP services.  What exactly does this mean?  What migration, beyond what we do ourselves, will take place?  Since I have already migrated all of my payments to Chase Bill Pay, will I need to do anything else, other than call Metavante to terminating my Quicken Bill Pay account?  I intend to do that shortly after 8/31/2020.  But what if I don’t?  Some have suggested that should be done a few days before 8/31/2020.  What else happens?

I would also appreciate suggestions on how to get these questions to those who are doing the development.  I would expect they already understand what the users who have migrated to CBP or other bank bill pay systems need and expect, and thus can make sure their ongoing changes do not infringe on those needs, as they continue to remove the Quicken Bill Pay interface and information, and work to upgrade the new Quicken Bill Manager.  However, as shown by the numerous problems identified during the changes and transitions over the last few years, such a review at this point, should be useful as a quality and process check for upcoming software updates, as the existing system is modified to remove the Quicken Bill Pay interfaces currently in the software, and to assure that this and future modifications do not infringe on the interfaces with currently functional bank bill pay systems.

Any and all comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    BobC
    Thanks,
    BobC
  • Thanks, Bob, for your post. In my ignorance, I have been using Quicken Bill Pay, unaware that I could have quicken send my transactions directly to my bank (also Chase). In transitioning to QuickPay/Checkpay, I have been disappointed with the responsiveness specifically of checkpay, and would like to try to send some transactions directly to Chase instead. I'll follow your post to see how you do over the next few months.
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Well, I'm glad all those words were of some use to someone!  I started out to use Bill Manager, and got it all set up, but then found the limitations were just too significant for it to work for me - many of the same things discussed throughout comments on this forum as needed improvements.  And, while there are a few things I don't like about bank bill pay, Chase in particular, I've found it to be really good in most respects, so far.  The question is, will it continue to work as it does time.  Only time will tell.

Thanks for your post.
    BobC
    Thanks,
    BobC
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long story short: there is no relationship whatsoever between Quicken's Bill Pay or Bill Manager or whatever they're calling it this week and your Chase bill payment via direct connect. The latter will be unaffected by the change.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the additional confirmation.

Can you tell us what the post by Quicken employees back in March or so means or refers to: “At that time, you will be automatically migrated to the new Quicken Bill Manager service and will begin to use the Quick Pay and/or Check Pay options” ?  "At that time" refers to the 5/31 QBP termination date, which of course, is now 8/31.  Will the "automatic migration" do anything to my 241 MB database, since, I think, all of my interfaces are now with Chase - or download only with other FIs - or is something I don't understand or even know about going to change?  I did setup Bill Manager and Quick Pay and Check Pay, but I have since removed all bills and Quick Pay and Check Pay payments in the Bill Manager interface, that I had set up at the time, because I didn't like the way it interfaced with my "Bills and Income Reminders" and my management of cash flow and outstanding balances.

Thanks again,
    BobC

Thanks,
    BobC
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    If Chase bill pay via Direct Connect was working, there was no reason to set up anything in Quicken Bill Manager. I pay bills through B of A via Direct Connect, which works perfectly, and wouldn't touch Bill Manager with a 10 foot pole. Hopefully, removing all bills from BM will leave you unscathed at transition time, but I can't say with certainty because you touched it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭
    BobC and Rocket, are you both stating that if I am using Wells Fargo Bill Pay via Direct Connect, that I can continue using Quicken as I have in the past with my existing Bill Pay settings. I am having nothing but trouble trying to set my software up for Quicken Bill Manager. Thanks for writing such detailed questions BobC. I like to choose the date and amount of when my payments are made and Bill Manager takes that away from me.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    BobC and Rocket, are you both stating that if I am using Wells Fargo Bill Pay via Direct Connect, that I can continue using Quicken as I have in the past with my existing Bill Pay settings.
    @Richard174, yes. If you have a working bill payment system with Quicken as your front end, connecting via Direct Connect to your bank as the back end, you already have the best possible bill payment setup. You neither need nor want Bill Manager. Simply pretend Bill Manager does not exist and continue using your existing setup.
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Richard174:
    @Rocket J Squirrel is the expert, I'm just a beginner - well not quite, I've been using Quicken since the mid 1990s, but he was well ahead of me.  I was using BofA in the early 90s, with a DOS Online Banking Program called Dollars and Sense.  Actually worked pretty well.  Years ahead of its time.  Well ahead of Quicken at the time.  Sadly, BofA didn't listen to its users, and switched to progressively worse programs, so I moved on to Wells Fargo, then Washington Mutual, who was gobbled up by Chase after the Mortgage mess in 2008...Kind of ironic. But I digress.  Regardless, Rocket's expertise is way beyond mine.  I agree with all of his comments.  A few things you could do to confirm your current setup is what we think it is, follow.  In my case, this assumes you are using a more or less current Quicken for Windows Premier or better, and running Windows 10 - I can't speak to other versions. 

Note that I believe Rocket J Squirrel is right, but since I tried to set up Bill Manager, then removed all my bills from it, there is some (small I hope) possibility that something will go wrong in my system as August 31st rolls around.  If I read your other post right, (about 3 chase credit cards), you have also tried to set up Bill Manager, so there may be some unexpected issues.  I hope not.

a)  Go to your Wells Fargo checking account register for the source account you are paying your bills with, and click on the gear at the upper right corner of the register - this should bring up a lengthy menu.  Select "Edit Account Details" and then the "Online Services" tab. Don't mess with anything here, just examine the information.  There should be two boxes, the first is "Online Setup".  It should have the Financial Institution: Wells Fargo or whatever it is identified as - mine says "Chase", since that is the checking account I use.  It should also have "Connection Method: Direct Connect".  The second Box is titled "Online bill payment".  It should list your Wells Fargo checking account in the same way you have it titled in the account register, with a statement similar to "Wells Fargo Checking (or whatever you call it), is set up for Online Bill Pay".  It should NOT say "Wells Fargo Checking (or whatever) is set up for Quicken Bill Pay".  A subtle but important difference.  There should be NO reference to Quicken Bill Pay, on this screen.

b)  Go to your account list and look for your Wells Fargo account you are using as the payment source account.  Again, don't mess with anything, just look at what is provided for the account.  Under the Transaction Download column it should say "Yes (Direct Connect)" and under the "Online Bill Pay" column it should say "Yes (Wells Fargo (or whatever the program calls your Wells Fargo account being used as the source for payments) Bill Pay)".  It should not say "Yes (Quicken Bill Pay)", for any account being used as a payment source account.

These are two views into the same data, which should be consistent, and confirm that you are not set up to use "Quicken Bill Pay" (in which case, you would need to transition to something else before 8/31/2020).  Assuming we all understand this consistently, you are in a good position if you stay with your bank bill pay, I think.

Hope this helps your comfort with your current set up.
    BobC

Thanks,
    BobC
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭
    I accidently exited before posting so I have to re-enter my response. I believe I should be all setup to use Wells Fargo Bill Pay (See the attached image). If you see any problems, please let me know. I've been a quicken user since before 1996. My first entry in my current file is January 1, 1996, but I was using it before that. I actually wrote my own check book program in the 80's, but I was intimidated with the effort to add features to it, so I switched to Quicken. Thanks for your detailed information.
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Richard174:

You are welcome.  I hate it when I do that (have to retype stuff).  I try to remember to always click on "Save Draft" when I move to another view, which the forum didn't have when I started.  But I still forget now and then.  ARGHH.... 

What you posted above looks essentially identical to mine, except mine says Chase where yours says Wells Fargo.  FrankX made a good point in his post on the 3 Chase Card's thread - Wells Fargo does charge, at least as far as I know.  They may waive charges for that feature if you have a high minimum balance or something like that - I have no idea.  Chase charges if you have a business checking account, but not if you have only a personal checking account.  Go figure.  Your mileage may vary.

Thanks
    BobC
    Thanks,
    BobC
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭
    I've been away for the last 4 days. I have high enough balances that I qualify for free Bill Pay at Wells Fargo. I will be doing additional testing over the next few days. Thanks for all your information so far.
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭
    This question is resolved for me. Quicken Bill Pay required only one entry under the sync function to download all 3 Chase accounts. Bill Manager requires all 3 accounts to be in the Bills list in order to download all 3 accounts. Thanks for your help BobC and RocketJ.