Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QuickPay Limitations

QuickPay is going to be limited to 12 Quick Pay payments and 3 Check Pay payments per month. Previously there was no advertised limit (you could pay for additional transactions). Am I the only user who finds this problematic? I am a power-user, and need at least 20 payments. They claim they are going to add more in the future, but no date has been given. In the meantime, I need to continue to pay my bills. That means I will pay them by paper check, through my bank, or through a competing service. Even if they offer more transactions a month or two later, I'm not going to want to go through the effort of switching back to Quicken. They should increase the number of transactions until they add the ability to purchase more.
Many of the SuperUsers on Quicken.com are bullies!

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Accepted Answer
    James118 said:
    You are the exact reason I don't like to post on the Quicken Forums. With how quickly you replied, one might think you are a bot or a person paid to shut down user complaints. In any event, I already commented in my original post that selecting a competing service is an option. And we can agree to disagree on the issue of less functionality. When I am able to make 25+ payments before the update, and I can only make 15 payments after the update, it is less functionality.

Quicken should be made aware of the issues they are creating for their users. Quicken's problem should not become my problem, or any other user's problem, for that matter. When they created their new agreement, they should have taken into account how it will affect their users.
    If you were using Quicken Bill Pay (which you have not actually stated), you should understand Metavante Payment Services Inc. announced they would terminating their service almost six months ago.  You have had lots of time to find an alternative to Quicken Bill Pay.

The monthly payment limitations of the new functionality provided by Quick Pay and Check Pay were also published almost six months ago.  You have had lots of time to find an alternative to Quick Pay and Check Pay.

Also, this forum is not the best way to let Quicken know of the issues they are creating for their users.  I suggest contacting Quicken Support with complaints: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

This forum is primarily used to help inform and educate users - not Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    James118 said:
    I thought it was implied based on my post, but yes, I am using Quicken Bill Pay. I have also been using Quicken since the mid-80's when it was running on DOS. So while I don't troll other users on here, I am quite familiar with the product, and the situation with Metavante (which long-term will likely be a good thing).

Quicken is a one-stop-shop financial solution. Losing the ability to pay bills greatly reduces its value to me. Quicken has stated they intend to offer more transactions, so I was hopeful that would come before the transition. There is no benefit for me to switch over now, in the off chance they roll this feature out prior to the cut-off. Once I find an alternative, there is no need for me to use Quicken any more.

I have already submitted a request to support and spoke to a support representative (he is actually the one who suggested that I post on this forum). I am not the first person to write about this issue. I also know QuickPay lacked the ability to post-date payments, which is another reduction in features, but I thought I read somewhere that problem has since been addressed.
    Again, we have not lost ability to pay bills from within Quicken - only the Quicken Bill Pay service.  If you don't want to use one of the more than 500 financial institutions that still provides online bill payment from within Quicken or the limited Quick Pay and  Check Pay functionality, then don't.  If you find an alternative and no longer need to use Quicken, then don't use Quicken.  

Quicken is not a one-stop-shop financial solution. Quicken is a personal finance management tool.  In my opinion, Quicken's primary benefit is the aggregation of account information from multiple financial institutions.

Some limited ability to schedule Quick Pay and Check Pay payments was introduced recently.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    If you require more than the monthly limit of payments supported by Quick Pay and Check Pay, I suggest you use another payment service.   If you want to issue online payments from within Quicken, I suggest you consider using one of the more than 500 financial institutions that support online bill payment using the Direct Connect connection method.  Otherwise, I suggest you consider most online billers may be set to automatically charge a credit card or withdraw from a checking account.  If you still need more payments, I suggest you use a free bill pay service provided by a financial institution to issue the credit card payments and any remaining bill payments.
  • James118
    James118 Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 2020
    That reply is of absolutely no help, and I already saw it on another post. Quicken should not roll out a product with less functionality than it's current offering.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    James118 said:
    That reply is of absolutely no help, and I already saw it on another post. Quicken should not roll out a product with less functionality than it's current offering.
    The reply certainly does help users who want to be able to issue more payments than are currently allowed by Quick Pay and Check Pay.  

Quicken did not roll out a product with less functionality.  The Quicken Bill Pay provider decided to terminate their service.  There are still over 500 financial institutions that continue to provide the equivalent Online Payee style online bill payment service provided by Quicken Bill Pay.  

Quick Pay
     and Check Pay are new services and do not provide the equivalent functionality.  Quick Pay allows users to pay Online Bills to Online Billers.  Check Pay allows users to send checks to anyone in the US.   Some number of Quicken Bill Pay users may be satisfied with the limited Quick Pay and Check Pay functionality.  Others will not.

Note: Any increase to the monthly payment limits for Quick Pay and Check Pay will require a modification to the agreement with the new third-party service payment provider.
  • James118
    edited August 2020
    [removed-unhelpful/off-topic]  In any event, I already commented in my original post that selecting a competing service is an option. And we can agree to disagree on the issue of less functionality. When I am able to make 25+ payments before the update, and I can only make 15 payments after the update, it is less functionality.

Quicken should be made aware of the issues they are creating for their users. Quicken's problem should not become my problem, or any other user's problem, for that matter. When they created their new agreement, they should have taken into account how it will affect their users.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    James118 said:
    You are the exact reason I don't like to post on the Quicken Forums. With how quickly you replied, one might think you are a bot or a person paid to shut down user complaints. In any event, I already commented in my original post that selecting a competing service is an option. And we can agree to disagree on the issue of less functionality. When I am able to make 25+ payments before the update, and I can only make 15 payments after the update, it is less functionality.

If you were using Quicken Bill Pay (which you have not actually stated), you should understand Metavante Payment Services Inc. announced they would terminating their service almost six months ago.  You have had lots of time to find an alternative to Quicken Bill Pay.

The monthly payment limitations of the new functionality provided by Quick Pay and Check Pay were also published almost six months ago.  You have had lots of time to find an alternative to Quick Pay and Check Pay.

Also, this forum is not the best way to let Quicken know of the issues they are creating for their users.  I suggest contacting Quicken Support with complaints: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

This forum is primarily used to help inform and educate users - not Quicken.
  • James118
    I thought it was implied based on my post, but yes, I am using Quicken Bill Pay. I have also been using Quicken since the mid-80's when it was running on DOS. So while I don't troll other users on here, I am quite familiar with the product, and the situation with Metavante (which long-term will likely be a good thing).

Quicken is a one-stop-shop financial solution. Losing the ability to pay bills greatly reduces its value to me. Quicken has stated they intend to offer more transactions, so I was hopeful that would come before the transition. There is no benefit for me to switch over now, in the off chance they roll this feature out prior to the cut-off. Once I find an alternative, there is no need for me to use Quicken any more.

I have already submitted a request to support and spoke to a support representative (he is actually the one who suggested that I post on this forum). I am not the first person to write about this issue. I also know QuickPay lacked the ability to post-date payments, which is another reduction in features, but I thought I read somewhere that problem has since been addressed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    James118 said:

Again, we have not lost ability to pay bills from within Quicken - only the Quicken Bill Pay service.  If you don't want to use one of the more than 500 financial institutions that still provides online bill payment from within Quicken or the limited Quick Pay and  Check Pay functionality, then don't.  If you find an alternative and no longer need to use Quicken, then don't use Quicken.  

Quicken is not a one-stop-shop financial solution. Quicken is a personal finance management tool.  In my opinion, Quicken's primary benefit is the aggregation of account information from multiple financial institutions.

Some limited ability to schedule Quick Pay and Check Pay payments was introduced recently.
  • James118
    edited August 2020
    In a sense, Quicken has lost the ability to pay bills. We used to be able to make a total of 30 payments, with the option to purchase more. Now it has been reduced to 15 payments--it's been cut in half! If Quicken dropped it to 1 payment would you still say we haven't lost the ability to pay bills?! I'm exactly the type of customer they should be marketing to, and they're forcing me to go in another direction.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Metavante, which was the vendor of Quicken BillPay, discontinued that service ... not Quicken.
    Because of that decision, a user of QBP has a couple of options:
    1. Switch to the product offerings of the new vendor
    2. Use a bill payment service provided by a bank (which might entail switching banks)
    3. Stop paying bills electronically from within Quicken.
    Complaining, while technically an option, won't change anything.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • indest
    indest Member ✭✭
    With quickpay, I have one american express login, which includes three different accounts/cards. Quickpay cannot seem to differentiate among the three. They each require payments on different dates, with different amounts obviously. Suggestions?
  • James118
    edited August 2020
    Are there three bills under the Bills & Income tab and are they showing the correct balances?
  • indest
    indest Member ✭✭
    > @James118 said:
    > Are there three bills under the Bills & Income tab and are they showing the correct balances?

No, only one card, the main card, is showing up on the bills, income & transfers tab. That is the problem as I have only one set of login credentials for Amex, for all three accounts/cards.
  • James118
    It should not be a problem having one login for multiple cards. If you are only seeing the one bill, that is likely what is causing your problem. Try to fix that first.

To add additional cards from the Bills & Income tab (Bills sub-tab), click on the + sign at the top right, select Online Bill, select American Express, enter your User ID and Password, and from there it should prompt all of your American Express accounts which you can select and add. After the accounts are added and showing the correct balances, try to pay a bill with QuickPay.
  • indest
    indest Member ✭✭
    > @James118 said:
    > It should not be a problem having one login for multiple cards. If you are only seeing the one bill, that is likely what is causing your problem. Try to fix that first.
    >
    > To add additional cards from the Bills & Income tab (Bills sub-tab), click on the + sign at the top right, select Online Bill, select American Express, enter your User ID and Password, and from there it should prompt all of your American Express accounts which you can select and add. After the accounts are added and showing the correct balances, try to pay a bill with QuickPay.

Thanks. I deleted all of the accounts I had set up incorrectly and started over, and it worked. Then I linked each one to a reminder where I could choose Check Pay and could put in a name more specific than just "American Express" for the payee of each one....so I could tell it apart. THANKS!

Do you happen to know if the $10K limit per check still applies? (Like Bill Pay)?
  • Mike in NJ
    Mike in NJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The new Quicken Bill Manager change over is a mess. Wasted 2 hours yesterday going over changes and speaking with Quicken Support and am very, very disappointed with (1) absolute monthly limits on number of Quick Pay and Check Pay payments with no option to purchase/obtain/make additional payments (2) loss of ability to access Quicken Bill Pay system via web with iPad along with software solution and being forced to only access new Bill Manager with software based computer. Have been using Quicken Premier system for over 20 years and am a retired CPA/Financial Advisor - Very annoyed with the limitations and difficulty I am learning I will have to go through to change over to the this awful "new" system. Quicken needs to delay switchover for additional 6 months allowing loyal users more opportunity to switch over. Also found the Quicken Support people unhelpful and unable to clearly explain new system and changeover. Need ability to add additional Quick Pay and Check Pay payments. Need web access to Bill Manager via iPad, too. Everything Quicken's new "system" is doing is combined a huge step backward. Very, very discouraged.
  • Mike in NJ
    Mike in NJ Member ✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > Again, we have not lost ability to pay bills from within Quicken - only the Quicken Bill Pay service.  If you don't want to use one of the more than 500 financial institutions that still provides online bill payment from within Quicken or the limited Quick Pay and  Check Pay functionality, then don't.  If you find an alternative and no longer need to use Quicken, then don't use Quicken.  
    >
    > Quicken is not a one-stop-shop financial solution. Quicken is a personal finance management tool.  In my opinion, Quicken's primary benefit is the aggregation of account information from multiple financial institutions.
    >
    > Some limited ability to schedule Quick Pay and Check Pay payments was introduced recently.

The problem with using the financial institution's bill payment system along with Quicken is that one is tied to the financial institution and changing to another bank will require recreating all the payee info again. Having used Quicken Premier for decades it's benefit is that you could switch financial institutions/banks easily and transmit electronic payments and hard copy checks easily. It seems to me all this is being taken away/out of the Quicken system. Limits on number of monthly payments is a huge negative. An additional fee would be the solution not an absolute limit on payments. That's insane. My wife in Florida could make her Bill Pay payments using her iPad. This would all feed into my Quicken software. The new system will not allow one to access the Quicken Bill Manager via an iPad! This alone is putting us back by a decade - a huge step backward.
  • Mike in NJ
    Mike in NJ Member ✭✭✭
    > @James118 said:
    > QuickPay is going to be limited to 12 Quick Pay payments and 3 Check Pay payments per month. Previously there was no advertised limit (you could pay for additional transactions). Am I the only user who finds this problematic? I am a power-user, and need at least 20 payments. They claim they are going to add more in the future, but no date has been given. In the meantime, I need to continue to pay my bills. That means I will pay them by paper check, through my bank, or through a competing service. Even if they offer more transactions a month or two later, I'm not going to want to go through the effort of switching back to Quicken. They should increase the number of transactions until they add the ability to purchase more.

Agreee 100% .... a 20+ Quicken Premier user, retired CPA.
  • James118
    Indest, glad it worked! Bill presentment is greatly improved since when Intuit owned it, but it still has issues. Great question about the $10K limit, haven't tested that yet. Please update us if you find out.
  • Mike in NJ
    Mike in NJ Member ✭✭✭
    > @indest said:
    > With quickpay, I have one american express login, which includes three different accounts/cards. Quickpay cannot seem to differentiate among the three. They each require payments on different dates, with different amounts obviously. Suggestions?

Big issue, too. Have 3 credit cards with one bank. Not sure how I'll be able to make separate payments.
  • James118
    edited August 2020
    Mike in NJ, I completely agree with you. Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees it as a step back. I didn't realize the web app was not going to be replaced. There's another value-added component going away.

[removed - off-topic/unhelpful]  

I've been having lots of issues with bill present and payment since the last update that started popping up a dialog box that support for Quicken Bill Pay will end on 8/31/2020. Make backups daily--I had to restore from mine.
  • James118
    edited August 2020
    Mike in NJ, it sounds like Indest was able to make separate payments on three cards with one bank, so at least we might still have that. LOL
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with using the financial institution's bill payment system along with Quicken is that one is tied to the financial institution and changing to another bank will require recreating all the payee info again. 
    This is not an accurate statement.  Once you have used Quicken to make payments through one bank (by actually setting up the payee information within Quicken) that information can be used to transmit payments through another bank as well.  You will not need to recreate that payee information again in Quicken.

Frankx 

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
This discussion has been closed.