Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

How to make a PayPal transaction a reminder?

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. I use PayPal say 5-6 times a month, and the transactions drop into my checking account. One of those transactions I make once a month is a charitable donation, it is recurring - automatically generated each month on the charity's web site. I am trying to figure out how to make just a simple reminder that will show up in my "Bills & Income" page. My concern is, every PayPal transaction I do comes down as "PayPal Inst Xfer", and the memo field has more particulars like a reference to the company, etc. If I just create a reminder on the Payee name, "PayPal Inst Xfer",on say the 6th of the month, won't it get messed up with other PayPal transactions coming down throughout the month that also have payee "Paypal Instant Xfer"?
Thanks!

Comments

• Quicken HughQuicken Hugh Moderator, Employee mod
    edited August 11
    @Don Awalt Thanks for posting your question about creating a Bill Reminder.
    As I understand your question, there are two parts to your concern:

1) Looking in your checking account register, the One Step Update will download ~5-6 PayPal transactions per month, one of which is your charitable donation made via PayPal. The memo field of contains the details of each PayPal transaction. 
    As described, your existing set-up should work.

2) How to create a Reminder in the Bills & Income tab? With the recent introduction of the Quicken Bill Manager, the pathway has changed a little bit, but the goal remains the same. You can absolutely add a Bill Reminder to the Bills & Income tab within Quicken. This should not in any way conflict with your checking account OSU of your PayPal transactions.

A ) From the Bills & Income tab, Bills secondary tab, make sure you've selected All bills from the tertiary tab. On the right-hand side of the your screen, click on the "+" symbol; select Manual Bill from the drop down menu.

B ) In the Add Bill Reminder pop-up box, fill in the Pay to field (PayPal Charitable Donation, in this example). Click Next.

C ) In the next pop-up box, fill in the details of your  Bill Reminder (Due next on, Amount due, From account, and Optional Settings, if needed). Click Done.

D ) Under the Bills & Income tab, you should now have a Bill Reminder that looks similar to this:

NOTE: Bill Reminders show up with a light blue logo on the left-hand side of your screen.

• Don AwaltDon Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Quicken Hugh, I have done a lot of reminders. My concern is, how does it know that 1 of say 6 PayPal transactions per month is the reminder-based transaction? If a PayPal transaction comes in a week earlier, with the same Payee, won't it consider by charitable transaction-reminder paid early and delete it from my Reminders list for this month?
  • Quicken HughQuicken Hugh Moderator, Employee mod
    edited August 11
    @Don Awalt
    Please make sure the Category (and perhaps the Tag too) for the charitable donation is set. In this manner, Quicken should be able to differentiate the charitable donation from the other PayPal payments.
  • Don AwaltDon Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Quicken Hugh - so this is new to me, is this how it would work?

1. A charitable Paypal transaction comes down.
    2. I accept it
    3. I edit it to change the Category and Add a unique Tag to it, enter to access the changes
    4. At that point Quicken knows this is the "Charitable Reminder" to match if I have set up the reminder with the same Category and Tag. If not, it does not match the PayPal transaction to the Reminder.

??? Thanks!
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Don Awalt

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the information available in this support article.

Specifically, the section, "How Does Quicken Determine Match or New."

Also, if this discussion is all preemptive to setting up the reminder and downloading and matching-- I would move forward with this process to see what issues arise to then circle back and address any matching issues should they occur.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    Happy Harvest! Gobble! Gobble!
This discussion has been closed.