Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bill Mgr: Who else thinks it's disastrous to enter our online account passwords as acct Number

In the new Bill Manager, how about entering the real account number as an account ID! What a creative thought. Everyone else does. The old Bill pay does. Who came up with using our own personal passwords? If I want all crooks to know my passwords, then I will publish them in the newspaper or I could put them in FB or in YouTube. Has anyone heard of theft? Quicken's data could get stolen and you could get sued. Think people think. Covid is not the only topic to ponder.

Comments

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @smjihm
    Thank you for posting about your concern. Let's see if we might be able to help you better understand the security protocols which are built into all Quicken products, and the new Quicken Bill Manager. To help put your mind at ease, you might wish to review the Privacy Highlights and Secure Login information.

"In the new Bill Manager, how about entering the real account number as an account ID![?]" 
    Although it is not entirely clear from your phrasing, it seems as though you are asking about the set-up protocols when adding an Online Biller in Quicken Bill Manager.

If
    your Online Biller has set up their online systems to allow using "the real account number", Quicken Bill Manager can accommodate this formatting. Not all Online Billers will accept "the real account number" as part of their sign-in process when creating a link between your local computer, via the QBM, and the Biller's Online bill payment platform. Many Online Billers will require you to enter your log-in, and password, and maybe also MFA, when logging into their systems.

"Who came up with using our own personal passwords?" 
    This question is a bit unclear - which personal password are you referring to?
    A Quicken ID password, a data file password, a Password Vault password, Secure Login / MFA and/or an Online Biller's website required log-in and password?

Each of the security protocols serve a specific purpose, while also serving the over-all goal of trying to help you keep your information secure.
  • smj
    smj Member
    I doubt any company "X" wants their clients to use carefully guarded passwords as a login for Quicken payments. This could generate many problems both for Quicken and for company "X".

1) Consider: passwords are not unique. Account IDs are unique.

Lots of people might think that CANCUN123 is a nice password because they went on vacation there. So, it becomes “their” password and other people’s password as well. Whose account exactly will get credited with "my" money? The account ID is unique because company "X" probably spent a great deal of time and effort to generate unique account numbers.

I don't want some random person getting credited with my payment. This is very bad.

2) Also, sending my password for company "X" around the internet sounds very unsafe. Anyone and his brother could get a hold of it and logon to my account in company "X". You might say, "oh they don't have the userID, just the password. Well, "just the password" is probably enough. People often repeat the UserID.

I say, get rid of this option. We will all lose money, and I hate to be blunt, but Quicken-Intuit is going to end up sued. Only use the account ID.

Honest, I was a software Engineer and worked in banking applications, credit card applications and software, including security software. I am not charging for my heart-felt advice.
  • Hello @smj,

Thank you for providing this additional insight and feedback!

You may consider creating an Idea post, outlining these your specific product enhancement request. Our developer's review Idea posts to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

More information and steps to do so are available here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.