Home Before you Buy

What past/older version of Quicken will act as a stand alone

I've been using Quicken since the MS DOS floppy disc days. I'm one of "those people" who rushed to buy the newest, latest, greatest version. I still have the disks for Quicken Premier 2012; 2014; and 2017. Does anyone know if one of these will work as a good ol' fashion stand alone copy of Quicken?

At some point, Quicken became an annual 'subscription' (the current arrangement). I not knocking it, or complaining. But.., it simply doesn't work the way I need it to work. I'll probably not renew my subscription. If I choose not to renew my subscription I will lose the ability to download transactions. It will also flash the renew subscription banner.

In the past, a person bought Quicken it became a "stand alone" desktop program. Overtime, (I don't remember which version) I was able to automatically download (via .qfx) transactions. I opted to paid for Quicken Bill Pay. Payments were always on time, yadda, yadda, yadda; life was good. I was very happy with the way things worked. It met my needs. I need to go back the old way. Please help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't completely understand your question. Quicken Subscription is still a "stand alone" desktop program though there are online options (Quicken Mobile, Quicken on the Web). You can use Quicken 2017 and open your current Quicken data file though you'll have no online services including Quicken Bill Pay (which is being replaced by Quicken Bill Manager).
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You can use any version as a stand alone.  So are you on Q2017 now?  Stick with it. After 2017 it became a Subscription.  See this page for ongoing access to your data if you do not renew the subscription.  You can still enter new transactions manually, except for the Starter Edition which becomes read only and is limited.  

If you don't renew a subscription about 25% of your screen will be taken up with a reminder to renew.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee 
  • Ricardo5000Ricardo5000 Member ✭✭
    I'm currently using the latest greatest subscription version for windows 10. Everything is up to date. I'm wanting to revert back to last version prior to the subscription conversion. (Probably ituit's last version).
    Intuit hasn't owned Quicken in at least 3 years.
    Is Quicken Bill Pay going away or can I still access it and pay to use it. I know the current subscription version will no longer offer it free. I guess what I trying to ask is, what's going to happen if I don't renew my subscription; I delete Quicken R8 10 from my machine (keeping a local copy my data file). I will then install Quicken Premier 2012, 2014, or 2017.

What can go wrong?
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-move-quicken-bill-pay-quicken-bill-manager

I don't know what "Quicken R8 10" means. Only Quicken 2016 and later will open your current data file. Unless you're starting over, 2012 and 2014 are useless.
    OK, Greg_the_Geek, I think you we're close. R8,10 is the most current version - which I'm currently subscribed to. Yes, I know Ituit no longer owns Quicken. I'm wanting to reload an older version (preferably a version produced by Intuit).

So..., if I understand what you are saying, my old 2017 version will open my current data file. Is 2017 still tied to the current subscription? Will I still get that annoying renew banner?
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

If you do install an older version, One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html 

This discussion has been closed.