What is happening with the slow OSU issue?

Thomas Wilson
Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭
I'm still experiencing the problem and the discussion (7875301) was closed in early July.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875301/osu-taking-too-long/p4

(Edited-Added Thread for Reference)

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Thomas Wilson,

Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you are still needing assistance, please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭
    Quicken 2020 Quicken Premier R27.42
    Windows 10 Home 64-Bit version 2004 Build 19041.388
    Connecting through U-Verse

This issue seemed to have been thoroughly discussed in thread 7875301, with what appeared to be a promising solution, and then...
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Thomas Wilson

Thank you for the response and for the additional details.

If you haven't done so already, I would start by installing the recent update available here.

Please let me know if this improves the performance of OSU.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭
    Downloaded the mondo patch & updated to R28.16.
    Much improved time; OSU took 4 minutes to complete, where since April it had been taking 10-15 minutes.
    A few observations:
    - The screen still went to black, but only for a few seconds.
    - The direct connect accounts completed significantly more quickly than the WC accounts
    - I didn't have any new transactions on this update, so I can't test whether the transaction acceptance time has also improved; I'll let you know how that goes.

So far, so good; thanks!
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Any chance of getting an answer on what the typical time should be for downloading QCS EWC accounts?  Is it FI or account dependent?  #'s of either of those?
    In theory, the nominal situation would be to download a data set that had been aggregated overnight so it really should not take much longer than a single direct connect download.
    Currently, OSU for QCS EWC is as slow as it ever was compared to Direct Connect.
    Direct Connect- 7 FIs, 15 accounts, 30 seconds to complete OSU.
    EWC- 4 FIs, 8 accounts, 77 seconds to complete OSU.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

@markus1957

It is very evident that the description of what Express Web Connect does is incomplete/wrong, and as such trying to guess at what part of the process is taking so long, is just that a guess. 

The posted description of how Express Web Connect works is at best what it was like when it was first created.  It clearly does not describe how it worked before the latest changes, and it is even more "different" now after the changeover to using the QCS for the connection method. 

From that description what is supposed to happen is that the Intuit servers once a night get the transactions and cache them on their server for Quicken to pick them up. 

And some of the behavior seen seemed to back that up.  As in Intuit servers logging into accounts nightly, and transactions being delayed up to a day depending of when the log in by the Intuit server happened and when the transactions were made available, and when the user requested them with One Step Update. 

And the logging in is clearly still happening as reported by people that notice the logins at night from the Intuit servers. 

But from the first time I ever used Express Web Connect the system never behaved the way that description describes.

If the data were cached on the Intuit server then one would expect the logging in and retrieving from the Intuit server to be very fast and very consistent on how long it takes.  But it has always been noted that some financial institutions take longer than others.  That should not be possible if the description of the process is accurate. 

What's more it is very clear that over time Express Web Connect has been extended to be more "real time".  At times I have had transactions post on PayPal and then done a One Step Update within a few minutes and get those transactions, and others have reported similar behavior with some of their financial institutions.

It definitely seems financial institution dependent.  But note lately I noticed that PayPal is not "real time" anymore.  I do not know if that is just PayPal or for all such financial institutions.

It might just be for PayPal, recently there were problems for some people downloading from PayPal and they might have changed how it works. 

It is my guess that part of the process was always to log into the financial institution's website, whether they got the transactions or not, as some kind of security check.

In fact, the newest description of QCS says that they have dropped this step and no longer need the password in the Password Vault, and it was done only as a security check. 

But in fact, this still doesn't explain the current behavior. 

I have a couple accounts with Synchrony Bank that can take up to 2 minutes to update, and my PayPal account can take up to 1 minute, and my Macy's Credit Card account is about 30 seconds "on the first try of the day".

Given the above behavior I would guess most of the time differences is due how long it takes to log into a given financial institution's website and retrieve the transactions.

After the first update, all of these take about 10 to 12 seconds to update.  And note that in both cases all the Express Web Connect accounts are being updated in parallel.

So, QCS is clearly doing some kind of caching.  It seems that the system currently isn't that it gets what was cached by the Intuit's daily login, but instead it caches the first login that the user started. 

With the old FDS system I never included Synchrony Bank in my One Step Update because it always seemed to take about 2 minutes (no real caching). 

And then we add in QCS.  QCS is clearly doing some kind of caching.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Thomas Wilson
    Thomas Wilson Member ✭✭
    > @Thomas Wilson said:
    > Downloaded the mondo patch & updated to R28.16.
    > Much improved time; OSU took 4 minutes to complete, where since April it had been taking 10-15 minutes.
    > A few observations:
    > - The screen still went to black, but only for a few seconds.
    > - The direct connect accounts completed significantly more quickly than the WC accounts
    > - I didn't have any new transactions on this update, so I can't test whether the transaction acceptance time has also improved; I'll let you know how that goes.
    >
    > So far, so good; thanks!

After about a week, it's clear that, while OSU speed is greatly improved, there is still an issue with accepting transactions and reconciling accounts. What used to be almost instantaneous prior to April now takes several seconds.
    This problem began when the OSU problem did. So far, I have only been able to observe this on EWC accounts, not having had any transactions on any of my DC accounts in the last week.
This discussion has been closed.