Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Scheduling a Quick Pay or Check Pay for a future date?

I see that there have been several threads on this, all now closed. One has a comments about a new release coming to address this. That was back in June. It is now 2 months later. I CANNOT schedule a Quick Pay for any date except today. This is a show stopper for me and a giant step backwards. Reading the forums here it seems this new Quick Pay service is just not mature. Perhaps someone from Quicken can let us know:

1) The known bugs & deficiencies relative to the old Bill Pay (which worked fine)
2) The actual plan for what will be fixed & when as well as what will NOT be fixed.

Then I can make an informed decision as to switching to another tool. Being forced into a subscription and constant upgrades which do nothing but make it slower and buggier pushed be close to the edge. I am just about done ...

Best Answers

Answers

• Gordon Everest
    Gordon Everest Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I was able to schedule a Quick Pay for a future date.  Under the "Bills & Income" tab, under the LAST PAYMENT column, it is shown as "Scheduled (Quick Pay)" along with the future date and amount.  It shows up in your bank account register with "scheduled" in the Check# column, and the date shown is the chosen future date.  Play with the options in the drop down menu under the ACTIONS column.
    [Quicken (for DOS) user since 1991, beta tester, and Intuit Accounting Partner]
    Quicken user since 1991 (first Windows 3.2 version), Beta tester, accounting partner.
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    So quick correction - it works for Amex. Does NOT work for Chase or for AT&T. In both cases the dialog box that insists on popping up every time I try to enter a Quick Pay in my register ignores whatever date I put in the register says next to the date in the dialog that the payment must be scheduled <today's date> or earlier (??). My Quicken version is up to date. I just don't understand.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Have the billers updated to show a current amount due?  Assume you've seen this:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878391/scheduled-quick-pay-issue

I do not currently have any bills due and am seeing similar payment scheduling issues for most of my billers.  Several will allow some advance scheduling (up to about a week) but a couple won't allow any at all.  I have two from BofA one I can only schedule immediately and the other I could schedule for up to early September. I don't understand where these dates are coming from.  It may have have something to do with the billing cycle, the next closing date and the billers payment system.

EDIT: I did a quick comparison and it appears that the advance scheduling permitted date is related to the next closing date of the account.  Mine generally seem to be 2-3 days after the next closing date. The BofA with a date next month just closed Tuesday.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    Bottom line is that for the past 10+ years we could pop open Quicken checking register and in a few key strokes schedule a payment to whoever we wanted scheduled for whenever we wanted. Now there seem to be rules up on rules about who you can decide to pay and when. On top of which the entire user interface is so unbelievably clunky and inefficient.

I've been using Quicken since 1992 and this is by far the biggest step backwards I've ever seen. Is there a forum discussion on alternatives? Bugs, bloat and complexity like this generally signal the beginning of the end.
  • edddddddd
    edddddddd Member ✭✭
    Ed13,
    Are the dates you have been trying to schedule beyond 9/1? I had the same problem you are describing with three of my credit cards until on the third one I tried scheduling the payment date for 8/31. With that third credit card it allowed me to schedule any date through 8/31. When I tried to schedule the payment for anything beyond 8/31 I got the error message you describe saying the payment had to be paid today or earlier. Me thinks there is a bug.
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    After playing around with this some more my conclusion is that I cannot schedule a payment in the future unless there is an actual amount showing due in the Bills & Income tab. Which is really annoying since I often schedule partial payments (e.g. expense reimbursements) for the day after I expect to be paid but in advance of the credit card closing date. I have not tried scheduling anything beyond 8/31 so you indeed may have stumbled upon another arbitrary limitation or bug. I simply don't understand why on earth they had to complicate this. Used to be so simple...
  • edddddddd
    edddddddd Member ✭✭
    Agreed that it used to be much simpler. Hopefully they will eventually make it all work.
  • Ed13
    Ed13 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, not sure but I think you just said "don't use Quicken Bill Pay". I was rather hoping the folks at Quicken might actually get a sense of the user frustration and fix the problems.
  • I have 3 different chase credit cards. Bill manager names them with the last 4 digits. Fine I got that, but when it goes into the register they are all named "Chase" and that is going to cause a little confusion. I would rename them until this is fixed but I am concerned that might bork the payments.
    Also there is a vast difference between pay and quick pay which is not explained by the interface. Had to delete a few payments until I figured it out.
This discussion has been closed.