Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Every Time Quicken is launched, always prompted for userid/password

This problem was originally included in a different posting (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20111468) that was meant to address a different issue. I am creating this new posting to keep the issues separate.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

When Quicken is first launched (and the password for my wife's QDF file is requested), if the file password is not entered quickly enough, the Quicken 'background' window prompts the user to enter the Quicken ID and password.
* If the file password is entered, the background screen will eventually change to the normal QDF file contents.
* If I cancel the data file password window, and enter the Quicken userid and password, Quicken prompts me (again) for the Quicken userid/password. When I enter the same userid/password, Quicken says that she has an active subscription, and prompts her to "continue to download and install the product".

I created a new (empty, except for a cash account) Quicken data file, and put a password on it. When Quicken starts up using this new QDF file, the same thing happens above.

I have uninstalled / reinstalled Quicken, doesn't change a thing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Boatmaniac was kind enough to provide the following suggestion:

Your issue sounds like something that sometimes happens when a program update is performed. You might want to try Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user. After you've signed out you will be prompted to enter your Quicken ID and PW...enter the very same ID and PW that you normally use. This should refresh the link between your Cloud Account and data file and should no longer be an issue.

Unfortunately, that suggestion did not work.

Best Answer

Answers

• Rick9Rick9 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, BK - you are correct. The above post is the same situation we are facing. It's more of a nuisance than anything - even if it appears, once the file password is entered, the "login" screen eventually disappears and things look as normal. I guess we just need to live with it.
  • bmarcouxbmarcoux Member
    I have the same issue. I also have an issue with the application once I enter my password. It just hangs and then I have to close the window multiple times, go into the application and then select renew. It then recognizes that I'm paid up and then lets me use the application. This is getting to be REALLY annoying.
  • BKBK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    @bmarcoux , for your second issue, I'd completely sign out of the Q program, reboot and sign back in (if you haven't already tried it).  Or perhaps you may benefit from a clean install of your Q program.  Quicken team has provided a nice set of instructions below.  If that does not resolve it, then I suggest to contact the Quicken support.
    Good luck.

- Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R28.24 (still !)
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 20H2
  • bmarcouxbmarcoux Member
    Hi,

The issue with the password not taking when in Quicken just started happening (within the last week or so). I didn't have this issue before. Also, I shut down my computer every night so when launching Quicken, it's right after the start my computer.

Regards,
    BMarcoux
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @bmarcoux

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

Were you able to try signing out of the program or reinstalling as suggested above?

If not, please take a moment to review the steps and information available at the link below:

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • BKBK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rick9 , FYI I just installed today's patch release of R28.24 and it fixes the password issue we were experiencing.  Resolved - Thank you Quicken team!
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R28.24 (still !)
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 20H2