Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Product Enhancements (Mac)

Changing Report dates quickly and without saving (Q Mac)

robryalsrobryals Member
I frequently want to run a Report and look at several date ranges (by Month, then by Quarter).

It would be nice to be able to quickly change the date right on the Report without going to Customize, and to able to close the Report without being prompted to save it due to a date range change (distinguish between ad-hoc date range changes versus permanent date ranges for the saved report).
Tagged:
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first part about changing dates right on the report is a feature of QM2007, including using predefined custom date ranges. Would be nice to see both of those return to QMac.

You can vote for Custom Date ranges here:

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    robryals said:
    I frequently want to run a Report and look at several date ranges (by Month, then by Quarter).

It would be nice to be able to quickly change the date right on the Report without going to Customize, and to able to close the Report without being prompted to save it due to a date range change (distinguish between ad-hoc date range changes versus permanent date ranges for the saved report).
    @robryals  While I agree changing the date on the report itself would be nice, I'd note that it's simply one extra mouse click to open the Customize sheet, where date range is right at the top. Since there are so many things people want to customize about reports, having them all in the one Customize window makes sense to me. If they put the date field in the header, other users would undoubtedly ask for other things in the header, and it could get messy.

Similarly, the prompt about saving when closing requires one mouse click or keyboard command to dismiss, so I don't find it too onerous. Here, I think the the question is whether the single click to dismiss the save prompt is better or worse than closing a  report after you've spent a bit of time tweaking it forgetting to first manually save it. They've had it both ways over the years, and I think I've made the mistake of losing a report I carefully tweaked a number of times when it used to close without saving -- so I'd probably prefer the current way better. I'm not sure how you'd suggest Quicken distinguish between ad-hoc date range changes versus permanent date ranges without a prompt; it seems it either has to prompt always to prevent changes from inadvertently being lost or to require users to manually invoke saving when they want to update a save report. Of course, the solution to issues like this where different Quicken users might line up on different sides is to add a preference whether to prompt when closing a report. ;)  But the developers are (understandably) reluctant to keep adding lots of preferences such that people don't even know all the preference settings they can change.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993