Deleted Repeating Online Payment Still Being Paid

I have an unusual problem that I'm hoping someone can help me solve. I deleted an online repeating payment and created a new one to the same Payee with a different amount. The old repeating payment does not appear in my Bills and Income Reminder list, but it is still being paid weekly, and the new payment is also being paid. In other words, the Payee is receiving two checks every week (numbered consecutively), in two different amounts, even though there's only one entry in the Bills and Income Reminder List.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you sign-on to the bill payment web site and delete the old repeated payment if it is still present.
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    How do I sign on to bill payment website? I generated the payment through Quicken, not through the bank's online bill-pay. Is there a website where I can log in and see my Quicken-generated payments?

Thanks!
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need clear understanding of who you signed up for to process payments. It can be a third party provider from Quicken or it can be directly with your existing bank. If it is with your existing bank, you need to sign on there and remove from their payment processing link.
     user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    The payment was generated through my Quicken software. I'm using Quicken Premier 2020, Version R27.42, Build 27.1.27.42.

One of the many weird aspects of this issue is that the checks are consecutively numbered. To me, that says that Quicken is generated both payments, and not the bank's bill-pay service.

I just deleted the existing online payment (the only one listed in the Bills and Income Reminder list. I created a new online payee in Quicken (by abbreviating something in the name so it was different), and created a new repeating bill payment for the payee using the new Quicken payee. (All of this was done through Quicken, NOT the bank's web online bill pay.) It'll be interesting to see if the problem persists with the newly named Payee.

Thanks!
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    As a point of information...I just logged into my bank's online bill pay, and the payee in question isn't even listed there, which means I've never used the bank's online bill pay to make a payment to this payee.

Thanks!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    How do I sign on to bill payment website? I generated the payment through Quicken, not through the bank's online bill-pay. Is there a website where I can log in and see my Quicken-generated payments?

Thanks!
    To determine the bill payment website, open the payment register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab and review the Online bill payment region.  If you're using Quicken Bill Pay, use: https://login.web.quickenbillpay.com/7511/  Otherwise, use the website of the financial institution associated with the register.
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I'm definitely not using Quicken Bill Pay, or whatever is about to replace it. I checked the Online Services tab for this account, and there's no reference to "Online bill payment region." It says, "Financial Institution: Union Bank - Quicken" and "Connection Method: Direct Connect." In the box below it, it says, "[Account Name] is set up for online bill pay." See attached screen shot.

Does that help at all?

Thank you!
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It says, "Financial Institution: Union Bank - Quicken" and "Connection Method: Direct Connect." In the box below it, it says, "[Account Name] is set up for online bill pay."
     user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I'm definitely not using Quicken Bill Pay, or whatever is about to replace it. I checked the Online Services tab for this account, and there's no reference to "Online bill payment region." It says, "Financial Institution: Union Bank - Quicken" and "Connection Method: Direct Connect." In the box below it, it says, "[Account Name] is set up for online bill pay."

Does that help at all?

Thank you!
    The box below is the Online bill payment region on the tab. 

Union Bank is providing the bill payment service.  If you're not seeing the specific payee on the bill payment service web site, I suggest you contact Union Bank.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you need to logon to Union Bank and delete the recurring payment.
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    @GeoffG - I did that, and it is not listed in the Union Bank online bill payments.
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock - I think that's the next step. The people who deal with Quicken for the bank work M-F, so I will try that on Monday. Thank you!.
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    UPDATE: I spoke with Union Bank's Quicken department. They were actually able to go into my Quicken profile and see the various payments I have scheduled. The CSR found the offending rogue reoccurring payment, and supposedly deleted it. There was one payment scheduled for this week that was too late to delete, but going forward he said there should be no further payments. So, after this week, it will be interesting to see if this rogue payment continues to be made.

My thanks to all who offered advice and ideas!
  • SoCalScott
    SoCalScott Member ✭✭
    ANOTHER UPDATE: The problem persists. And, according to the latest "Quicken Expert" at my bank, they don't have a way to go into my Quicken profile and delete anything. So, either the first CSR was lying, or the second one is incompetent. (My bet is on the second one.) After 40 minutes on the phone with the bank today, they were out of ideas and said they would call me back after researching it further. I'm not holding my breath.

So, ignore the "accepted answer" designation above. The problem persists.