Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Check Printing workflow needs serious work

Snowman
Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
At any one time I may have 50+ checks waiting to be printed.  The way Quicken now works it is VERY easy to print ALL of these checks without meaning to.  There is also no "Quick" way to print just one check.  I am currently using Q2020 R28.16 but this has been and issue for at least the past 3 or 4 years.  Let me walk you through a couple of scenarios to illustrate what I am talking about.

Currently my checking account has 26 checks with a "Print" status.  If I added one check, saved it I now go to File > Print Checks ( I have a Print Checks on my toolbar so I click that the results are the same).  It states correctly that I know have 27 checks to print because "All Checks is selected.    If I change that to Checks dated through 8/16/2020 is correctly shows 1 check to print.

If I pick Print Selected Checks Quicken makes it the default that All of the checks should be selected.  I believe that is wrong.  The default when this window opens should be that NO checks are selected because after all you only want to select the checks you want to print.

I first have to "Clear All" checks and then select the one that I just entered.  I click Done, then click OK.  The "Did the checks print OK?" popup is displayed and I select OK.

Now instead of the Select Checks to Print popup closing it reappears on the screen.  It says that "You have not selected any checks to print" but if I click the choose button ALL of the checks are selected.  BIG BUG because if I checked OK instead of the Choose button Quicken will PRINT ALL OF THE CHECKS that I did not want to print. 

Two Things need to be done:

1)  Set the default for choosing checks to be that NO checks are selected.
2)  When you select OK on the "Did the checks print OK? popup the Select Checks to Print SHOULD NOT reappear.

Tagged:
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does that sound so familiar? Have you suggested this same scenario previously? If so, I can't find the old discussion ...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds familiar to me, too. A quick peek at @Snowman 's profile found a few. I stopped looking after finding 3.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    This really needs to be fixed!  I know not many issue checks anymore but those of us that do need to have the illogical flow as I described fixed.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't disagree. But you're going to print all those checks eventually, right? So couldn't you simply print them all at once and leave them in a pile until you're ready to mail them?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    No because sometimes the amounts change slightly.  I have put them in the register 90 days in advance because that is the ONLY way I can get a feel for if I will have enough money in the source account at any given time to cover the checks.  It is basic programming 101 when asked to select items from a list the default is never to select all items.  My cash flow is based on 90 days (roughly one quarter) as a large portion of my income comes in quarterly.