Home Before you Buy

Upgrading from Quicken 2004

I am based in the UK and using Quicken 2004 on Windows 10. The programme is running smoothly and is not causing any problems. However I think it is time to upgrade. Whilst it it possible to purchase a UK alternative accounting package that will transfer data from Quicken files it will still require a lot of work to map categories etc.
Is there any route which will allow me to upgrade to the lastest version of Quicken. I know that a UK version was not updated from the 2004 one but Quicken is still running in USA, Canada and Australia. I do not require either online banking or stock market features and I run my tax affairs from my Quicken records (i.e. not using the Quicken tax feature).

Any advice is most welcome.

Answers

• Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might be out of luck with that version of UK Quicken, but see this previous discussion on the topic that will give you some things to try:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20043429/#Comment_20043429

Make sure you have an up to date backup of your data before you begin, and you might want to make sure you have the original installation media for your current UK version in case you want to (or need to) go back to it. 
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Martin Wilkins" ,

The latest version of the Quicken Product is based on being a Subscription Product. If you stop paying for Quicken, you would lose space : https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7720791/quicken-inc-should-eliminate-or-minimize-the-large-popup-with-expiration-119-legacy-votes/p1

Stay with what you have or go with Quicken 2017, if you can still find it available for Sale, instead.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20236.1005
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.572

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    If possible, do this on a second computer, thus preserving your UK installation until you are sure the conversion works.
    I would also think about converting up to only QW2013 found at this link:
    It is the last version that did not require an Intuit and/or Quicken ID to use and there really have not been any non-online banking improvements made since then that I can remember.  The "non-online" being the important words since using Quicken in the UK, they are not available to you anyway.
    BTW, the Australian Quicken is an off-shoot of the US version and by a different company and is not compatible with it.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17
    BTW, listen to @Dan Glynhampton , he is a fellow UK user and has gone thru what you are looking at, he has first hand advice, whereas, we, US/Canadian users, can only report on what we have heard.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Martin WilkinsMartin Wilkins Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I have had a response from Dan and will follow his recommendations.
  • KJulianKJulian Member ✭✭
    Hi Martin, How did you go with upgrading from Quicken 2004 to the current version, did you loose any data? I'm in the same boat and wondering if it is safe to upgrade to the latest version. (SEP2020)
    Hi Kjulian.

I am in the middle of a major clean up of my computer and the upgrade of Quicken is on the list. I will get back to you once I have done this.
  • Update for Kjulian,

I have followed the procedure outlined by Dan. I first downloaded the files recommended and then, after installing 2013 version found that it would not read my files. The complaint was that it could not handle files from certain countries. It then recommended looking at a Quicken help page but this was found to be unobtainable.

There is an alternative UK programme available which will convert data from Quicken and which costs less than £50, however the problem that I have is that I keep all of my transactions in one file ( do not run a year end) and the UK programme may not convert all of my history. The other problem is that, whilst it will map all of my categories, I have to carry this mapping out manually.

Taking the problems with Quicken 2004 into consideration it may be better to move to the UK programme.

Wish me luck.
  • ellyenneellyenne Member ✭✭
    DON'T DO IT. If you are still able to download your transactions (or if you don't need to), then don't give up your old Quicken.
    I just WAS FORCED to move to Q2020, and it is a horrible downgrade from the Q2007 interface - be prepared to use your mouse A LOT. And the automatic entry is completely lacking. Not only that, any of the features and report options I'm used to using are NOT available in Q2020.
    If you have no other reason to change, don't do it. They promised me they had fixed the interface, but it's horrible.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ellyenne I'm guessing that you are talking about going from Quicken Mac 2007 to Quicken Subscription (2020).  That is a completely different subject than going from Quicken Windows UK 2004 to Quicken Windows Subscription.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • ellyenneellyenne Member ✭✭
    I've used both the Windows and Q2020 interface. They promised me the Q2020 for Mac was much better, and that they had fixed the navigation problems. Wrong. The number of times that I've changed the date on a transaction without intending to... The fact that the entry window doesn't even have a transaction to work with and I have to CLICK on a + sign on a menu is horrible.
    Ellyenne,

Thanks for your comment.

When I replaced my Windows 7 machine with a Windows 10 one I could not use Quicken 2004 as there were three DLL files missing and no hint as to how to get them.

I found website https://www.dll-files.com/ which allowed me to download the three missing files and run Quicken 2004.

What I am concerned about is if there are any changes in the future which would make 2004 unuseable. We all know that Microsoft have a history of removing or changing features which are used heavily and then refusing to listen to those users.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellyenne,

Thanks for your comment.

When I replaced my Windows 7 machine with a Windows 10 one I could not use Quicken 2004 as there were three DLL files missing and no hint as to how to get them.

I found website https://www.dll-files.com/ which allowed me to download the three missing files and run Quicken 2004.

What I am concerned about is if there are any changes in the future which would make 2004 unuseable. We all know that Microsoft have a history of removing or changing features which are used heavily and then refusing to listen to those users.

Hi @""Martin Wilkins" ,

In your posts, within this thread, you only mention Quicken 2004 in the U.K., but nothing on the Edition of Quicken 2004, you are using like for example, Basic or Starter. They are different on what is done in each.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20236.1005
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.572

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It think a few things need to be stated about this thread.

1. It isn't helpful to post complaints about the wrong programs, subjects on a given thread.
    2. The best advise is from someone that has actually done what is being attempted.
    This thread is about going from Quicken 2004 UK to a US version.  The only similarity it has to going from Quicken 2007 Mac to Quicken Subscription is that both are obsolete.  And as such as time moves on you are forced to do something.  You might not like what is offered, but that is the way of the world.

There are a few "foreign" versions of Quicken out there.  These are all Windows, not Mac.  The two most common are Quicken UK and Quicken Australia (Reckon).  I exclude Quicken Canadian, because that is a direct branch off of Quicken US branch and is still sold/maintained by Quicken Inc.

What happened for "foreign" versions is that Intuit licensed the code to others to produce them, but after 2004 withdrew that license from most of them (Reckon still produces Quicken, but with a different name).

The fact that the code and database formats came from that original source means that there is a "chance" for a conversion to a later version of Quicken US.  This has been hit or miss.  It seems to be determined by what is in the data file, because different users have got different results.  For Quicken 2004 UK the obvious first try would be to use Quicken 2013 Deluxe that is provided to try to do the conversion.  Since Quicken Subscription is going to have the same conversions built into it, most likely it would have the same results.  There is a slight chance that it might be different, but doubtful.  Note even though the documentation says you can't go from a Quicken 2004 data file to a Quicken Subscription data file using only Quicken Subscription it is wrong.

Note your best chance is if you first run Validate and Repair on the file in the old version before attempting the conversion.

For recommendations on how to do the conversion an clean up afterwards, the best source is Dan's above.  He is from the UK and has done this.

If that fails there is a possibility that you can export everything in QIF format and import that into Quicken.  It is much more error prone and might need much more clean up, and it will transfer a lot less of the details, but still might be your best option.

Here is how I did this kind of operation working around the limitations of Quicken's QIF import, and some very long discussions on what does and doesn't transfer.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Note none of this is dependent on whether a persons likes the changes in Quicken Subscription or not, since for the Windows user coming from such an old data file, they can stop at Quicken 2013 if they like.  Of course some day they might have to deal with it not working and not being supported.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
This discussion has been closed.