New Bill Manager Feedback (Edited)

Bill Manager is not working, it is intermittent at best. It is NOT READY TO GO LIVE. For example, Says it can't log into Yes Energy Account because servers are down. Servers are not down. Won't work with WellsFargo Mortgage. Wont work with Navient Student Loan. Wont work with Texas Gas Service.

Comments

• alandraper
    alandraper Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Agree completely. [removed-language] I've wasted my time on this... It is really poorly implemented. Cannot delete online bill. Connection between "Bills & Income" and "Bill & Income Reminders" is poorly thought out and confusing.
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    It also attempts to connect, then stalls out with nothing but a white screen. The OK/Cancel or any buttons are not visible
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    I hope they delay this until it is working better. I am a software developer, and have been under these sorts of pressures to deliver a product by deadline. I get it. Its tough, but it just "aint" ready.
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    If they do not delay, I will be sending most of my bills manually. Electronic is NOT working for about 70% of my bills.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    There is also another option.   Several hundred banks offer online bill payment features, and Quicken will interface directly with those banks.
    What bank do you use ?
    Take a look here - ... Tools --> Account List
    and see if your bank is listed as Direct Connect - and if Online Bill Pay is avail ?
    I happen to use CHASE and it works great.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I have my credit union enabled to use to paybills, but Transaction Download is not available. Do both have to be available for it to work? (is this the Quicken plan, get the bank to pay for sending the bills?? LOL)
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    YES Energy Mngt - try to link, says, "The billers website is not accessible at this time. Please try again later."

Which I have done for 2 weeks now. No luck. Does not work.
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    City of Austin Utilities - "Biller added, waiting for bill update." - This is an error, the bill is available. I can't pay the bill.
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    No OK or Cancel button
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    I don't think it is equipped to handle multiple accounts with same biller.
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    I linked Navient, then got this screen
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    Then, after hitting the X to close the dialog, and tried to pay bill, this occurs . Obviously, the link was not successful. It doesn't work!
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    Linked to Wells Fargo Mortgage, again, no OK button
  • JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    Again, hit x to exit dialog and try to pay it. Still not working.
  • Hello @JimFromAustin,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If this issue is still occurring, I suggest contacting Support directly for more advanced assistance.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Support has access to tools and information that the Community does not have, including the ability to screen share with you, and can best work with you towards identifying a solution.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• JimFromAustin
    JimFromAustin Member ✭✭
    Finally figured this out! BTW - tried chat last weekend, dinked around for 30 minutes with them, then was disconnected during a screen share. That was a waste of time, had to get going. Anyway, here is the solution to these sorts of problems. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879952/bill-manager-not-working-all-kinds-of-problems-here-is-how-to-fix-it-solved/p1?new=1
  • axman53
    axman53 Member ✭✭
    Two of my regular payees are not able to sync bills in bill manager now: Xfinity & Citi Cards (Costco card). One by one I'm moving these problematic payees to my bank's online bill pay. Long term, I think I will abandon Quicken Bill Manager for my bank's online bill pay. The problem as I see it is that, now that Quicken has to communicate directly with each payee's web platform, that increases exponentially the number of failure points for Bill Manager. Each payee presents its own issues with compatiblity with Bill Manager's process. Eventually I see myself renewing Quicken only at the Deluxe level and dropping out of Bill Manager altogether. Too bad. I had been paying my bills reliably with Quicken Bill Pay (the previous way to doing things) since the mid-90s. I thought tech was supposed to improve over time. Guess not...
  • j0001
    j0001 Member ✭✭
    The new Bill Manager implementation is ridiculous. Bill Manager doesn't integrate into the existing workflow features that Quicken users have been using forever. On top of that, they left all the mechanisms in for the discontinued Bill Pay service, causing more confusion and opportunity for errors.

1) Bill and Income Reminders still allows for reminders that are linked to "Online Bill Pay." Even though Bill Manager allows an account to be linked to a Bill Pay payee, clicking Enter on a reminder will enter a Bill Pay transaction (Send) not a Bill Manager transaction. Why is this even possible when Bill Pay has been discontinued. I wonder how many people have 'Send' transactions sitting in their register, thinking they have been processed. If you are going to discontinue support of Bill Pay, PLEASE REMOVE THE ABILITY TO ENTER BILL PAY TRANSACTIONS.

2) Also, please link the Reminders to the new Bill Manager so when I click on them they take me to the transaction.

3) I have multiple accounts with the same company. When I link to them in Bill Manager a Biller entry is created for each one showing the company name and account number. There is no way (or I can't find it) to modify the name to something descriptive. The only way to know which Biller is which is to look up the account numbers. This is absurd!
    PS - There is a workaround for this but it's a total kludge. Enter a new Bill Pay payee for each Biller account, then link it to the appropriate Bill Manager Biller entry. It's ironic that you have to use Bill Pay mechanisms to make this work.

4) I use Check Pay a lot. Please keep it reasonably priced and make it easy to add more checks if we hit our limits. This is a dealbreaker and may force me to switch services.

Bottom line: The new Bill Manager that Quicken has forced on us doesn't provide the same functionality as the discontinued Bill Pay service. While it does add some nice features, it should first focus on equal functionality & service as well as clean integration.
  • Mark248
    Mark248 Member ✭✭
    I have been a loyal quicken user for nearly 30 years and a thrilled original early adopter as a quicken check free and then bill pay user since its inception probably over 20 years ago. But I am now despondent at how badly quicken has broken what was such a great system by switching over to the new Bill Manager.

For me Bill Manager is essentially unusable. In the first month of use, as a result of a perfect storm of all these design flaws, which also forced me to re-enter my payments outside of Quicken, I racked up $272 in bank and credit card insufficient fund FINES and PENALTIES, something that never happened in all the years with Bill Pay, and I have been forced to set up my all my bill payments at my online bank account instead of using Quicken for bill payments.

This dissatisfaction stems from several design changes and flaws including:
    1.Unreliable transmission of the new online Quick Pay as payment instructions were repeatedly cancelled by Quicken due to inability to connect with prominent websites such as Citibank and Macy's. (Quicken did not even try to fix the connectivity issue)
    2.One can no longer manage the bills due for payment inside of the payment checking account register as was the case with Bill Pay, leading to the risk of inadvertently paying a bill out of the wrong checking account.
    3. The default payment account in Bill Manager is chosen by the Quicken software without input from the user... ie it defaults to pay from my wrong checking account that I do not wish to use.
    4.The specifics of the payment instructions are not readily visible on the Quicken Bills and Income page without first drilling down, making it too difficult to monitor for errors such as in #3 above.
    5. The payment amount of a future payment does not consistently post in the corresponding payment account register on that future date across all payment types. Rather in some cases, it does not add the amount until after payment date is posted. This gives a falsely high balance total when looking forward that future date.
    6. The "Bills and Income" page has a presentation that is very difficult to visually process, including too much information when I just want to know which bills need to be paid in the next 30 days, the display is out of chronological order and many bills are without a due date pending a yet to be downloaded statement, with no option to establish a user defined due date.
    7. There is no longer an alert in the payment checking account register that bills are due, you now have to navigate and drill down elsewhere to view that.

I do hope that all of these issues can be quickly addressed.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to provide your feedback, although I apologize for the frustration that the discontinuation of Quicken Bill Pay has caused.

Quicken Bill Pay is a service provided and managed by a third party company named "Metavante".  Unfortunately, they have decided to discontinue this service.

To close the gap and ensure Quicken Members still can create and send bill payments through Quicken, we developed the new Quicken Bill Manager feature.

We understand how essential it is for bill payment services to "get it right" so our Teams focused on building a rock-solid foundation to add additional features and services as quickly as possible.

If you have not done so already, please take a moment to visit and bookmark this announcementThis will ensure that you will be notified of any changes or updates to the Quicken Bill Manager program as soon as more features are built and become available.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report any issues you have experienced with Quicken Bill Manager.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Barryng
    Barryng Member ✭✭
    I used Quicken Bill Pay since 1996 to manage two checking accounts. For one account, each month the check register auto populated with nine checks and one deposit. Once the deposit was verified, I only had to make minor edits to each check and then click “Update” to send all nine checks. For the second account, about 25 recurring transactions auto populated each month with most only being check register entries. The few checks only required a revision to the check amount and then “Update” to send them. Bill Manager is a very annoying big step backwards because each month I now must manually enter every recurring/scheduled transaction that previously auto populated. Additionally, unless I know the date a check is to be sent, I cannot enter the check in advance at my convenience as checks are now paid immediately upon entry. Further, for every check, I must always retype the entire Memo field, frequently including account numbers, as the Memo field is no longer memorized for each payee.

I understand Metavante no longer provides the check mailing service used by Quicken Bill Pay but that does not justify removing such useful features that are seemingly just a function of the Quicken software. No recurring/scheduled transaction feature, no memorized Memo fields for each payee, and not allowing a user to pre-enter multiple checks and then sending all at once with the “Update” button has transformed Quicken into a time-consuming truly unpleasant frustrating tool. The interface was not broken so it is inexplicable why it has been intentionally crippled.

The purpose for this post is to 1) provide feedback to the developers of Quicken and 2) vent my extreme frustration with this once excellent tool.
  • apeden
    apeden Member
    Bills and Income Screen doesn't work.
    -It can't seem to figure out 2 accounts with same biller.
    -It doesn't present the most current bill it has.
    -It makes up dates it doesn't know and then complains its too far in the future.
    -It enforces dates based on bad information and provides no override mechanism. It's arrogant to assume the software knows best because too many things can go wrong. The user should always be in charge and always have the final say.

But, above all else, I need to be able to trust you to deliver payments to the right place at the right time. I suffered two late fees this month because Check Pay failed to do that.

This is astonishing from a company that's been doing financial software for so long.
  • Ducksoup_SD
    Ducksoup_SD Member ✭✭
    The Bills & Income tab is completely clueless! It has now decided that my pension income goes to my Visa account, even though all of the screens show that my pension goes to my checking account (and has been electronically deposited there for months). A loan payment from a relative is supposed to go into my pocket cash account and also is flagged as going into my Visa account. I get the little clock next to the Visa account on the Account Bar claiming that I have scheduled transactions and when I click on it, it shows my income entries. I have tried editing the entries to the correct accounts (first to a different account, then back to the correct ones) and that does nothing. I guess I'll just delete all my reminders so things don't get screwed up more than they already are. Isn't this what the subscription model is supposed to fix - releasing quality software updates instead of poor patches? :(
  • I completely agree. I have used Quicken since 1989 and dot-matrix printers. Bill Manager is the worst mistake Quicken has ever made in that time in my opinion. From my point of view, it is completely worthless. I am even further disappointed because I went to cancel Bill Manager in my account and I was warned that I would not be able to do bank downloads or stock updates or account sync. WHAT????? How is that related to Bill Manager and what is my annual Quicken subscription for? This makes no sense. I feel forced to pay $9.95/month for a service that doesn't work for me. Have I misunderstood something?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @mcmattaustx

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to better answer questions about your account and subscription.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • ThrowerGB
    ThrowerGB Member ✭✭
    I share your pain! I'm also a Quicken for Mac user since the '80s. It was a big issue when Intuit stopped enhancing for quite a few years. I've been very happy with the product and support since Quicken broke away from Intuit. .... Until this mess with the new Quicken Bill Manager. Online support is terrible, Documentation is either non-existent or not updated and wrong, granted, it's occasionally right. One example is the claim they make that here are 15,000 or so financial institutions you can pay. But that only applies to Quick Pay, eBill or Bank Bill pay works for only a few hundred.
    The old system would decide for itself whether to send electronically or by mailing a check. The new system makes the user decide. And I still can't figure out how to schedule a Quick Pay for a date other than today. One of the support people said that an electronic payment that was not an eBill can't be done unless it was done through Quick Pay, which goes right away.
    You also refer to the new limits on eBills and Checks (12+6=18) whereas the old system was a combined total of 15 in any combination for Premier users. Making limits on each is a real handicap. It's forced me to pay for an additional number of transactions per month (Which so far is undocumented.) I had to do it by calling support a few weeks ago because there was no way to do it yet through the app or website. And I'd already made multiple call and gotten conflicting or confusing answers. I took the option of (15+15=30) transactions. And that's not an additional 15+15, so it's only an additional 12 transactions at $9.95/mn. They call this Bill Manager Plus. There are also additional options: Bill Manager Pro 100 (50+50, $$44.95/mn) and Bill Manager Pro 200 (100+100, $89.95/mn). When you compare the price per transaction of these options, the 15+15 is significantly more expensive per transaction than any of the other options or the default.
  • Brian Miller
    Brian Miller Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I have been a Quicken Premiere for Windows user for about 10 years. Before that I used [Removed] for about 20 years. The current Quicken Premiere Bill Manager is the biggest mess I have ever witnessed. It is buggy and inconsistent to the point that I am surprised if it actually works. It has stopped updating even the few electronic bills that were available. Quickpay fails nearly every time. I am thoroughly disgusted with this company. As soon as some other company offers a product with comparable features, I am gone. The two things I need most: cashflow forecast and reliable bill pay can no longer be trusted in this software. I would use much stronger words . . . but I know they would be censored.
  • Greydog9928
    Greydog9928 Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    I have a lot of difficulty finding ebill payees that I can actually use, so need to sent the majority through an actual check.  They include 12 quick pays and 6 checks.  It should be the other way around.  There should also be an easy easy mechanism to add a payee if it is not already listed.  Also additional payments should be additional to the 12/6, and not to replace it which is the current option with the 15/15 upgrade.  This service is $10/month, which is only providing an additional 9 check payments which is about $1/payment which is way too expensive.  The payment structure of this should really be re-examined.  My bank does not charge me a dime to make payments through their website.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greydog9928 said:   My bank does not charge me a dime to make payments through their website.
    What is your bank -
    There are lots of banks that offer online bill payment services AND will work directly with Quicken without the need of the 3rd party bill payment proxy.
    I've been using Chase and it works great - send payments directly from Quicken.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • haskinsr
    haskinsr Member ✭✭
    > @Mark248 said:
    > I have been a loyal quicken user for nearly 30 years and a thrilled original early adopter as a quicken check free and then bill pay user since its inception probably over 20 years ago. But I am now despondent at how badly quicken has broken what was such a great system by switching over to the new Bill Manager.
    >
    > For me Bill Manager is essentially unusable. In the first month of use, as a result of a perfect storm of all these design flaws, which also forced me to re-enter my payments outside of Quicken, I racked up $272 in bank and credit card insufficient fund FINES and PENALTIES, something that never happened in all the years with Bill Pay, and I have been forced to set up my all my bill payments at my online bank account instead of using Quicken for bill payments.
    >
    > This dissatisfaction stems from several design changes and flaws including:
    > 1.Unreliable transmission of the new online Quick Pay as payment instructions were repeatedly cancelled by Quicken due to inability to connect with prominent websites such as Citibank and Macy's. (Quicken did not even try to fix the connectivity issue)
    > 2.One can no longer manage the bills due for payment inside of the payment checking account register as was the case with Bill Pay, leading to the risk of inadvertently paying a bill out of the wrong checking account.
    > 3. The default payment account in Bill Manager is chosen by the Quicken software without input from the user... ie it defaults to pay from my wrong checking account that I do not wish to use.
    > 4.The specifics of the payment instructions are not readily visible on the Quicken Bills and Income page without first drilling down, making it too difficult to monitor for errors such as in #3 above.
    > 5. The payment amount of a future payment does not consistently post in the corresponding payment account register on that future date across all payment types. Rather in some cases, it does not add the amount until after payment date is posted. This gives a falsely high balance total when looking forward that future date.
    > 6. The "Bills and Income" page has a presentation that is very difficult to visually process, including too much information when I just want to know which bills need to be paid in the next 30 days, the display is out of chronological order and many bills are without a due date pending a yet to be downloaded statement, with no option to establish a user defined due date.
    > 7. There is no longer an alert in the payment checking account register that bills are due, you now have to navigate and drill down elsewhere to view that.
    >
    > I do hope that all of these issues can be quickly addressed.