Home Before you Buy

Quicken Personal 2010 (Australia) and Deluxe US Questions

Hello, hopefully someone can give me a rough idea of whether this may or may not work. Thanks in advance for any advice offered. :-)

For background info - I have been running Quicken Personal 2010 on my laptop and my Dad has been running Quicken Personal 2012 on his PC (both Australian versions). We've both just been locked out because they're "too old" and neither of us is interested in paying $180, per person, per year to get the newer Reckon program.

We are looking at getting Quicken Deluxe 2020 but have a few questions first. We know the online bank links won't work with Australian banks - no issue as we never had this function on the old ones anyway!

1. Has anyone had any luck with salvaging their old Quicken Australia files with the 2020 Quicken US program? Or have we lost everything permanently?

2. "The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts, even after your subscription ends. "
Does this mean we can still use Quicken as we do currently - ie. manually entering in transactions from our respective piles of receipts, modifying categories, creating/editing/deleting bank accounts within a Quicken file (I in particular am about to change banks for multiple accounts/loans), reconciling credit card statements, creating/editing budgets, creating reports etc? The only thing we will lose access to is the ability to download directly from banks (which won't work anyway in Australia) and any future updates to the program? We won't be stuck with only playing with what has already been entered before the subscription expires?

3. I understand that you can use a US address (ie your country's embassy) for purchasing Quicken. But are there any issues with using the 30 day refund if you live outside the US?

Fingers crossed I can get this to work. Thank you!

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19
    On a third computer (if possible, or make a system image backup to restore to if need be), I would try and see if you can get it to work in US Quicken2013 found at this link:
    It may be that you have to do QIF file exports/imports if the US Q won't read the AUS Q data file.
    The QIF file exports can be accomplished following the instructions in this thread:
    The QW2013 does not have an expiration date and does not have the lost screen space issues of subscription Q after the subscription expires: Expiration-Vote which covers most of your questions about the data access guarantee.
    If you get it converted and running on QW2013, then you can consider the move to subscription Q.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19
    On #2 if you get the Starter edition and you let the subscription lapse the data file becomes read-only.  If you get the Deluxe edition or higher you can still use it for all manual operations, but about 25% of the window will be taken up with a couple of ads suggesting you renew the subscription.

On the subject of QIF files.  The Australian version of Quicken uses a date format of dd/mm/yyyy, and the US version requires the date format to be mm/dd/yyyy (You can change the format displayed in the registers by changing the Windows short date format, but that doesn't affect the QIF import format).

Note I have been told that the Australian version of Quicken has an option on the QIF import to change the date format, so there might be an option to change it on the export.

If you need to change the format,  this program should allow you to do that.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/cleanqif.html

Or you can also use this one, especially if you want to import transactions on an ongoing basis.  Edit, the more I think of it this one is good for changing the dates if you are exporting everything from Quicken.   It is meant mainly for transaction importing.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Note importing a QIF file (which can have transactions from your financial institution(s)) isn't blocked if the subscription lapses.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • AileBAileB Member
    Ok, I think I can figure something out from your advice.

I have a second laptop so I will attempt to get Quicken 2013 installed on it, and then transfer copies of my files over via USB and see if it works (I'll hold the originals on my current laptop just in case).

I've never tried importing/exporting QIF files before, so hopefully I don't stuff it up (or the date conversion program).

Fingers crossed :-)

Thanks for your help, and I'll post tonight or tomorrow as to what happens.

As to letting the subscription expire - so far as I can tell, we won't lose any functionality that we need access to. The only problem will be the adverts from Quicken, but I guess we'll try it, see what happens, and if it's too irritating we'll renew. $60 Aus between two of us each year is a hell of a lot better than $180 each per year!
    @AileB Just to be clear, first try having Quicken 2013 read/convert your Quicken data file set.  It might work and then you won't have to deal with QIF exporting/importing.
    P.S. Also if you stick with Quicken 2013 it doesn't expire, so you might just want to stay with it instead of buying Quicken Subscription (which started in 2018).  The main reason for going to Quicken Subscription is to make use of the "online services", which you really can't make use of anyways.
  • AileBAileB Member
    Ok, well we bit the bullet and downloaded 2013 on Dad's PC and my secondary laptop.

I copied my files over on a USB and opened them with 2013 and it appears to have worked! The dates are in Aussie format - dd/mm - and so far I don't appear to have lost or corrupted anything. Tomorrow will be spent checking against bank statements and the like but I think it's been successful.

Dad's has been more problematic - the files converted showed all scheduled transactions but nothing that was entered manually. However going back through his many, many backups has produced what appears to be a working file. His 2012 version has been playing up a lot before it stopped completely so it may have corrupted the more recent backups, which doesn't give 2013 a lot to work with.

Also, Dad has everything year to year on the one continuous file, and I start a new one each year, so the size difference is possibly having an effect?

So far, so good 😁

We are a bit worried about how long Quicken 2013 will be supported for if we continue to use it - we'd rather not repeat the panic of the last week if possible. But at least we have salvaged the files and aren't chained to Reckon's new program just to get them back.

Thank you very much for your help and hopefully there will be no more disasters!
    On the dates.  It seems that Quicken Australian didn't change the internal date format and as such Quicken US could read them just fine.  Quicken Australian  like a lot of "foreign" Quicken versions were created by Intuit licensing the code to different companies around the world.  So they can be thought of as a "branch off of Quicken US".  For most of those versions of Quicken Intuit canceled the contracts, but Reckon retained the use of what it had, but was no longer getting code updates in about 2009 or maybe even a bit earlier than that.

The date format you see in the register is controlled by the short date on your machine, it isn't what the internal date format is.

As for the conversion, I don't believe size of the file has anything to do with it, but corruption of a data file certainly would.  One thing you can try is to run Validate & Repair on a data file using the old version of Quicken.  Also you might try exporting/importing QIF.  Note if you have problems with the transfers this program can help by changing them into non linked categories.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

As for the support of Quicken 2013.  It has popup several times that especially with the foreign versions (and maybe some of the really old US versions) that they put in a time limit of like 10 years or something like that.  As far as anyone knows Quicken 2013 US doesn't have such a time limit.

Quicken 2013 US marks a very special dividing line.  Starting in Quicken 2014 you are required to use a "Quicken Id".  The Ids are free, but the very fact that you have to use one to install means that if Quicken Inc ever went out of business you would no longer be able to install Quicken on a new machine.

So Quicken 2013 is the last version that is totally independent of what Quicken Inc does.

Starting 2018 Quicken Inc went to a subscription way of paying for Quicken and getting program updates.  As long as the subscription is current you get the latest release of Quicken.

In reality the "subscription payment" is little different than how Quicken has been paid for in the past.  In the past you when you paid for Quicken you got about 3 years of online services from the time it was first released, and then it became "manual entry only (with the exception of being able to import QIF files as long as the account name and type are in them)".  With the subscription people buy either a 1 or 2 year subscription and online services are good for the length of that subscription.  BTW I'm not sure if they will sell to Australia, but companies like Amazon can sell it and usually for a better price than at Quicken.com.

If the subscription lapses it goes into the manual entry only mode, is just like before with a couple of exceptions.  One is that for the Starter edition it becomes read-only.  And the other is for the Deluxe and above edition go into manual entry only mode, but 25% of the window is taken up by two ads that suggest renewing the subscription.
  • AileBAileB Member
    Dad has decided to start over with MoneyDance - I think he's lost a little faith with Quicken :-(. Importing the converted QIF file via Quicken 2013 meant doing the setup for all his scheduled transactions again since they don't get included in the QIF file, so he decided just to start from scratch and do the lot.

I'm thinking I'll try to retrieve something from Dad's lost files though. I've never used Validate and Repair, but I'll open Dad's file in 2013 and see what happens with the V&R. I'm not quite sure what you mean by importing/exporting a QIF file. Do you mean convert Dad's file in Quicken 2013, export it and then import it back into Quicken 2013?

I'm going to keep Quicken 2013 for now, at keep an eye out for 2020 to come on sale (there was mention on the Aus Reckon forums of Black Saturday at the end of October?) for a trial run. Amazon and BestBuy both had good prices, but specifically stated that they were download in the US only and one/both said no refunds, so I'll stick with buying direct from Quicken.

Fingers crossed and I'll see what Dad's file comes out with.
    I meant that is you can't get a good conversion from his old Quicken data file to Quicken 2013, export the data from that old version using QIF format and import it into Quicken 2013.

Please note that since Aus Reckon Quicken code started from Quicken US code is what made it possible to do the conversion from Aus to US, but they aren't interchangeable.

Even if we were talking about only US versions, it isn't backwards compatible, as it can convert older version data files to newer version data files, but not the other way around (as Quicken 2013 can't read a Quicken 2020/subscription data file).  And there was a major change in Quicken 2010 US that I'm pretty sure the Aus version never got.  Quicken 2009 and below data files were a "set of files", like .qdf, .qph, ...  in Quicken 2010 US these files were merged into a "compressed file" which has the suffix of .QDF, but it isn't the old .QDF, that is now an "internal file" in the compressed .QDF data file.  So it you aren't going to be able to go back to the Aus version with that data file.

Also one of the main points of going to a subscription is to have a continuous update stream.  Updates are coming out at least once a month.  The "big bang new year release" is a thing of the past.  There may or may not be an "October discount" this year.  In the past starting about in April that would stop working on the last year's version, and start on the new year's version, and release around October.  On the other hand any holiday might be a reason that Amazon or Quicken Inc might run a special.  Also since they want people on the subscription Quicken.com does run special pretty often for "new users", which is to say people that aren't currently using the subscription or a person that has let their subscription lapse for more than 30 days.  That special may or may not beat the price on Amazon.

I don't know what Reckon's release/discount schedule would look like.

Note that when Intuit sold off Quicken and Quicken Inc was formed they did change some practices so one thing they did change is backwards compatibility.  Quicken 2016, 2017, can read Quicken subscription data files, but that is as far back and that backwards compatibility goes.  Quicken subscription is 2018 and beyond since as soon it is installed it immediately updates the the latest version.
  • YingDaveYingDave Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 26
    G'day @AileB - sorry have not read the whole thread yet. I am resident of Aus - clearly the best country on earth, in Brisvegas. I have migrated from Reckon Homes & Business over to in my case Quicken Home & Business Canada version (most like AU)!! during may/June. Have been offline for a little while as I had to recommission a new PC the old one was about to hit it's 11th birthday. 

I have done this without any need for QIF files. USQuicken2013 reads and converts the data files, then same with 2020 version to get the most recent. Underneath all the business data and structures remain incl GST table, invoices, accounts, memorised reports, scheduled bills, memorised transactions, budgets - everything AND **** is still my home currency!! Quicken reads date preference from windows settings. The AU data files are in fact US 2008 version data and have not changed in 10+ years so the process should work for you. Getting late I will come back later and read your details - however if you are by chance in the AU community.reckon.com.au forum you will see some recent posts I made on the conversion - if Reckon have not already blacked me. Basically they are milking the cash cow as long as they can which is why they 'turned off' the file export function  … more later but looks like you might be half way there!! 

Regards David Hunt

PS. you can still get to File export in Reckon product by hold Ctrl+Shift then clicking the menu File, Export or similar (going off memory now sine I do not have Reckon installed anymore)!! I did not need to use this though.
    Great to see an actual Aus user comment on this thread.  Since Quicken Home & Business Canada version was mentioned I thought I would put in some details I know about the difference between the US and the Canadian version.

1. The Canadian version has better multiple currency support like recording the history of currencies instead of just having the last currency rate like the US version has.
    2. The Canadian version cane import a QFX file in different currencies.  The US version will only import QFX files that are in USD.
    3. The US version allows for the changing of the Home currency the Canadian version doesn't.  Workaround, change it in the US version.
    4. The US version has more "online services" than the Canadian version, but in this situation it doesn't matter because they are mostly US only services.
  • YingDaveYingDave Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 1
    Back again - How did you go @AileB ? There are items that need to be cleaned up from Reckon before it will be 100% usable. This involves edit and removing all 3 categories for Unfranked Dividends as they have been 'appropriated' from the US version and when converted no longer appears as dividend transactions thus screwing up yield/cost base for investments. besides these which can be fixed, everything else should com across. I have full details on conversion process and will try to type it up. You can mail me on [email removed] if you wish.
  • HazberyazHazberyaz Member
    edited September 25
    I have another problem. Aus. 82old been using Quicken for about 40yrs. Just had to rebuild my PC and reinstall my programs including Quicken. But get stopped at the sign in/ register section. I have CD's and Keys for 2010 and 2011. Also CD for 2015 and a download for 2017. All of these will not install. Can anyone help me to bypass the sign in bit. Bernie at [email removed]
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    Something that works with US Quicken is doing left Shift + left Ctrl when clicking on Tools->One Step Update
    No promises if it will work with Aus Quicken, but it can't hurt to try.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.