new folder - GPUCache - just started appearing

This just started recently appearing in my Quicken files folder -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have one.  Are you sure that it is not due to something else you have been playing around with?

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After posting - I did a SEARCH and did find the other topic threads.... weird -
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected.  While I might not have one in the folder where my data file is, but there are 19 of them spread out across my local harddrive.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Well... for me - it is triggered and created when invoking the Quicken Browser -
    as when a new Q update is listed in One Step Update,
    and you click on the hotlink to read the release notes..
    that's when the GPUCACHE sub-dir was created.... at least for me ...

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    This has nothing to do with Quicken.  I deleted all 19 of the folders and the numerous files they contained and within 5 minutes there were 5 new ones and I had not even hovered over the Quicken icon, no less clicked on it.
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have only one GPUCache folder and it's in the Quicken data folder. Even though I used the Quicken Browser yesterday to view the release notes, the folder and all files in the folder were dated 6/27/20.
    I just now ran Quicken and it automatically updated me to 27.1.28.18. Now one of the files in the GPUCache folder has the current date and time.
  • FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    This is definitely caused by Quicken not by something else as mentioned here and in at least another thread.
    This morning I used Quicken R28.10. I got the alert that a new update is available but I ignored it. After I finished I closed Quicken and everything was normal.
    Then I decided to follow thru with the update and I started Quicken again and allow it to update to R28.18. After I finished I closed Quicken and I noticed that the GPUCache folder appeared on my Windows Desktop.
    I did the same on another computer which was running Quicken R28.10. After updating the second computer to Quicken R28.18 the GPUCache folder appeared on that desktop as well.
    If I delete the folder it will appear again after closing Quicken.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @FuzzyJohn
    How do you explain that without Quicken having been used, new GNUCache folders were created after deleting all 19 of the ones that the were found?
    The only programs used between the deletion and new findings were the browsers Opera and Chrome and Windows Explorer.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else using Norton 360?  All of the GNUCache folders on my computer today are under the AppData folder and are tied to things that connect to the Internet such as browsers and Skype.
    Now, Quicken connects to the internet and it could be triggering some other program to create them.
    Have you searched your WHOLE harddrive for the GNUCache folders.  To do so, you have to change the Windows setting to make hidden files/folders visible.
  • FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    @splasher
    I cannot explain your problem.
    In my case one of the instances where I have the problem is a Windows 7 Hyper-V virtual machine running under Windows 10 Pro. I rechecked going back to a previous checkpoint where Quicken R28.10 was installed and I had no problem. Again, I allowed the update to R28.18 to take place and the GPUCache reappeared when I closed Quicken.
    This virtual machine has a clean installation of Windows 7, all up to date with no other software installed except for Quicken Deluxe.
    Go figure.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest doing a Google/Bing internet search for GPUCache.  You will find lots of complaints about lots of different software packages causing the creation of the GPUCache folders.
    This is NOT restricted to Quicken, so it sounds like some Windows routine that Microsoft changed that all of those different programs use.  It could be that the GPUCache folder has been created all along, but something is now causing it to NOT be deleted when that process has completed.

• FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    @splasher
    Yes, I did that before coming here. And, yes, I did see other software packages mentioned.
    But in my case I have Windows 7 and Quicken R28.18. NOTHING else! Causes problem.
    Windows 7 and Quicken R28.10 no problem.
    Since I have no other software installed I can safely say that Quicken R28.18 is the culprit.
  • FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    OK... Mystery solved, at least in my case.
    I found that the GPUCache folder on the desktop is created when Quicken 28.18 is closed AND the Quicken Notice about the August 26 Services Maintenance window pops up.
    I unchecked the "Remind me later" checkbox and no more GPUCache folders are created on my desktop.
    Thank me very much!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FuzzyJohn said:
    OK... Mystery solved, at least in my case.
    I found that the GPUCache folder on the desktop is created when Quicken 28.18 is closed AND the Quicken Notice about the August 26 Services Maintenance window pops up.
    I was thinking the same thing....

• spravrm
    spravrm Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. This all started after Friday when I upgraded Quicken to REL 28.18 BLD 27.1.28.18 .

This morning I ended up finding 9 of the "GPUCache" folders across many "Program data folders". There was one in my Google Chrome program data folder and I haven't used that for 9 months. Has nothing to do with any of the other apps where the folder existed, but for sure all you have to do is run Quicken and exit it and you will get a "GPUCache folder on your "Desktop". You don't have to do any downloads and it happens. Personally I believe its caused by the new "MESSAGE" stating some download maintenance starting @ 9:00pm PT 8/26/2020. That folder pops up after you close the window with the MESSAGE !
  • spravrm
    spravrm Member ✭✭
    FuzzyJohn - YEP - unchecking that WORKS ! My question is "Why was that checked in the first place ?"

Thanks
  • slb0224
    slb0224 Member ✭✭
    Same problem with GPUCache folder showing up on desktop. Unchecked the box in the "Message" about maintenance. No more GPUCache folder on desktop.
    thanks FuzzyJohn!
  • el_abuelo
    el_abuelo Member
    Same problem for me. Fantastic!!! Finally, a fix that actually works! Good job! Thanks FuzzyJohn!
  • FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    @spravrm, @el_abuelo
    You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.