Why am I getting the "remotely accessing file" warning when I am NOT?

I am running Quicken for Windows on a Parallels Windows 10 VM. My Parallels VM is running on a 2019 MacBook Pro running Catalina. My active Windows data file is in my Documents Folder on my Mac where it has always been in the 10 years since I've been doing this, right along with the Quicken Program files ON THE SAME DRIVE. IT IT NOT REMOTE!!

Like others who ARE storing their data file remotely, I am annoyed by this recurring message. But, in my case, I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, because my Quicken Data File is ALREADY on my native drive, or at least as close as the program file! The "drive" for my windows VM also resides on my Mac HD, so what's the difference??

Path for my data file:
\\Mac\Home\Documents\Quicken\New Folder\Quicken2014_NewWin10
Path for my Quicken Windows Program file:
\\Mac\users\(user name)\Applications (Parallels)\New Windows 10 Applications\Quicken.app

Much ado about nothing! Please turn off that warning for VM users!!

Best Answers

Answers

• Well, I USED to be very Windows literate, but was forced by circumstances to become a Mac user about 12 years ago (when I just brought over my Quicken Windows to run on a Windows Virtual Machine....because there was no other option at the time).

So I'm kind of hazy in remembering what 'Drive E:\\" was used for on a Windows machine....but it was usually an attached, physically separate drive, distinct from the usual Drive C:\\ which was the boot drive, correct?? Seems like I had a card reader that was a "Drive E:\\" on my PC once?

In this case EVERYTHING is on the same (Boot Partition) of the Mac's HD. Parallels has become SO facile and semi-transparent (and fast now!), that it's very hard to really tell which OS you're in and which programs and data you're using.

You can run Windows (and any Windows program running in it) right in a Window on your Mac desktop, just like you were running any other Mac program. ALL the data files (as well as the program files that run the VM emulation and the VM's applications) are ALL on the same boot partition of the Mac's HD.

With the extra horsepower of laptops these days, I don't even have to "boot up" Windows in my VM, I just use Parallels "suspend" commend and leave Windows running suspended (with Quicken minimized), so that I can open Quicken Windows in a couple of seconds (for loading) from a running Mac session, just like any other native Mac application.

With all that, it would seem to me that Quicken's argument about the insecurity, whether from technical or criminal threats, of having the data file "remote" (whether on another drive, network drive or cloud drive) is entirely moot here!

When I posted this question, I had missed that the latest update had added a "Go Away" check-box to the warning, so I appreciated that being pointed out and have done it.

I don't have a very clear understanding of exactly how Parallels structures its folders and files for VM operation, apps and data, so I'm just going to let the directory structure of folders and files stay as is, since my Windows 10 VM, and Quicken Windows are running just fine (now that the checkbox got rid of the pesky warning!!). Thanks for you comment though!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken is checking for a "network drive".  Most network drives are setup to access remote machines, which adds extra risk to Quicken data files because they might not be reliable and Quicken doesn't have anything for correcting errors.

Network drives may be accessed by either a drive letter or a UNC path.  A UNC path is like \\machinename\sharefolder\...

But there isn't anything stopping using either of these to access a folder on the same machine.  Using these to access a local folder doesn't have the same risks, but the check Quicken is making isn't checking to see if that the machine being accessed like this is in fact the machine it is running on.

You can safely ignore this message.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • nniesen
    nniesen Member ✭✭
    I feel like Quicken made some changed that tanked performance on Network drives so they compensated by adding the warning. I've had my data on a NAS drive for over 10 years and have been using via a wireless connection for at at least 2 years. Occasionally things would be slow but normally it was just fine. Ever since the installing the update with the warning, performance of update operations has been terrible.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @nniesen Strictly speaking, since working on a network drive isn't supported, if they made changes that affect the performance on a network drive they are neither going to test for that or be too concerned about it happening.

You are perfectly free to put your data file on a network drive, but that means you have live with all the consequence.

Many years ago I kept my data file on a NAS and then after one update the performance dropped considerably, and I decided to stop putting it there.  So this is far from the first time that it has happened, and I doubt it has anything to do with the warning.  But all kinds of different changes can affect the performance and they certainly could have recently changed something that did affect your performance.

Just for grins I copied my data file to my wife's machine and opened it from there.
    It took about 14 seconds to open in comparison to 6 seconds on my machine.  This is quite reasonable performance given the difference between a 1 Gb/s wired network connection and a local SSD.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/