Unable to update USAA Credit Card Bill from Bills & Income tab in Quicken Windows

The new Quicken Bill Manager is unable to download the current bill from my USAA Credit Card account. Although the bill is available on my USAA account website, when I select Refresh Bill for USAA from the Bills & Income tab in Quicken, the resulting Quicken message says "Biller added. Waiting for latest update. Biller USAA added but the next due amount is not yet available. Please try to update your bill list later." FYI, I can view the bill on the USAA website, however it is not being recognized and downloaded using Quicken Bill Manager.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or is this a known issue that Quicken is working to fix?

Quicken for Windows Premier version R28.18 (latest update)

Answers

• Hello @carlj07

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue.  There's a couple of troubleshooting steps that we can try to see if we're able to bring that bill into quicken. There's two different steps to try. First we can try to validate the billers and then if needed we can also try readding the biller. 

You can do this by going to the bills screen and in the top right of the register area you'll see a cog wheel. This will give you a drop down with multiple options including verify biller. After being verified try again to update the biller. If it's still not working next thing to try is readding the biller. You can do this by selecting online biller instead and you'll see the remove option. Once this is done you should be able to add a biller like you previously have. Here's also a picture down below for some reference on the cog wheel menu.

Try this out and let us know how it goes! If not we'll see what our next best step is!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your suggestions and the problem still exists. Here's what I did:
    First I validated the Online Billers and I got a pop-up window stating there was an issue with USAA and giving me the option of removing the biller USAA (click on OK) or not (click on Cancel) (see attached Validate USAA.jpg). I selected OK and another pop-up window appeared (see attached Remove Biller After Validating Billers.jpg). I again selected OK and USAA was removed as a Biller.
    Next, I added USAA as a Biller. At one point I needed to select which USAA sub-account I wanted to add and I chose my USAA credit card account (see attached USAA Add Bill (1)). After choosing Continue, I got the Success pop-up (see attached USAA Add Bill (2)).
    Next, I selected Refresh Bill for USAA and I again got the pop-up stating Biller Added and Waiting For Update (see attached Biller Added Waiting For Update.jpg). This is the same as I have been getting - NOTE that the current bill has been available on the USAA website since Aug 20 and I can view it on the USAA website, but Quicken is not able to see/retrieve/recognize it.

Now, one other issue that I discovered with the biller, USAA. If I attempt to use Quick Pay to schedule a payment for a future date to pay my USAA credit card bill, Quicken will not let me schedule a payment beyond today's date (see attached Unable To Schedule USAA Payment In Quick Pay (1) and (2)) - it states the Biller requires a date of 8/23 (today's date). This issue only exists with USAA when using Quick Pay - my other Billers allow me to schedule payments in the future.
    How can I fix this so I can at least schedule a payment for my USAA credit card?
  • @carlj07

Thanks for the update! I was taking a look on our side to see what I was able to find as well. I have noticed that you've removed and readded USAA quite a few times. If you have a bit of time before the biller due date could you let it sit for 48 hours and see if we're able to have it update in that time period.

As for scheduling payments for a future date, that option is decided by the biller themselves which is why it's different than your other quick pay options as well. 

Once you're able to give it a bit of time let us know if we're able to get the bill to show up. If not we'll look at what our next best option is. 

Thanks
    Quicken Francisco
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I will wait a few extra days before I update my USAA bill on Thursday to see if my current USAA credit card bill is available in Quicken. I'll reply back here with the results.

Also, I contacted USAA via email to ask them to correct the scheduling-future-payments issue. I'll reply here what they come back with or if the issue is corrected by them.
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Francisco;

Just attempted to update my USAA Credit Card bill today (Thurs, 8/27) with the same result as previous: "Biller added. Waiting for latest update." (see attached image).

Also, I contacted USAA about the issue of not being able to schedule Quick Pay payments for a future date for my USAA Credit Card. Nobody at USAA I communicated with knows anything about how Quicken interfaces with their credit card accounts or how to remove the restriction, so they were absolutely no help.

I'm beginning to wonder if the issue I'm having with Quicken not able to update my USAA credit card bills is more of a USAA issue than a Quicken issue (since all my other Billers have no issues). Same for the issue with USAA not allowing me to schedule a future payment to my USAA Credit Card using Quicken's Quick Pay.

I'd be happy to continue to troubleshoot these issues with Quicken, but perhaps someone at Quicken also needs to contact whoever the USAA folks are that deal with Quicken/USAA Credit Card interface issues (and who I cannot seem to contact myself) and see if they can identify the problem and fix it.

If there are other troubleshooting steps you'd like me to try, please let me know.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was able to add USAA Credit as a biller when I first set up Bill Manager.  I successfully paid one bill using Quick Pay.  After that, USAA never updated the bill again.  I tried to validate the biller without success.  After a couple months, I just deleted it as an online biller.  I've also noticed that my bank/s billpay system does not provide for bill retrieval from USAA.  I believe you are right that USAA does not support bill retrieval, at least from Quicken.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • k3lavine
    k3lavine Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I had successfully setup USAA credit card as a Biller. When I did my first Quick Pay it failed. Called Quicken Support and they said it was because USAA uses 2 factor authentication. I knew this because when I setup USAA as a biller in Bill Manager it required the 2 factor authentication. According to Quicken Support Bill Manager can't handle 2 factor authentication. So along with my Capital One credit card, I can't pay my USAA credit card via Quick Pay. For what it is worth Xfinity/Comcast just failed to Quick Pay. Supposedly because of a problem with the Xfinity web site; however I logged on a made the payment from the web site. I'm trying to be patient [Removed-Disruptive]
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Interesting points by jrich75 and k3lavine. Apparently my issue is not limited to just me. Certainly, there has to be a solution, especially since more and more billers are moving to 2-factor authentication to protect their customer accounts.
    Quicken - I hope this gets escalated to the highest levels to find a solution. It is not at all attractive to be paying for a service that is not compatible with ALL online billers.

As for my other issue with USAA Credit Card limiting Quick Pay payments to today's date only (i.e. not allowing to schedule future payments), I need Quickens assistance to intervene with USAA on my behalf (since I am unable to find the right department in USAA to address this issue with). This restriction is completely unnecessary (and stupid).

As I said before, I'm willing to try further troubleshooting with Quicken, so I'll be standing by to hear back from them.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Please report back if you do get USAA Credit set up correctly for Bill retrieval and Quick Pay.  I would expect the scheduling problem will go away when you are able to retrieve a bill.

If that doesn't happen before the next bill comes due, a work around is to just go on the USAA site and pay the bill from there.  It is essentially the same process Quick Pay would use to complete payment.  My one successful Quick Pay to USAA resulted in my US Bank account being set up as a payment account on the USAA site and the payment was made from there (see image below).  It can even be set up for automatic payment which is something Quick Pay cannot currently do.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, jrich75, for the info. I will definitely post any progress here while getting Quicken Bill Manager to play nice with USAA Credit Cards. Waiting now for Quicken to offer to me more troubleshooting steps!
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    I should also add that Quicken does download any transactions from my USAA Credit Card account (Update Now) which I use to reconcile my account every week. Seems odd that Quicken can download individual transactions from this account but cannot retrieve a current bill. Hoping Quicken will get back with me soonest for some more troubleshooting. Will post any activity/results here.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have also been able to regularly download transactions from USAA Credit during this period of time.  As I said in my initial post, I have both a Bank and a Credit Union that offer bill retrieval as part of their own bill pay services.  Neither service can provide e-bills from USAA credit although I can use either service to make electronic payments to USAA.  So I think the real problem stems from Quicken's requirement that Quick Pay can only be used for online billers.  That certainly is not the case with other payment services.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    [Removed-Rant/Disruptive]
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @carlj07

Thank you for your patience thought out this issue, although I apologize that you have been unsuccessful with this USAA bill.

Please take a moment to navigate to Help > Report a Problem and include the biller "USAA" as well as the message: "Biller Added. Waiting for Update" will allow our teams to research this issue further.

I have taken the liberty of reviewing the online biller profile, and while I did not see any errors that would explain this situation I have gone ahead and reported this bill.

Please allow 48 hours before attempting to sync this bill once more.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    I reported my issue as Quicken Tyka described above. Will post here the results or any other troubleshooting steps.
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Tyka;

As instructed, I just attempted to update my USAA Credit Card bill after waiting another 48+ hours since my last attempt and I still get the pop-up window: "Biller added. Waiting for latest update." As I stated in my earlier post, I also followed your directions to submit a Help>Report A Problem from within Quicken concerning this issue.

Just an FYI - I can download transactions from my USAA credit card into Quicken via Update Now/One Step Update, so Quicken and USAA are playing nice there. Something is preventing Quicken from retrieving my USAA credit card bills, the latest which has been available for almost 2 weeks now on the USAA website?

Please let me know if there are any other troubleshooting steps you'd like me to try. I (and others) would like to get this issue resolved.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @carlj07

Thank you for the response and for reporting the problem.

I have received an update that the biller was missing information however they can see that the biller has been successfully connected, I have reported that the trouble continues to persist.

Please allow another 48 hours before attempting to update to allow time for this to be reviewed once more.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Tyka

As you instructed on Sept 4, I waited until today (Sept. 7) to update my USAA credit card bill in Quicken. Same issue still persits: "Biller added. Waiting for latest update."

Awaiting further guidance from you/Quicken? Thanks.
  • ddenucci
    ddenucci Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    [Removed-Off Topic/Speculation]
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @carlj07

Thank you for the response, although I apologize for the delay in following up. I have received an update from our service provider regarding USAA.

There have been intermittent issues with this biller however, the biller now shows as syncing successfully on your account.

Are you still experiencing any trouble or are you able to see a biller amount?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hello Quicken_Tyka;

I refreshed my USAA credit card bill on Saturday (9/12) and got the same result: "Biller added. Waiting for latest update." - and nothing was downloaded.

However, I just refreshed my USAA credit card bill today (9/14) and it downloaded 5 PDFs all dated 8-23-2020 (see attached image USAA Refresh Biller 9-14-2020), one of which was my most recent USAA credit card bill dated 8-23-2020. The other PDFs were not credit card related (2 were home/auto insurance related and the other 2 were old/dated general info statements).

It's interesting to note that I could not "view" my USAA credit card bill from within Quicken (click on View) but I could "view" the other 4 documents when I clicked on View. I was able to click on Download and download my USAA credit card statement and view it that way. Any explanation for that behavior?

Also, there is no USAA biller amount showing for the most recent USAA bill that was downloaded during the Refresh Bill (see attached image USAA Quicken Bills & Income).

One last issue with USAA is that they are not permitting scheduled payments using Quick Pay.

So it seems progress is being made, but there are still issues of not showing the USAA biller amount when Refresh Bill downloads a new bill. And of course not being able to schedule a future payment using Quick Pay.

Let me know if you need me to perform any other steps in troubleshooting these issues.

Thanks.
  • k3lavine
    k3lavine Member ✭✭
    I hesitate to post anything as I fear that I will be censored for being [Removed-disruptive] as I was on my August 27th post above. Wonder how long this post will last. As FYI, I gave up on paying USAA bills via QBM.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious about the Notice of Authorization shown in your screen shot.  When I made my one successful Quick Pay payment to USAA, I got an email notification from USAA about the payment account Quicken added to USAA to make the payment:

So, I would assume you will see something similar prior to your first Quick Pay payment.  My notice from USAA came the day before I got Quicken's notice of a successful payment.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    jrich75;

The Notice of Authorization in my screenshot had to do with recurring debits from my checking account for auto insurance - apparently USAA was upgrading their system to provide more details and how to view that info. BTW, that notice was dated Feb 19, 2020 - so it was very old news to me and not at all credit card bill related. I think this may also be a hint on why Quicken is having issues with USAA's credit card bill retrieval.

FYI - I did a Quick Pay to my USAA credit card to see if that worked - it did (except for the fact that USAA will not allow me to schedule a future payment using Quick Pay). I never received a notice from USAA such as yours after my Quick Pay was processed for USAA.
  • I have about four USAA accounts, including insurance bills. I've tried several times to create an online biller inside Quicken Bill Manager, and after entering all my USAA credentials, Quicken (or USAA) reports "Unable to add biller" and "Try again" for about two weeks now. Should I give up on using Quicken Bill Manager to pay USAA?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have.  My only successful Quick Pay to USAA was back in May.  Here's my earlier post about that.  It seems to me that USAA just doesn't work well with bill retrieval.
    I have only insurance and a credit card.  I auto pay the insurance with the USAA credit card so there is only one bill I need to pay.  It's easier to just pay it from my bank.
    I was able to add USAA Credit as a biller when I first set up Bill Manager.  I successfully paid one bill using Quick Pay.  After that, USAA never updated the bill again.  I tried to validate the biller without success.  After a couple months, I just deleted it as an online biller.  I've also noticed that my banks billpay system does not provide for bill retrieval from USAA.  I believe you are right that USAA does not support bill retrieval, at least from Quicken.

Quicken user since 1995
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Just an FYI - I received an email from USAA earlier this week announcing a "new logon experience" coming October 16. Perhaps this may also afford a solution to the issue of not being able to Refresh Bill without getting the message: "Biller added. Waiting for latest update." BTW, my new USAA credit card bill became available yesterday (Sep 19) on the USAA website and Quicken was unable to retrieve it.
    Quicken - any updates on your end with this issue?
  • carlj07
    carlj07 Member ✭✭
    Another update - Yesterday (Oct 1) I did a Refresh Bill for my USAA credit card account and it downloaded both my current USAA credit card bill and my USAA insurance bill. Both were dated Sept 27 in the Quicken Download Bill Statements window. It appears that although USAA publishes their bills shortly after the closing dates of the previous bills (about 3-4 weeks before the due date), Quicken doesn't/cannot retrieve them sooner than about 2 weeks prior even though the bill(s) are available on the USAA website sooner.

On another note, still having the issue of not being able to View the USAA credit card bill directly from the Quicken USAA Statements window - in order to view the bill, I must first download it and then open the PDF to view it. Will probably begin a separate thread on this issue if it persists.

And USAA still is restricting Quick Pay to today's date only - not able to schedule a payment.
This discussion has been closed.