Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Upgrading from Quicken 2002 Deluxe

I am currently running Quicken 2002 Deluxe on Windows 10 and would like to upgrade to the current version of Quicken. The problem is I would kind of like to start fresh but I don't want to loose everything previously recorded. Some things can go (old stock purchases, long gone assets, the kids old bank account records, etc.) and some things I want to keep ( the Ex wife's finance records (( in separate accounts from mine)) recently paid off or closed items). My question is can I run two versions of Quicken on one PC? Is it possible to pick pieces of 2002 into the current version or is there some way to archive or a way to "start fresh" without loosing or saving all the old data?

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You can have more than 1 data file so you can convert your file to the newer version and start a new file if you want.  

If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

If you need to convert to a newer version you need to go through one or more intermediate versions.  If you don't want to download or import transactions you can stick with Quicken 2013.  I'm using 2013.  It's the last good version before they started requiring an ID.

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.  2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bdmobius said:
    I am currently running Quicken 2002 Deluxe on Windows 10 and would like to upgrade to the current version of Quicken. The problem is I would kind of like to start fresh but I don't want to loose everything previously recorded. Some things can go (old stock purchases, long gone assets, the kids old bank account records, etc.) and some things I want to keep ( the Ex wife's finance records (( in separate accounts from mine)) recently paid off or closed items). My question is can I run two versions of Quicken on one PC? Is it possible to pick pieces of 2002 into the current version or is there some way to archive or a way to "start fresh" without loosing or saving all the old data?
    Hi @bdmobius ,

As long as you are dual-booting your computer or Laptop, you can leave Quicken 2002 installed in one partition and install Quicken Subscription in the other partition.

If you decide to go with just Quicken program, like Quicken Subscription, you will need to make Manual Backups of your Data File prior to starting, in case of problems.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.