2019 Deluxe QFX Import

I am transferring to a windows machine and wanted to continue using Quicken. I exported a QFX file to import into a new Windows account. My Investment accounts have all failed to import leaving out a tremendous amount of history and balances. Is there a specific way to export/import to retain my history?
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, that is one of the current limitations of the Quicken Windows QXF import, it doesn't support investment transactions.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ipevzner
    ipevzner Member
    Thank you. That seems like a pretty glaring omission. Is there any way to manually import? I'm not even talking about stock purchases or sales. simply holding funds in an investment account that gets transferred into checking. Alternatively, is there a way to sync my cloud account to my mac version and they download to pc?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is a glaring omission, but one that has been there from the day they put in the QXF import.

The history goes like this.  The QXF export in Quicken Windows was put in, in about the 2010 timeframe.  It was added for people moving from Quicken Windows to Quicken Essentials for Mac.  Quicken Essentials Mac didn't have support for investment accounts, so it is doubtful that there was any syntax/support for investment transactions in the QXF file at the time.

A while later a Mac SuperUser suggested that they put in an import for Quicken Windows and surprisingly they did it, and of course there wasn't any support for investment accounts.

Then then they started working on the "new Quicken Mac", which started with the Quicken Mac Essentials code, it of course over time got support for the investment accounts.  From what I understand it was the Mac group that took a version of Quicken Windows and hacked it to create a QXF export/converter program that eventually got support for investment accounts.  And a few years later that was merged back into the current Quicken Windows.  But since most of the demand for switching platforms was from Windows to Mac, and the Windows group seems to feel that it is that important, they have never extended the import to include this functionality.

I don't know of any workarounds for this problem (to transfer the transaction/holds).  In the Windows world a last resort would have been importing with a QIF file, but Quicken Mac doesn't support exporting a QIF file.  And the Quicken Cloud can't be used as a backup/restore (it doesn't even store investment transactions).

I just did a test and I see that the transfers in an out of an investment account do get recorded "properly" in the non investment account like this:

So if one only cared about the holdings you could put in buys for those using a cost average, and then maybe even search for the Unspecified Account and fix those transfers, and finally make any kind of balance adjustment in the investment accounts as needed.

Sorry, but that is about all I can see to suggest.
    Signature:
  • Don B
    Don B Member ✭✭
    Using Quicken HBR (by subscription); Windows 10

Direct connect to mutual fund company (Capital Group-American Funds) can only download last three years. I can get an .xls download of the entire account history from the mutual fund.

Is there no way to convert the .xls to QFX and import older transactions? I found the ImportQIF utility (http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/) and all looked promising until trying to find the Financial Institution ID.

If the fidir.txt file containing Financial Institution ID is no longer a client side file, is this no longer an option to covert and import? So the only option is calculate average cost per share or manually enter missing transactions?

Add me to the list of users who would like to see this functionality restored.

Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don B said:

The functionality has never existed in Quicken Windows.  At the time that they put in the importing of a QXF, it was for Quicken Essentials for Mac, which didn't have investment accounts.  And they have never updated it as Quicken Mac matured.

Don B said:
    Using Quicken HBR (by subscription); Windows 10

Direct connect to mutual fund company (Capital Group-American Funds) can only download last three years. I can get an .xls download of the entire account history from the mutual fund.

Is there no way to convert the .xls to QFX and import older transactions? I found the ImportQIF utility (http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/) and all looked promising until trying to find the Financial Institution ID.

If the fidir.txt file containing Financial Institution ID is no longer a client side file, is this no longer an option to covert and import? So the only option is calculate average cost per share or manually enter missing transactions?

Thanks.

@Don B You can convert to QIF and import that into Quicken which should work just as well as importing a QFX file.  Maybe even better since it sounds like you have already imported some transactions into an account.  The QFX file you generate most likely will have some details like the account number different, and as such Quicken will not want to import that QFX file into your existing account without deactivating downloading in that account first.  QIF on the other hand is imported just by the account name.

But if you still want to go the QFX route, the fidir.txt is still there it various sub directories based on the date/version of your Quicken or under UNZIP or in the fidir.zip:
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist

Note that ProgramData is hidden folder so you have to set the option in File Explorer under View to view hidden folders.

You can also find it here:
    https://ofx-prod-filist.intuit.com/qw2800/data/fidir.txt
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW since the title mentions "QFX" I will point out that the file that converts from Mac to Windows is a QXF file.  A QFX file is one that you get from a financial institution for importing transactions.  They are so close they are confused all the time.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    ipevzner said:
    I am transferring to a windows machine and wanted to continue using Quicken.
    What exactly are you transferring FROM - since you don't mention that -
    and have used both of the Q F X letters - just mixed -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Don B
    Don B Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW said:
    @Don B You can convert to QIF and import that into Quicken which should work just as well as importing a QFX file.  Maybe even better since it sounds like you have already imported some transactions into an account.  The QFX file you generate most likely will have some details like the account number different, and as such Quicken will not want to import that QFX file into your existing account without deactivating downloading in that account first.  QIF on the other hand is imported just by the account name.

Thanks @Chris_QPW. This was a very helpful suggestion. I've ignored many of Placeholder Entries for the beginning share balance of investments made before I started using Quicken in 2009. As I start planning for distributions in retirement, that cost history is important for a more accurate picture of tax consequences. I was able to use the ImportQIF app to convert the downloaded .xlsx file and successfully import old transaction history into a test data set (Another great tip picked up from the community!). Fingers crossed this will go as well in my real QDATA.