Quicken 2017 H&B freezes on startup

Tried reading other posts related to this, but none of them apply. 3 days ago, Quicken suddenly failed to open with freezing. I see the File and Help menu (like you see when there's no file open), but it appears to faded out (like it's background, but there's no foreground window).
- Can't close it or click anywhere inside the window (hear beeps, like it's not in focus). Interestingly enough, I can close the invisible foreground/modal window via alt-f4, then I get a prompt to open a file (??!!). Alternatively, I can use hold ctrl-shift then launch the app.
- Ran 'validate' on this and the other file I use, neither have errors, but even after opening file, then closing and re-opening Quicken, same problem

Best Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    That's a Quicken Subscription patch. Scroll down to Quicken 2017.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • danno3
    danno3 Member
    Accepted Answer
    Apparently, a 2nd round of running ccleaner and chkdsk seems to have fixed the problem, even though chkdsk reported '...scanned the file system and found no problems', although it did find 'cleaning up 132...<index entries, unused security descriptors, etc>'. Que the Led Zeppelin tune 'Dazed and Confused' :)

Never had to uninstall/reinstall, but wanted to try the ccleaner/chkdsk one more time prior to doing that.

Answers

• danno3
    danno3 Member
    One other thing, after getting File Open dialog (after using alt-f4 as described above), if I open the any file, same problem. If I <esc> out of the dialog, I can successfully open a file.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @danno3,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you are still needing assistance, please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

First, I'd suggest performing a clean reinstall of the latest release by following the steps outlined here.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Natalie

• danno3
    danno3 Member
    I have a few questions about reinstalling Quicken (I checked the link you provided and no info is provided other than how to download and run the tool):
    1) Will it retain my settings, preferences, etc. when I uninstall/reinstall via this tool?
    2) Is this a trap, since Quicken has recently disabled all support or updates for Quicken 2017? Once I reinstall from the original installation CD (which will install the base version of 2017), I won't get any of the intermediate updates to the app that have occurred over the last few years?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @danno3

Thank you for the response and the additional question.

You are able to install patches and bring your 2017 version update using the patches from this user-maintained source:

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html.

The 2017 version has been discontinued and is no longer supported, therefore Quicken does not keep or provide additional patches, resources, or support for discontinued products.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • danno3
    danno3 Member
    I have version R20.5, build 26.1.20.5, but when I try to find the closest link available that matches my version (their link '20.15'), it points to 27.1.20.15MPatch.exe which doesn't appear to match my version or build.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    R20.5 is the latest patch for Quicken 2017. Where are you finding 27.1.20.15MPatch.exe?
  • danno3
    danno3 Member
    The link provided in the post from Quicken_Tyka above. The link labelled '20.15' in the long list of links for different Quicken versions.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Accepted Answer
    That's a Quicken Subscription patch. Scroll down to Quicken 2017.
  • danno3
    danno3 Member
    No. The link is on this page: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html and I'm looking at the link labelled '20.15' in the long list of older patches.
  • danno3
    danno3 Member
    Please disregard my last comment just above - I did find Quicken 2017 in the list and downloaded it. Will give it a try.
  • danno3
    danno3 Member
    Accepted Answer
    Apparently, a 2nd round of running ccleaner and chkdsk seems to have fixed the problem, even though chkdsk reported '...scanned the file system and found no problems', although it did find 'cleaning up 132...<index entries, unused security descriptors, etc>'. Que the Led Zeppelin tune 'Dazed and Confused' :)

Never had to uninstall/reinstall, but wanted to try the ccleaner/chkdsk one more time prior to doing that.
This discussion has been closed.