Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

One Step Update Modifies Existing Transaction with the Wrong Check Number

R28.18
Ongoing One Step Update problem with downloading Bank Account transactions that contains a mix of hand written checks numbers and Online banking transactions.
I do not pre-enter checks in Quicken from my manual check register but allow the manual checks to download from my Bank when cleared. One step Update will occasionally pick a previously downloaded transaction for the same $ amount and plug the new check number into that older transaction and then fail to download the new correct transaction. This results in my having to fix the old transaction and also manually add the correct transaction with its check number into Quicken.
This is not a new problem, I have had this problem in previous versions of Quicken but I write few handwritten checks. However, this has resurfaced as an irritant because government entities without online or credit card payment options require small $ amount checks for documentation services.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020 Accepted Answer
    As you are entering other transactions, you may want to consider entering the check transactions.  When Quicken mismatches an imported transaction, I suggest you unmatch the transaction.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/handling-downloaded-transactions
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well one thing that hit me is that most likely you are handling the problem incorrectly which leads to problems later on.

At one time the check number was a major matching factor and Quicken would never do what it is doing know match/change a different check number, but as people stopped using physical checks Quicken was changed where the check number field is only now used as a "suggestion" to matching and not an "absolute".

But the reason I said that it is your handling of the transactions is because of how Quicken determines if it should match a transaction or not.

The primary rule is "any transaction that hasn't been downloaded is up for matching".
    In other words the only transactions that aren't on the list are previously downloaded transactions.

You said:
    "This results in my having to fix the old transaction and also manually add the correct transaction with its check number into Quicken."

How did you fix it?
    If you delete the downloaded transaction and enter a new transaction, you have just set that transaction up for a possible match with a future downloaded transaction.

In theory if all you have in the register is downloaded transactions (even if you have changed them in someway) then there shouldn't be any way Quicken will match the transaction.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ewingmike
    ewingmike Member
    Thanks Sherlock. The link you included made me rethink my process of accepting downloaded transactions. I have over the years gotten careless and cavalier about routinely just accepting "all" of the downloaded transactions. I will more skeptically review these in the future.

Also thanks to Chris_QPW for your insightful post. You did ask how I "fixed" the old transaction. By blithely accepting without review the new check number transaction that Quicken thought it found a match for, the new transaction was dropped. My "fix" was to remove the erroneous check number from the existing transaction and verify the other fields remained correct. Then as a second step manually add the new check number transaction and verify that the running balance matched that from my bank.
This discussion has been closed.