Hundreds of duplicate transactions after OSU - again!

Dave1234
Dave1234 Member ✭✭
I was a an unfortunate recipient of numerous duplicate transactions after OSU with 28.16 (see https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879379/todays-update-cause-old-reconciled-transaction-to-be-duplicated-in-several-accounts). Reverting back to 28.10 and restoring a backup fixed that problem.

With discussion in that thread noting that 28.18 fixed the problem, I upgraded to 28.18, and things seemed fine.

Today, after running OSU, again, I literally have HUNDREDS of duplicate transactions - spread over many accounts (all are EWC, none are direct connect). Amazingly, one of the accounts with duplicate transactions is set up for EWC but was UNCHECKED for updates - how did any transactions end up in this account that had no transactions downloaded?

There's no way to (easily) differentiate between the duplicates - they are completely identical. Same payee, usually the same category (but transfers are to "[unspecified account]"), and astonishingly, and their status (new/cleared/reconciled) is the same too, and they're automatically added to my registers. There's no column to sort by that will separate them. Someone had mentioned a "downloaded date" column that could be added - that doesn't seem to exist. In fact, one of my accounts that has one future transaction scheduled (next month) now has THREE of those listed in the register.

In short - running OSU turned my very accurate accounting into a complete and total mess. Again.

Quicken - you said you fixed this in 28.18. Obviously, you didn't. I guess I'll be restoring from a backup and going back to 28.10.

Please let us know when this huge bug will actually be fixed.

Answers

• pnwoldie
    pnwoldie Member ✭✭
    I also have duplicated transactions again from my Credit Union. I had worked around it by clicking the large "accept" button at the bottom of the screen instead of the small one directly beneath the transaction. But now that workaround has failed.

It doesn't even put the duplicates in the correct account or category. It takes me significant time to log into all my accounts and check balances, then delete the incorrect transactions. If I have to do this, I might as well create and manually update my own spreadsheet.

I am not interested in restoring to old versions or applying special patches. If there is no workaround, I'll have to reluctantly abandon Quicken.
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    To be clear - none of these transactions I mentioned showed up in the bottom "downloaded transactions" window. There were no transactions to accept (as usual - I always have to accept them). They were entered AUTOMATICALLY into the registers of six different accounts, including one account that I did not download any transactions for.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are getting a Quicken Cloud sync, as in from Quicken Mobile/Web of those transactions.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > It sounds like you are getting a Quicken Cloud sync, as in from Quicken Mobile/Web of those transactions.

I have never used Quicken Cloud, Quicken Mobile, or Quicken Web. Not entirely sure what any of those are or what they do, nor am I interested in them. I've been using Quicken as a Windows application since ~1995.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave1234 said:
    I have never used Quicken Cloud, Quicken Mobile, or Quicken Web. Not entirely sure what any of those are or what they do, nor am I interested in them. I've been using Quicken as a Windows application since ~1995.
    Are you sure that Cloud Sync is off? It's very easy to miss the "Sync: On / Off" option when registering a data file to your Quicken ID.
    Please review Edit / Preferences / Mobile & Web.

After restoring your data file from a known good backup I recommend you run Step (2) of Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems to ensure that your data file is in good working order.

• pnwoldie
    pnwoldie Member ✭✭
    It's annoying when an obvious bug has resurfaced, reported by multiple users, and the poster is brushed off with a recommendation to supply a different file, do research, and perform a long series of text instructions to what will probably be no avail whatsoever. It reminds me of the early days of cable when the isp would have an outage and users would be instructed to clear their browser cache.
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Are you sure that Cloud Sync is off? It's very easy to miss the "Sync: On / Off" option when registering a data file to your Quicken ID.Please review Edit / Preferences / Mobile & Web.
    > After restoring your data file from a known good backup I recommend you run Step (2) of Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems to ensure that your data file is in good working order.

While I appreciate the reply, these "it's probably your fault or your data file and not the application" suggestions are not helpful.

1. Yes, it's off.
    2. I've validated and super-validated my data file. It's fine. Went through this nonsense repeatedly when trying to diagnose the problem originally.

Quicken's apparent acknowledgement of this issue in 28.16, and the fix in 28.18, as noted in this forum (link in my original post in this thread) certainly seems to point to a software problem.
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    > @pnwoldie said:
    > Another thread on this issue:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877356/duplicate-downloaded-entries-after-r27-24-build-27-1-27-24/p1

Not really. At least that guy has duplicate transactions he can accept or delete. In my instance (and the problem that surfaced a few weeks ago), the transactions are all entered into the registers. Even for an account that I didn't download transactions for!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dave1234 said:

While I appreciate the reply, these "it's probably your fault or your data file and not the application" suggestions are not helpful.

I hope my statement didn't sound like that.

Even if you had cloud sync on, it still isn't suppose to do that, it would still be a bug, not your fault.

What I was "searching for" is a "trigger/what's different" about the way you are using Quicken, because even though you and others are getting this problem there is also a large percentage of people like me that haven't seen the problem.

And it would be nice to know what the "trigger" is since it might help others avoid it or the developers getting this fixed.

And thinking about what puts transactions into the register bypassing the Downloaded Transactions tab, well cloud sync does that, so it messing up was one possibility.

BTW I would bet this isn't something like "automatic transaction entry mode" getting turned on.  First off it wouldn't cause duplicates and second you would see a status column that have a status like New with a blue dot, which I doubt is there.

I do know that importing transactions using QIF has the same affect of going straight into the register with no regard for what is already there and the status (no processing a all).  But of course this isn't that.

On the Downloaded posting date.
    Click on the lower gear icon in the register.  Note that if you are in two column mode you will need to turn on the Downloaded reference column too to see it.

But I'm not sure if that will help because you would expect the posting date to stay the same.  As in this is the date that the financial institution gave to that transaction, and if it was sent twice and made it into the register it should be the same one.

If the Status column is in the list of the columns to turn on (it may not be) I suggest turning it on, that might help, but the more I think of it what you really want it to change the sort order.

Click on the top gear icon and select:
    Sorting options -> by Order Entered

That should put all the "new/duplicate" transactions at the end of the register grouped together.
    Signature:
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    I spun up a clean Windows 7 virtual machine (I have a template, so easy) and installed a fresh copy of Quicken, which immediately updated itself to 28.18. I then copied over my QDATA file from a couple days ago and ran OSU. The bug reappears.

It's notable that OSU takes a LONG time (many minutes) - the quicken Window is locked. Popups happen during the OSU, wanting to confirm some currency transfers and some matching transactions ("Is this existing transaction... the same as the transfer you just entered...?") and then hangs for a long time, with relatively high CPU.

@Chris_QPW suggests to "Sort By Order Entered" - this DOES in fact work to help identify the dupes. It puts all the duplicate transactions at the end - I've literally got pages of them in my PayPal account going back to 2017. Deleting them all and the account is back to where it should be.

That's hardly a "fix" though.

The good (?!) news is that I can replicate this behavior consistently.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dave1234 said:

The good (?!) news is that I can replicate this behavior consistently.
    You might consider sending a bug report with a sanitized copy of your data file (Help -> Report a problem).  That might help them find to source of the problem.

I know the in the threads it has been said that the developers know what is causing the problem, but it has also been said that the patch release fixes it, and clearly that isn't true.
    Signature:
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > (Quote)
    > You might consider sending a bug report with a sanitized copy of your data file (Help -> Report a problem).  That might help them find to source of the problem.
    >
    > I know the in the threads it has been said that the developers know what is causing the problem, but it has also been said that the patch release fixes it, and clearly that isn't true.

At this point, I guess there's no harm in doing that. Although I seriously wonder if they'd even see it. My gut tells me that the only way to really get traction on this is if someone from Quicken sees this thread, or if I actually contact support and get someone who doesn't give me the usual nonsense ("your file is corrupt", "time to start fresh", etc etc etc)
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    Got an alert that 28.23 is out. In its list of fixes...

"Issue in which users who have cloud sync turned off were getting partial synchronization run during a scheduled update. This sometimes resulted in duplicate transactions."

So that sounds like my problem exactly - except I'm not using scheduled updates.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dave1234 said:

So that sounds like my problem exactly - except I'm not using scheduled updates.
    Well the way scheduled updates work is they have Quicken separated into two parts.  The main GUI and then the "guts" that do all the work.  And for the scheduled updates instead of starting the GUI they start a "console" program that in turn calls the "guts" that do the work of running an update.

The bottom line is that it is the "guts" backend that is doing the update in both cases so it is perfectly reasonable that there are other possible flows (other than scheduled updates) that trigger the same thing.
    Signature:
  • pnwoldie
    pnwoldie Member ✭✭
    The update seems to have fixed my problem, which was duplicate transactions in normal One Step Updates. At least if I click the big Accept button. Haven't tested other use cases.
  • Dave1234
    Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Currently running R28.24.

I just ran an OSU on an account that I don't normally update - it's a savings account that posts interest once a month, and not much else, so it's not worth having it part of my daily updates.

Got three duplicate transactions (a transfer to an "Unknown" account [which actually does match a transfer, but this is how they come in] and two interest payments) from the past few months. At least this time they were obvious and easily identified. As before, they loaded into the account immediately (not as 'downloaded' transactions waiting to be accepted, like my end-of-month interest payment was), and were marked as "Reconciled".

THIS PROBLEM IS STILL NOT FIXED.