Updating and File Issues

This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken 2017 H&B freezes on startup.

Comments

• jlorange
    jlorange Member
    always some kind of issue with this now. won't start, won't update, updates and zeros all account balances, transactions incorrect. when I get quicken to start, i usually have to update twice to get all transactions and accounts updated
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jlorange

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Please include any error messages you have received as well.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Hello, version info below.
    year: 2020
    version: R28.24
    build: 27.1.28.24

no error message, AT ALL
    one step update executes like all is normal but most, if not all, account balances will be zero. I execute one step update again and usually everything goes to normal. Sometimes I have to close Quicken, wait for a bit to make sure it is completely closed, reopen and execute an update, then it will be correct.
    Happens intermittently so I never know what I'm going to get.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @jlorange

Thank you for providing those additional details.  As the update works correctly on the second attempt, I'd like to dig into this a little further and I apologize, but I have some additional questions for you.

Where is your Quicken data file saved?  
    Do you use the Scheduled Updates feature at all?
    Do you typically close Quicken every day? Or do you keep Quicken open all the time?
    How long exactly has this behavior been happening?
    If it is recently, were any windows updates installed?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Hello Sarah,
    It appears the daily file is stored on an external hard drive. In the location where I back up my files on occasion. I thought the daily file was stored in the quicken folder in C:/program files (x86) but I don't see it there. That is the QDATA11.QDF file, correct?

I do not use Scheduled Updates. I do the One Step Update, usually every morning.

I leave Quicken open all the time. Have been doing so for years. Just always seemed faster as when I open Quicken it takes a long time before it's ready to use... minutes anyway, which seems like a long time.
    new glitch this morning, No response when I clicked on items in the Menu Bar (Investing) or anything else, or when I tried the Menu at the top of the screen (File). Had to close and reopen... which reminds me. I did an update before I closed and accepted the transactions. When I closed and reopened, those transactions were gone and I had to update again. As a check, I closed and reopened again and the transactions were saved the second time.

I would have to say this specific behavior has been going on at least since I accepted the inevitable and paid for a subscription. Maybe it started when I updated to the latest version before I started the subscription, I don't recall exactly.

As for Windows updates? Windows updates constantly! Seems at the very least I'm updating one a week!

I appreciate your follow up and I will try to be more diligent in responding to the questions.

Thank You,
    Jim O.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try moving your Quicken data file to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken. Also, it's not a good idea to leave Quicken open all the time since it's an open database and a Windows crash could cause corruption.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10