Use TAB key to scroll through all the fields in a transaction including date year, month and day

Actually, you have to use RIGHT ARROW to move from Year to Month to Day, then TAB to move from payee and amount, etc.

It would make more sense to simply use TAB everywhere. Year TAB Month TAB Day TAB Payee TAB... so forth. Followed by ENTER to commit the transaction in the register.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you're not aware of it, Option-Tab* already does what you want to move through year-month-day subsections of the date field. 

I actually wouldn't like having Tab move through year-month-day because I like to have one-key that jumps to the next field instead of needed to do three keystrokes to advance to the next field. 

*Unrelated to the date field, but here's another little-known trick with Option-Tab: when you're in the Payee field entering a transaction, pressing Option-Tab will move to the next field WITHOUT auto-filling any other fields either from past history or Quickfill rules. It's a quick override to create a blank transaction for the Payee you selected.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me as a Quicken for Windows user, the following works very well when working with Date fields in Quicken:

Assuming today's date, May 7th, 2020, is displayed in the date field and you are using standard US - style dates ...

• Typing 0501 gives 5/1/2020 (type it with leading zeros for month and day)
    • Typing 123019 gives 12/30/2019 (no slashes required)
    • Typing 12011999 gives 12/01/1999 (again, no slashes required)
    No cumbersome navigation from month to day to year is required. Just type away and let the program logic move from field to field as you type.
    I always thought the same would work for Quicken Mac ... does it?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @UKR  No, Quicken Mac does not allow entry of 6 or 8 digits in a date field; you actually have to move between the sub-fields manually by typing a slash or using Option-Tab or Right-Arrow. It's annoying -- unlike just about every other application with date fields. I think a developer once explained that it has something to do with using macOS to manage/validate date entry.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information, @jacobs
    In a word ... that sucks!
    I'd rather this Idea was changed to make Date entry in Q Mac smarter, similar to Q Windows.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of user votes/comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja