Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Mutual Fund Quotes Delayed/Not Updating

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
  • Myron0
    Myron0 Member ✭✭
    Vanguard funds are not updating
  • ddobby001
    ddobby001 Member
    if you use yahoo portfolios you can export a csv file and import the prices into Quicken
    a work around until the problem is fixed by Quicken.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Sherlock! Happy it's a known issue at least. I subscribed to the other thread.
  • JayR
    JayR Member
    With due respect, the provider hasn’t updated quotes for a week?

In addition, if an
    organization hides behind their policy like you pointed out, they won’t be in business long. Q has not posted this as a third party issue. The business world is full of third party issues.
  • Thanks, but it din't help me/ I was downloading daily until Tuesday the 25th. the night before they did the maintenance. I assumed it would be fixed by Wednesday morning , like after a reboot....not since then has it worked the same day..... I have had problems before. When it first started happened, I noticed the threads here, but nothing on my dates....I have always believed the problem could be fixed if quicken people noticed the issue when they download when we do.... I am about to give up, which leaves me not tracking my investments in one place
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I sent a complaint to Office of the President earlier today to confirm they know about this issue at the the top of the organization - they do.  No update, but they know. 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JayR said:
    With due respect, the provider hasn’t updated quotes for a week?

In addition, if an
    organization hides behind their policy like you pointed out, they won’t be in business long. Q has not posted this as a third party issue. The business world is full of third party issues.
    If the provider hasn’t updated quotes for a week, you have a different issue.  In my experience, the quotes from the third-party provider have updated and only the mutual fund update is late.

Also, Quicken has acknowledged the issue.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879628/updated-8-27-20-mutual-fund-quotes-delayed-or-fail-to-update#latest
  • JayR
    JayR Member
    I think you need to review comprehensively the issue and your comments.

You wrote, “This is not a Quicken issue. The Quicken program obtains quotes from a third-party service provider. Recently, the quote service provider has been late providing the daily mutual fund update.”

You then you acknowledge it is a Quicken issue on the last comment. “ Also, Quicken has acknowledged the issue. If you haven't already, you may want to review: ...” you can’t have it both ways.

Even if the provider is late, the program should update. Unfortunately, other users are experiencing similar problems over an extended period of time.

First, whoever the software analyst is and his/her team is, needs to break the issue down through deductive and not inductive reasoning.

Second, through logical deduction, one should be able to backtrack to the last 2-3 patches and/or upgrades. We already know of a major upgrade two days ago which surely has compounded the problem. Unfortunately, as more customers upgrade, we’ll see more complaints.

Third. there should be a software test bed that “holds” the last upgrades and patches to figure out where the problem lies.

Frankly, I would like to see what IT processes and procedures are followed in testing and rollout. Specifically, what standards are followed, such as ITIL, Six Sigma, etc. and how resources are deployed in solving these issues and how elevated.

I would suspect these upgrades go out to all Quicken users. Is it possible to do a phased rollout via licensing?

In the IT world, uptime is critical. Subscriptions are becoming critical revenue of corporations. You subscribe to receive a service. And you pay for the service.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    JayR said:
    I think you need to review comprehensively the issue and your comments. 
    I think you may want to watch your tone before a moderator takes notice.

You wrote, “This is not a Quicken issue. The Quicken program obtains quotes from a third-party service provider. Recently, the quote service provider has been late providing the daily mutual fund update.”
    Correct.

You then you acknowledge it is a Quicken issue on the last comment. “ Also, Quicken has acknowledged the issue. If you haven't already, you may want to review: ...” you can’t have it both ways. 
    Yes. I can...

Quicken acknowledged reporting the delayed mutual fund quote issue to the third-party quote service provider where the third-party quote service provider will investigate the third-party quote service issue.   

Even if the provider is late, the program should update. Unfortunately, other users are experiencing similar problems over an extended period of time.
    The program does eventually update the mutual fund price quotes.  Again, if you're not receiving any mutual fund quote updates, you have a different issue.  

Here's an analogy:  A television program whose broadcast is later than expected.  You're saying the problem is with the television.  Also, consider the broadcaster may not broadcast the program until the program is received, ...

First, whoever the software analyst is and his/her team is, needs to break the issue down through deductive and not inductive reasoning.

Second, through logical deduction, one should be able to backtrack to the last 2-3 patches and/or upgrades. We already know of a major upgrade two days ago which surely has compounded the problem. Unfortunately, as more customers upgrade, we’ll see more complaints.

Third. there should be a software test bed that “holds” the last upgrades and patches to figure out where the problem lies. 
    Frankly, I would like to see what IT processes and procedures are followed in testing and rollout. Specifically, what standards are followed, such as ITIL, Six Sigma, etc. and how resources are deployed in solving these issues and how elevated.

I would suspect these upgrades go out to all Quicken users. Is it possible to do a phased rollout via licensing?
    Quicken does perform a phased rollout of releases usually after beta tests.  For example, presently R28.18 is the latest release and R28.23 is a staged release.  Staged releases are distributed to increasingly larger numbers of Quicken users if no significant issues are reported to Quicken Support.
    In the IT world, uptime is critical. Subscriptions are becoming critical revenue of corporations. You subscribe to receive a service. And you pay for the service.
    Note: The issue is impacting all Quicken users expecting their mutual fund price quotes from the third-party provider to arrive earlier.
  • JayR
    JayR Member
    Unfortunately, users are experiencing issues with the staged release as expressed by the community inputs. Thus, causative faults is still an issue and needs improvement.

An IEEE SFI approach might recommend the use of a network community clustering algorithm to isolate faults into separate fault-focused communities, each targeting a single fault. These fault-focused communities will be given to developers to debug the faults simultaneously in parallel. The method is based on Siemens test suite benchmark. The community clustering algorithm is relatively effective in isolating different faults.

Ultimately in these releases, we want results to show improvement in terms of reducing the expense to produce a failure-free programs and a reduction in client/customer disruptions.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: UPDATED 8/27/20 Mutual Fund Quotes Delayed or Fail to Update.
  • My Quicken is valid till May11, 2022 but I can't download stock market updates. Why?
    How do I fix the problem?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Which version are you using?  Starter version does not include that functionality.  You need to be subscribed to Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business so you would need to upgrade if you are using Starter.
    If you are using one of these 3 versions that allows for investments tracking, the first place I'd check is the Securities List to see if the securities are checked for download.
    The second place I'd check is One Step Update Settings to make sure the box is checked for Download quotes and investment information.
    Does this resolve your issue?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.19 on Windows 10)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which securities are you not able to download?

There is an ongoing issue with mutual funds posting late: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879628/updated-8-27-20-mutual-fund-quotes-delayed-or-fail-to-update#latest
  • dryfork
    dryfork Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    This has been going on far too long. There's no reason why mutual fund quotes can't be updated by 7pm, you knew how to do it before, what is the problem?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879628/updated-8-27-20-mutual-fund-quotes-delayed-or-fail-to-update#latest

The quotes are provided by a third-party service provider.  Quicken first raised the issue to the provider on August 19th, escalated the issue on August 21st, and re-escalated on August 24th.

To work around the issue, consider using a Google sheet.  For example:

When we download the Google sheet as a CSV file, the file is formatted appropriately for import into Quicken:

To learn more about Google sheets, I suggest you review: https://www.google.com/sheets/about/

• dryfork
    dryfork Member ✭✭
    Thank you Drinkingbird, agree. I don't pay for quicken to have to create a new spreadsheet of dozens of stock symbols (that may change frequently) to fix an issue that a company the size of Quicken should have solved in a day, and definitely not have had twice within a month. Your user base is in the millions and you have the market power to get your third party to jump.
  • doran0
    doran0 Member
    I agree with the above two comments for sure - but I also greatly appreciate the suggestion to use the GOOGLEFINANCE function in a spreadsheet. This will save me a fair amount of time if the problem doesn't get fixed right away.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock ... To work around the issue, consider using a Google sheet.  For example:

tnx - will have to try that with Google Sheets & the GoogleFinance function
    I have a portfolio created over on Yahoo Finance, and have exported those entries.

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    To work around the issue, consider using a Google sheet.  For example:......
    FYI - just tried this .... interesting results... tried it tonight - 8/31 -
    I used just one of my holdings - TRowe Health Sciences - PRHSX
    Yahoo finance AND the TRowe website have the price at 91.53
    Google finance, and therefore GoogleFinance function have the price at 90.38 -
    ... which is from closing 8/28

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    Sherlock said:
    To work around the issue, consider using a Google sheet.  For example:......
    FYI - just tried this .... interesting results... tried it tonight - 8/31 -
    I used just one of my holdings - TRowe Health Sciences - PRHSX
    Yahoo finance AND the TRowe website have the price at 91.53
    Google finance, and therefore GoogleFinance function have the price at 90.38 -
    ... which is from closing 8/28

If Yahoo Finance is receiving the mutual fund quote updates sooner than Google Finance, you may export a Yahoo Finance Portfolio as a CSV file: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln15034.html
  • bcohen0
    bcohen0 Member ✭✭
    1. Some Mutual funds within Fidelity accounts aren't updating anymore. I've had to resort to putting in quotes for myself. Examples of mutual funds which are the latest to fail to update are FSMEX, VTWNX , VFIAX. Is Fidelity having problems, or is it Quicken?
  • Snoopy75209
    Snoopy75209 Member ✭✭
    it has been a week with this issue with no resolution. It cannot be that hard or can it?
  • I've been having the same problem. I've been manually updating them for over a week.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2020
    Per "Fidelity Monitor & Insight", my advisor for my Fidelity fund holdings, Fidelity THEMSELVES have been late in providing quotes.
    I don't know about other fund companies ... but, at least for FIDO funds ... it's NOT Q's fault.
    See the "Daily Performance Update Delays" at the top of this page: https://www.fmandi.com/

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.