Why is this still an issue? - Could not parse the URL "%updatepath%/wyserver.wys" -

For the past 4 days, I have been effectively locked out of my Quicken account because of this error message:

Could not parse the URL "%updatepath%/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol.

This error is not new to Quicken. There are threads from 2018 and 2019 describing the problem and workarounds. However, my username does NOT contain a blank, so that workaround won't help.

More broadly, why hasn't Quicken fixed this issue? Forcing someone to change their username can create much broader issues for such users. And just because I can't reach a Quicken server, is that a justification for me not being able to write checks or balance a checking or credit card account?

Are there additional workarounds?
Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to reinstall an older version of Quicken from a CD or saved downloaded installation file?
    If so, the problem is within the installation program itself causing a typo when creating a command line containing a file name with an embedded blank as part of the Windows User Account name, "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    To solve this installation file problem you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    I am not trying to install an older version of Quicken.

I'm trying to start my existing install of Quicken, which worked fine until a few days ago. That install automatically installs new updates from Quicken.

And I'll repeat what I wrote earlier. This problem was identified two years ago.

It is clearly an issue unique to Quicken, and is the result of poor programming. Quicken needs to fix this issue, and not put the onus on its paying customers to waste time with a clumsy workaround.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell me the exact path name that is used on your system for the files belonging to your Windows User Account.
    Is it, e.g., C:\Users\John Doe\Documents\... with a blank space between John and Doe
    or is it, e.g., C:\Users\John\Documents\... with no blank space.
    What version of Windows are you using?
    Unlike older versions, recent versions of Windows, AFAIK, only create a simple path name with no embedded space when creating a new Windows User Account. So, if your path contains an embedded blank space, the only quick way to get up and running again is to create a new Admin user account.
    I concur, this problem should have been fixed by Quicken long ago, when we first encountered this issue. But, apparently the multiple discussions on this issue have fallen on deaf ears at Quicken.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    The path to my Quicken Account is D:\2020\Quicken. I believe that all user data should be on a different logical drive than c:\, which I use just for Windows and program installations and configuration data.

I'm using Win 10 Pro 64, version 1909, with all MS patches applied. So far MS has not offered me the upgrade to 2004 but I'm OK with that.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    Ooops. the "C" followed by the ":" got interpreted as an emoji. Ooops.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    Scratch that. It was "D" followed by the ":"
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was not asking about the path to your Quicken data file. That's not the problem.
    The path used by the installation process follows the Windows standards for files belonging to your Windows User Account, e.g., documents, pictures, videos, music, appdata and temp files.
    For example,
    C:\Users\Phil Burton\AppData\Local\Temp\%updatepath%/wyserver.wys
    will not parse properly due to the embedded blank in the name and a set of missing double quotes in the installation process.
    Creating a new Windows User Account so that the path to the account's user files is C:\Users\Phil\... instead of C:\Users\Phil Burton\... is the easiest and fastest way to eliminate this problem. 

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry I misunderstood. My users path is C:\Users\phil\AppData\Local\Temp. No spaces in this path, so the "eliminate blanks in the path" fix didn't apply.

Your earlier post gave me an idea. I _uninstalled_ the program installation using REVO PRO Uninstaller, which cleans up all the detritus left behind by the typical installer. REVO removed 3 keys with 51 values, 23 folders with 59 files for 13.9 MB. Then I did a clean install using the Windows version I just now downloaded from the website.

That worked. Quicken is functional again. At least for now. It is inexcusable that Quicken hasn't fixes this error once and for all. The fact that it was apparently fixed, but they re-appeared again, that's just poor software quality assurance, and Quicken needs to do better.

Given that I have multiple Windows systems, all registered with MS on one account, the last thing I want to do is mess with the user name.
This discussion has been closed.