latest version already installed

Quicken is confused about the availability of a version update.
When I run One-Step-Update, it ends with the summary popup with the only error "A free update to Quicken is available for download." Pressing "Download Update" responds with "Latest version already installed". The newest update listed is R28.18, and I am running R28.18.
This just started happening again today. It also happened a couple weeks ago, then stopped. Please fix the version recognition, and solve this minor annoyance.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    New versions get rolled out to the first 20k users... and then pauses for reactions.
    So - sometimes you may get caught in that window, where it thinks there is a new version - and maybe at that original point you were one of the 20k - but now, that number has been reached, and the new version is no longer officially avail -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    R28.18 is the latest version.
    R28.23 is currently a staged version.

When Quicken has a new release, they allow a limited number of users to update from within Quicken.  If there are no significant issues reported, they'll allow the additional users to update within Quicken, ...  When they're sufficiently convinced the release is good enough, the release will be tagged as the latest version.  Otherwise, the staged release is pulled and a new release will be staged in an attempt to resolve the issues.
  • tgrantdavis
    tgrantdavis Windows Beta Beta
    It is nice that you have a process for testing and releasing. Please figure out how to avoid these errors for those who do not have the staged version available.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It is nice that you have a process for testing and releasing. Please figure out how to avoid these errors for those who do not have the staged version available.
    We're just other users.  This isn't our process.  It is Quicken's process.  

If you want the R28.23 release, it may still be available at: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.28.23MPatch.EXE
  • tgrantdavis
    Here it is again. "A free update to Quicken is available for download." Press the "Download Update button". Response is "Latest version already installed."
    This doesn't give me confidence that quicken knows how to make high quality software.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here it is again. "A free update to Quicken is available for download." Press the "Download Update button". Response is "Latest version already installed."
    This doesn't give me confidence that quicken knows how to make high quality software.
    Right now...

R29.12 is the latest release.
    R29.16 is a staged release.

If you want the R29.16 release, it may still be available at: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.29.16MPatch.EXE
  • tgrantdavis
    Sherlock, I understand the difference that you point out (again) between "latest" and "staged". It is irrelevant whether I want R29.16, or not. The flow in the released tool is broken, and confused with a separate beta installation flow during the staging. It is not the biggest problem, but the message and actions in the program are WRONG. Users get an interruption, saying that there is something to be done, and when they follow the path, they get a contradiction and accomplish nothing. Then, it repeats on every update for a few days, goes away, and returns each month. That is annoying. It would be nice if someone from Quicken would acknowledge this and report on the plan to fix it, or not to fix it.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    IF you're invited to download the Staged Release, there are only a fixed number of downloads of such allowed.
    After that number is reached, the "latest" release is all that you'll get.
    SO, it's not 'broken", you just didn't meet the count/timing criteria.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If you are posting about a beta testing issue, you are in the wrong category in this forum.
    Beta testing issues/questions are supposed to only be posted under the beta test category, NOT in the general forum categories.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock, I understand the difference that you point out (again) between "latest" and "staged". It is irrelevant whether I want R29.16, or not. The flow in the released tool is broken, and confused with a separate beta installation flow during the staging. It is not the biggest problem, but the message and actions in the program are WRONG. Users get an interruption, saying that there is something to be done, and when they follow the path, they get a contradiction and accomplish nothing. Then, it repeats on every update for a few days, goes away, and returns each month. That is annoying. It would be nice if someone from Quicken would acknowledge this and report on the plan to fix it, or not to fix it.
    I think it would be appropriate for Quicken to indicate to users when a new release is staged or latest but Quicken has intentionally chosen not to implement the mechanism that way.

It's possible a moderator might acknowledge the issue and be able to determine if Quicken has plans to improve the implementation.  Normally, the way we report problems is to select Help > Report a Problem...  or contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options  

Within this forum, we may propose ideas that community users vote on.  If an idea gets a significant number of votes, the idea may be implemented.

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    When I run One-Step-Update, it ends with the summary popup with the only error "A free update to Quicken is available for download." Pressing "Download Update" responds with "Latest version already installed". 
    I have to agree with @tgrantdavis that this is a bug and should be fixed.  All the discussion about staged releases is pointless in this case.  If a release is offered via OSU it should be made available for installation.  Regardless of whether some arbitrary number of a limited release has already occurred.  Responding to the offer should complete the install.  All 4 SUs seem to have missed the point of the OP.  
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021