Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Change a saved transaction to "Pay" from empty Check Number?

Why can I not save an item in the register with an empty check number (as a reminder) and then change it to "Pay"(NOTE: I've tried the clunky operation of copying the original and saving it as "Pay" - but when I do this I lose my splits. All this used to work with bill Pay

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Could you clarify what payment method you are trying to use?  I would also be good to know which Quicken program & version you are using.  
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • BRodilitz
    BRodilitz Member
    I am using Quicken - Home, Business... 2020 on a Windows 10 machine. Here is the entire scenario - it is one I have been using successfully through all Quicken bill-paying methods for at least 15 years. What I do is create a line item in my register which will eventually be a credit card payment; I use a dummy check number like "SeptCC". Each time I use the card, I add a line in the Split to reflect the growing balance. By using categories, this is a nice way to track expenditures that will be paid by a single credit card payment. When the cycle ends, I would change the check number to "Send" and use a date just before the due date. However, since the latest new bill paying change, when I modify the check number to "Pay(Quick Pay/Check Pay)", I'm told "Existing transactions may not be converted to payment transactions" - even though the "existing" transaction is just a dummy. I am trying to figure out if this ( the inability to turn a non-electronic transaction into a Quick Pay) is a broken capability or if you could explain why that capability has been removed.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK. That is an usual way to track credit transactions.  I'm sure you know that the standard way is to create an account for the Credit Card and download/categorize transaction into that account. That's the way I do it and the payment has a simple transfer from my bank (without a lot of splits).
    Anyway, Quick Pay is tied very closely to the Bills retrieval feature and not well integrated with traditional reminders.  Do you have the credit cards involved set up as Online Bills?  If so, there may be a way to finesse the system but I'm not sure. Reminders can be linked to bills but I personally keep my reminders separate from my online bills.  Assuming you've set up the card as an online biller, how does the Bills & Income tab present the bill?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
This discussion has been closed.